Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Ariesblu
stop this nonsense

If the world succumbs to nuclear annihilation, there will only be roaches and an odd thread or two about when the Defender might return.
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2008, 02:41 AM
proulx70
Paul S.
1997 NAS BRG Soft-Top
D-90 Source Vendor

Inklings of the new NAS Defender!

OK folks, get ready! I was poking around on the Google Patent Search (working on some stuff for our favorite vehicle) and I found something VERY interesting.

There is a patent owned by Ford and an engineer in Great Britain for a rear roll cage with side curtain airbags built into it! It references that it's for off road vehicles such as a "those manufactured by Land Rover(TM)". Land Rover is the only brand specifically mentioned.

Check it out.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=PgW...+rover#PPA5,M1

Looks like it's coming back. Better not have and I-6 like I've heard rumored! But I've heard that Tata Motors is going to be much more hands-off than Ford.

P~
Old April 4th, 2008, 04:19 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh perfect, they've engineered a way for a roll cage to cost even more than a NAS one!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 4th, 2008, 04:51 AM
minorthreat
Lance
1997 LE, 1997 Black ST

Cool find, but I don't really care if the Defender comes back or not. I already have one. And I doubt I'll feel the love for the next incarnation. Time will tell.
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Still have to deal with the front airbags and getting everything approved by the Feds.

I don't think we'll see any in the near future, if not for the economy alone.
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:32 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulx70
OK folks, get ready! I was poking around on the Google Patent Search (working on some stuff for our favorite vehicle) and I found something VERY interesting.

There is a patent owned by Ford and an engineer in Great Britain for a rear roll cage with side curtain airbags built into it! It references that it's for off road vehicles such as a "those manufactured by Land Rover(TM)". Land Rover is the only brand specifically mentioned.

Check it out.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=PgW...+rover#PPA5,M1

Looks like it's coming back. Better not have and I-6 like I've heard rumored! But I've heard that Tata Motors is going to be much more hands-off than Ford.

P~
Cool Find, thanks for sharing! Though, like the others, I'm a bit concerned that if a 'Defender' ever reaches these shores again, it will bare little resemblance to the simple, durable Defender we know and love...

Old April 4th, 2008, 11:35 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Cool Find, thanks for sharing! Though, like the others, I'm a bit concerned that if a 'Defender' ever reaches these shores again, it will bare little resemblance to the simple, durable Defender we know and love...

and as soon as they make the "new one" they'll start dropping even more "classic" Defender parts from production so even more parts will be NLA.

... but at least if it does come back we'll get to hear a big "I told you so!" from those people who have been saying it is coming back "soon" and waiting to buy one since 1998!!!

Follow-up Post:

FJ40 is to FJCruiser
as
Defender is to "new" Defender

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
FJ40 is to FJCruiser
as
That is such a great quote. I bet if it does come back it will be so true.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old April 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Wait! The Defender is coming back??????
Old April 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

What are they going to call it... the LR1. How fun would a LR1 be with IFS and 6cyl, with 18" chrome wheels and a DVD player on the roof.

It would probably have a plastic roll cage like the 3 door Freelander.

Sorry, in a pissy mood today.

Old April 4th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I can't see a market for it at all unless it would be done like the FJCruiser. Think about it--all of us would LOVE it, but only a few of us would buy it and everyone else would compare it to the other "SUV" similar trucks and it would probably lose. For the general public, Toyotas and Jeeps are much better sellers.

When Ford owned it, and they showed prototypes of the Bronco/D90, I really liked those designs--even better than the FJ Cruiser (which I like) and the 4-door Rubicon which I also like. I am for bringing it back, but I for one am not going to hold my breath...or my hope.
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Before the Ford sale, wasn't the fully redesigned Defender due in 2011 or 2013? This would be the one meeting all upcoming EU regs. If anything, it would be more likely that this future model would get the airbags. As it is, I believe the existing Defender won't meet either US or future EU specs.

If anything, the financial woes of Ford and the PAG likely saved us from some LR1 platform derivative "lifestyle" version they kept hinting at years back.
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:21 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
and as soon as they make the "new one" they'll start dropping even more "classic" Defender parts from production so even more parts will be NLA.

... but at least if it does come back we'll get to hear a big "I told you so!" from those people who have been saying it is coming back "soon" and waiting to buy one since 1998!!!

Follow-up Post:

FJ40 is to FJCruiser
as
the new fj makes me cry...
Old April 6th, 2008, 05:46 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

FJ Cruiser....I heard it's going to be the new NATO replacement for the Defender.
Old April 7th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
This thread is just pissing me off....
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I wonder what percentage of the cost of a "new" defender made in the UK is labour. At .75 cents an hour in India as opposed to $75 an hour in the UK, it might make sense to produce it there.
Old April 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I wonder what percentage of the cost of a "new" defender made in the UK is labour. At .75 cents an hour in India as opposed to $75 an hour in the UK, it might make sense to produce it there.
I'm not really for supporting the high wages of the UK(local it's not that much money) however i'm definitely against the slave labor conditions that would result in a factory paying only .75 an hour to it's employees...
Old April 8th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Now its pissing me off too! I for one hope it never comes back...I just want to watch ours keep appreciating. In fact, I hope they make it illegal to import any european versions too! I like that they are nearly all true NAS right now and only a few have found ways to get newer ones in. If too many euro versions make it over it will start to decrease the price and the rarity of the ones that are here now. Admittedly it will take a lot of them to do that but still...
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:22 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Most recent Autoweek had a blurb on Land Rover/Tata. It listed dates when design change projects would be put into production. Only mention of the Defender and any changes was for 2015 and it said that was an Autoweek "guess" with no real data, and that they likely saw Tata keeping a simple rugged 4x4 to continue or expand other world markets and not making the Defender into a "car" like most other utes (read between the lines and that means a simple truck that won't have all the BS on it needed for US EPA and DOT).
So for all those guys waiting for its return to the USA... keep waiting!

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Now its pissing me off too! I for one hope it never comes back...I just want to watch ours keep appreciating. In fact, I hope they make it illegal to import any european versions too! I like that they are nearly all true NAS right now and only a few have found ways to get newer ones in. If too many euro versions make it over it will start to decrease the price and the rarity of the ones that are here now. Admittedly it will take a lot of them to do that but still...
They are already importing 83 110s. Soon the first 90s will begin to come in. It's a truck, not a peice of art or an investment. Enjoy it and let the collectors worry about decreasing value. As far as appreciation, that is individual to the sale. With the economy as it is I doubt you'll see very many high 40k sales. Hell, 30k would be a good price for a well kept D IMO.

I say the more the merrier. Hopefully the after market will respond to the increased population.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat