Defender Returns to North America Merged Threadfest - Page 24 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, I know they're coming in now, I just hope there isn't a sudden flood of them. It may or may not be a piece of art to you, but there is no way around the fact that it is a ridiculously impractical vehicle for most US citizens. The only reason they are still worth what they are is that it has been nearly impossible to bring in more. There is not a high demand for defenders, there is a very low supply. An awful lot of Defenders are owned by wealthy business men who have no intention of taking them off road. They are a rich man's Jeep to many, and if they become abundant the appeal will wither, as will the value.

Granted, my opinions are skewed because I'm an Econ & Business Major and bought my 110 as an investment. I plan to get a 90 to keep after I sell the 110, but for now, I like where the market is at and I hope it will continue to rise. The way I see it, those of us in the know will always be able to find a deal somewhere, so we might as well have a market that allows us to get out even or ahead rather than lose like with most vehicles. Just my $.02
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
I just hope there isn't a sudden flood of them. The only reason they are still worth what they are is that it has been nearly impossible to bring in more. There is not a high demand for defenders, there is a very low supply. An awful lot of Defenders are owned by wealthy business men who have no intention of taking them off road. They are a rich man's Jeep to many, and if they become abundant the appeal will wither, as will the value.
Huh?
Why worry; Beeee happy.
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Yeah, I know they're coming in now, I just hope there isn't a sudden flood of them. It may or may not be a piece of art to you, but there is no way around the fact that it is a ridiculously impractical vehicle for most US citizens. The only reason they are still worth what they are is that it has been nearly impossible to bring in more. There is not a high demand for defenders, there is a very low supply. An awful lot of Defenders are owned by wealthy business men who have no intention of taking them off road. They are a rich man's Jeep to many, and if they become abundant the appeal will wither, as will the value.

Granted, my opinions are skewed because I'm an Econ & Business Major and bought my 110 as an investment. I plan to get a 90 to keep after I sell the 110, but for now, I like where the market is at and I hope it will continue to rise. The way I see it, those of us in the know will always be able to find a deal somewhere, so we might as well have a market that allows us to get out even or ahead rather than lose like with most vehicles. Just my $.02
You wacky econ majors with your investment "vehicles"! I'm a CPA. I'd sell the 110, buy a nice used 90 and invest the change. Bargains gallore in equities right now if you've got the balls.

Pray the dollar stays weak. If it strengthens, I can see a lot more coming in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2008, 08:05 PM
jordan0527
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2

It's not like the Brits have been storing 1983 Defenders for 25 years just waiting to ship them over to the US. A 25 year old 110 or 90 from the UK would most likely be in such terrible shape that you'd need to invest thousands of dollars in it just to make it relatively roadworthy. Not to mention the risk of purchasing from someone in a foreign country, and shipping costs across the pond. Better off getting a younger used NAS that has most likely been someone's second vehicle and has less than 100000 miles on it. Unless you manage to purchase one belonging to the Queen herself...
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Maine 110
Ware/Jesse
Recovering 110 Owner

Bringing the Defender back would be a huge marketing bonus for LRNA. Land Rover has lost clout in the market without offering a true offroad capable icon like the Defender. Look at what Jeep is doing with the JK Rubicon, offered in 2 and 4 doors ready to wheel, even in this crappy economy they are scarce if not hard to come by... why because they fit the image of a capable off road truck, and they live up to it. The JK brands the entire Jeep line as the "Trail Ready" line of SUVs. I am not trying to start some kind of Jeep vs LR argument, I am merely drawing a parallel here that shows how good the Defender would be for the Rover Line in this country. I am dumbfounded as to why the powers that be at LRNA and corporate have been asleep at the wheel for so long. I am not holding my breath though ... I would buy one, if they are anything like the new ones I've seen at dealerships in the Caribbean. Nice Clean examples of our beloved defenders with a diesel engine...

Recovering NAS 110 Owner.

There is a thin line beyond which you really can't fake...
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:57 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan0527
It's not like the Brits have been storing 1983 Defenders for 25 years just waiting to ship them over to the US. A 25 year old 110 or 90 from the UK would most likely be in such terrible shape that you'd need to invest thousands of dollars in it just to make it relatively roadworthy. Not to mention the risk of purchasing from someone in a foreign country, and shipping costs across the pond. Better off getting a younger used NAS that has most likely been someone's second vehicle and has less than 100000 miles on it. Unless you manage to purchase one belonging to the Queen herself...
The art of vin swapping and chassis stamping is prolific in the UK.
Old April 9th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan0527
True, but the parts price and availability are there in the UK. So many old 110's around. All any Brit needs is a title that states 83 and bobs your uncle.

You also have outfits like Global Land Rovers or whomever that guy is posting here and on DWEB.

My guess is the people that really want a 110 and do not want to pay the NAS price will bring one in either refurbished or do it themselves. Call crazy uncle George and spend a bit.

Until this year there were absolutely no 110 scratch build thread. Now there are 2.
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
True, but the parts price and availability are there in the UK. So many old 110's around. All any Brit needs is a title that states 83 and bobs your uncle.

You also have outfits like Global Land Rovers or whomever that guy is posting here and on DWEB.

My guess is the people that really want a 110 and do not want to pay the NAS price will bring one in either refurbished or do it themselves. Call crazy uncle George and spend a bit.

Until this year there were absolutely no 110 scratch build thread. Now there are 2.

IMO, there will be a lot of 110's coming in. After all, there are only 500 NAS units to go around. Many of those will also need substantial work, but the UK 110 won't have the high entry cost. Some will pay for the NAS premium, but many will not. Regardless, there just aren't that many going up for sale. From this year on, someone with $10k and up can go get a 110. Companies are starting to respond, and pretty soon inventory will build. Some may be junk, but there will be buyers. For the guy who wants to toy around with a LR for a few years, not the collector or the aficionado, this will be the easiest way into a 110.
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

You'd think. But with all the talk over on DWEEB at the beginning of the year you'd think they would have sold their junk and bought a UK D110. But not many have done so. That is the most envious forum out there IMO.

I think there is a lot of talk right now. It's a pipe dream for me at this point. I'll start saving for one in the fall and do it right. New everything and hold onto it. 300tdi would be nice.

Web Fabricating is Fun though. My hat is off to the guys that actually do it.
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
You'd think. But with all the talk over on DWEEB at the beginning of the year you'd think they would have sold their junk and bought a UK D110. But not many have done so. That is the most envious forum out there IMO.

I think there is a lot of talk right now. It's a pipe dream for me at this point. I'll start saving for one in the fall and do it right. New everything and hold onto it. 300tdi would be nice.

Web Fabricating is Fun though. My hat is off to the guys that actually do it.
Here's my take.

Those aren't necessarily the ones who will be buying up these trucks. Some will, of course. I imagine more than a few 110-on-a-budget/"every spare dollar goes to the car" types will, unfortunately, get burned.

My guess is that the predominance of these 110's will go to the sort of people who can buy and sell a $10-20-30k car without worrying about daily driver issues or financing. They will be special interest/hobby cars that will trade hands often and allow people to exercise some interest they have in owning a "real" LR.

Another significant portion of these likely will be imported with the idea they will rebuilt by various shops. Expect to see a lot of '83 110's with awful diamond plate work, odd-ball roll bar designs, and sketchy frame patch jobs. Most will be painted black, yellow, or some custom color.
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:00 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

AA is 83-84 VIN identification for defender. So there is no actual 1983 VIN#.. It takes historical documents along with the VIN# to make it correct.

HINT

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

My thinking is, the 110s are going for so much that you can import one that is relatively rough and rebuild it to like new. I personally have replaced an awful lot on my NAS 110 and if you can do the work yourself it is not nearly as expensive if you start with a cheap base and then you can build it exactly how you want it and have a like new vehicle.

I personally love the NAS trucks and would pay a little more to find one in decent shape and fix it up, but like someone else mentioned, there are only so many and I think there will be a decent market for EU trucks if they are here. I watch the 110 market pretty closely and even rough ones are going for around $40k, really nice ones are going as high as $150k. If you buy a rough truck from the EU for $10k you can spend $30k (either yourself or to a company) to rebuild it and it will be much nicer than the $40k NAS trucks currently being offered.

Eric...that is precisely my plan, sell the 110, buy a 90 and invest the rest!

One day I'll probably have another 110, but not right now, I like the ST 90s a lot, and don't need the extra room at this point in my life.
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Are you going to sell it at the dealership so you can exact a premium?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 10th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
My thinking is, the 110s are going for so much that you can import one that is relatively rough and rebuild it to like new. I personally have replaced an awful lot on my NAS 110 and if you can do the work yourself it is not nearly as expensive if you start with a cheap base and then you can build it exactly how you want it and have a like new vehicle.

I personally love the NAS trucks and would pay a little more to find one in decent shape and fix it up, but like someone else mentioned, there are only so many and I think there will be a decent market for EU trucks if they are here. I watch the 110 market pretty closely and even rough ones are going for around $40k, really nice ones are going as high as $150k. If you buy a rough truck from the EU for $10k you can spend $30k (either yourself or to a company) to rebuild it and it will be much nicer than the $40k NAS trucks currently being offered.

Eric...that is precisely my plan, sell the 110, buy a 90 and invest the rest!

One day I'll probably have another 110, but not right now, I like the ST 90s a lot, and don't need the extra room at this point in my life.

Yeah. I am kinda bitter as the 110s always went for more and suited my lifestyle back in the day.

After looking at Timm Cooper builds on the net I think I want a 109 from him. Net net I'll be about the same as building a 110 anyway.

You need to brush up on your accounting. You forgot shipping, all sorts of misc. fees, transport et al. You could end up with much less than 30k to spend if you had to transport it from port any distance.

Start a 401k. Retire with your rover fleet early. and out west where there is no salt
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Couple more new 110s on the board. Kinda makes me want a real NAS 110.

EwS
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:36 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

As prices rise, and the limited number of NAS 110's continue to trade hands; I wonder how soon it will be before places like ECR start getting requests to restore 110 diesel conversions back to stock configuration.
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:57 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
As prices rise, and the limited number of NAS 110's continue to trade hands; I wonder how soon it will be before places like ECR start getting requests to restore 110 diesel conversions back to stock configuration.
Hence the reason why we save all these old parts do mods that can be easily undone (as in not cutting wiring, but making sub harnesses) that allow the truck to go back to stock without too much hassle.

Already we "down size" a lot of 110s. These days we take out more lift kits than we put in 110s. The trend you mention has already started IMO.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old April 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
You need to brush up on your accounting. You forgot shipping, all sorts of misc. fees, transport et al. You could end up with much less than 30k to spend if you had to transport it from port any distance.
True, but shipping isn't all that much. You can ship a truck across the country for about $1,500 and as I said, an NAS for $40k still needs a lot, so you could restore one to better shape for that. I admit you very well may be over $40k to have it perfect, but you'd still have less in it than an NAS 110 in the same condition IMO.
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
There are 24 pages to this thread. Sorry if this has already been posted, but it may be worth pointing out again.
Refer to the last two paragraphs.

http://www.drivesouth.co.nz/news/roa...ngered-species

Seems like the rest of the word is catching up to US safety levels. Tata will have to change the Defender in some way.
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:55 PM
fleabus
Dan
None :(

Apologies in advance if this has already been posted elsewhere: