Defender Returns to North America Merged Threadfest - Page 17 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 26th, 2005, 04:43 PM
m.michaels
Matthew Michaels
1997 D90 SW

Don't worry

Won't we have to wait until 2033 to legally import the 2008 Defender? See there really is a silver lining . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 26th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I kinda dig it if they didn't call it "The New Defender". Maybe if they called it an LR4 or something as long as they don't put the Defender name to shame. It will be a good alternative to the Yukon/Tahoe crowd and I bet would make some pretty decent profit for LR - hopefully enough to still produce a kick-ass, no-frills TRUCK like our Defenders.

I think it will be a cool people mover and dirt road safari every once in awhile. Just don't attempt to make it "The New Defender".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 26th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

LR will likely cede the commercial market soon. There really isn't much share left in agricultural, NGO, and military market vehicles. They might offer some stripper that the UN will drive more or less like we see highway department Suburbans. At this point, I don't think LR is generating the revenue necessary to justify a separate platform with a ladder frame and live axle arrangment.

The commercial market is the key. Once that goes, the vehicles become lifestyle props. Jeep was never the same once the M38A1 went out of production. Out went the PTO and in came the Ken Doll Beach Edition. It will be rather disappointing if LR chooses this route with the new Defender.
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2005, 01:44 AM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

If that is the direction that LR is heading then lets hope they do what they've done in the past and keep a "Defender Classic" in the line.
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:10 PM
sbfall96
Jeff Edwards
1995 D-90

2007 LR Defender

Curious... Do you think the return of the Defender model w/ the new 2008 USA sold Defenders will increase or decrease the market value of the 84-97 NAS Defenders?

http://www.roverparts.com/VehicleRev...ender_2007.cfm
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:18 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Oh god. Here we go again
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:19 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfall96
Curious... Do you think the return of the Defender model w/ the new 2008 USA sold Defenders will increase or decrease the market value of the 84-97 NAS Defenders?

http://www.roverparts.com/VehicleRev...ender_2007.cfm
those don't look quite as nice as the previous model, i don't think it will have too much of an affect
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

A few things will have to happen first.

1. The new ones will actually have to get built.
2. They would need to be an improvement on the current Defender.
3. They would have to be around a few years to the point they are less than the US Value of a Defender.

If they end up being kick-ass trucks that are a big improvement on the current version, it could reduce value a bit. If they are utter crap, then we may actually see an uptick in the value as the Brits suddenly loose their source of new vehicles and start holding on to them longer.

Personally, I don't see much of a change as the value of the NAS Defenders is based on more than just the lack of new production vehicles. There is a lot of history, ability and just plain coolness to them. Then throw the absurdly low number of US version trucks into the equation, and I honestly don't see the value going down long term. Maybe a slight hiccup when (IF) new ones come to the US, but prices will most likely keep going up.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

And how is this a technical question?
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

First, this should be moved to Chit Chat.

Second, I would advise you to take a look at the Toyota Landcruiser and see if an 1984 good condition FJ40 has increased or decreased in value with all the "new" models of Land Cruisers over the years.
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I wish AB would take that crap off of their worthless f'n website.

Thats how I really feel.
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Atlantic British isn't worthless...... sometimes you can reference part numbers off their website to buy from other places that aren't ripping you off.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:41 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I spoke too soon.

But I laugh my ass off when I read "Staking a claim for customization" in the Defender section. I wish they'd spend less time sitting around thinking of "marketing language" and more time doing something else like figuring out how to not charge 500 dollars for 50 bucks worth of stainless hardware.
Old February 25th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Man, what is it with this subject! It's like a Fruit cake, it never goes away! I bet in 2010 we still get this question! LOL

Oh and I once bought a break line clamp from AB while I was at MAR, but I needed something to clamp off the rear breakline to get home as the Visegrips were holding something else on the 90 at the time :P
Old February 25th, 2006, 02:52 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Looks like it might happen by 2008. I just googled "defender L317" and most current info says it will be produced off the LR3 chasis. It is code named L317. It sounds like it will not satisfy us defender owners who apreciate the Defender for it's simplicity and riggedness. I know the new one will never be what we hoped but I at least hope they stick to the utilitarian styling cues that set it apart from everything else. I hope it does well for LR and does not go the way of the Freelander.
Old February 25th, 2006, 03:20 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
Looks like it might happen by 2008. I just googled "defender L317" and most current info says it will be produced off the LR3 chasis. It is code named L317. It sounds like it will not satisfy us defender owners who apreciate the Defender for it's simplicity and riggedness. I know the new one will never be what we hoped but I at least hope they stick to the utilitarian styling cues that set it apart from everything else. I hope it does well for LR and does not go the way of the Freelander.

Erm, so I searched "Defender L317", and cannot for the life of me find a reputable/ even slightly respectable looking website that talks about it, or that even offers any info other than the fact that it is based on an LR3 platform..... So, i`ll believe it when i see it on the road
Old February 25th, 2006, 10:46 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I never said anything about reputable or even respectable I was just passing on some info I found. It is the first time I have seen the "new" Defender given a code name which amounts to nothing. I dont know why people get so worked up about it, and I mean worked up about it coming or not coming. It seems folks get downright upset at the prospect of the Defender showing up or not showing up. Everyone has a friend of a friend who knows someone who works as a janitor at LR who says there is or is not a new Defender coming There is certainly no harm in talking about it. Lets all breath through or noses and count to 10 and then come out fighting
Old February 25th, 2006, 12:38 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Let's just pretend... In some amount of time it does show up on our shores...then what? Is it going to be a competition over who has the better, more respectable defender? Will it be like the jeeps, with the round headlighters against the more modern square headlighters? Will some of us trade our classic defenders in on the new one? In my book, that is not likely.

We all know that no matter what the new Defender looks like, it will be more like an LR3, computerized and managed, being more of a mall truck than an advernture truck. So, who cares?

LR would be stupid not to bring it back...especially seeing the rise in the off road movement. Toyota is bring in a new version of the FJ40... Ford is bringing back the new and improved Bronco, and even Jeep is equiping their trucks better.

It will not be the same... It may hurt our value slightly, but not many of us are willing to part with the truck. We may run into a few punks that will try and talk smack, 'cause they have the new and improved 90, but we'll know the reality.

Just like the LR3, some love it and some hate it. Who cares.

Old February 25th, 2006, 12:58 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Let's just pretend... In some amount of time it does show up on our shores...then what? Is it going to be a competition over who has the better, more respectable defender? Will it be like the jeeps, with the round headlighters against the more modern square headlighters? Will some of us trade our classic defenders in on the new one? In my book, that is not likely.

We all know that no matter what the new Defender looks like, it will be more like an LR3, computerized and managed, being more of a mall truck than an advernture truck. So, who cares?

LR would be stupid not to bring it back...especially seeing the rise in the off road movement. Toyota is bring in a new version of the FJ40... Ford is bringing back the new and improved Bronco, and even Jeep is equiping their trucks better.

It will not be the same... It may hurt our value slightly, but not many of us are willing to part with the truck. We may run into a few punks that will try and talk smack, 'cause they have the new and improved 90, but we'll know the reality.

Just like the LR3, some love it and some hate it. Who cares.

Amen, brother
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If they did bring it back, and I liked its style, I would consider getting one. I would get it for my daily driver (which currently is a 2000 DiscoII w/130,000miles). But my off roader would still be the D90, as it is whenever I need a dose of "cool". That is right, a dose of "cool". Everyone that has one has got to know what I meanj (and if you don't, I am sorry. Maybe you should see a Dr.). You just don't get that in most new cars--you would in any of your favorite cars like a convertible jag (e-type?) or 50's vette, but "current" favorite cars are not necessarily cool cars--you think they are becasue they are new and you have buyers goggles on. But they get old, it gets a dent, you don't continue washing it a couple times a week... And when they get old, only a few of them stay cool. You start to look for your next new car... Not true with a D90, at least not for me...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat