Defender Returns to North America Merged Threadfest - Page 16 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 18th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

I actually went to see "Bat Boy the Musical." I'm not much on musicals or plays and whatnot, but when I saw an ad in the paper describing a musical based on the tragic story of Batboy, I had to go check it out.

It was actually really good. Totally tongue-in- cheeck and hysterical. I thought I was the only one who thought the Batboy story was hysterical, but apparently a lot of people saw the humor in that, to the extent that they made a musical about his life.

My exgirlfriend finally got the joke at the musical -- she was constantly giving me shit about buying the Weekly World news every place we went before that. But I had to see where Batboy would be spotted next.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
I spoke too soon. It appears Bat Boy has already learned the Defender won't be coming back.
ROFLMAO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Jimbo
James Falchetto

Batti Boys aka Ali G?
Old August 18th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Matt,

I heard that show, in the theater at Canal Place, was really good. We were walking toward the elevator and I about died when I saw the poster outside.

Couldn't you hear the dialogue when that guy at World News meets people for the first time.

"Oh, your a writer, how interesting. Maybe I've read some of your work."

"Well..."
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

Yup, that's where I saw it. I about died when I found out about it and had to go see it.

For anyone wondering what the hell we're talking about, The Weekly World News, a tabloid that makes the Inquirer look like the New York Times, ran a story that continued for months about a half boy, half bat that the authorities were trying to hunt down. They never could catch up to him, and he was spotted all over the country doing hilarious stuff. They always had pictures of him, but for some reason they couldn't get him. When they finally did catch him, the military sent him to the Middle East to help out and they got a great shot of him biting Osama Bin Laden on the neck from behind.

It might sound totally gay, but trust me, if you read it, you'd think it was hysterical. The thing took on a life of its own and got really popular. It was so ridiculous.

I'd be proud as hell if I were the writer of that. Whoever was behind it had a great sense of humor, and the situations they put Batboy in were brilliant.

I wish I had saved all those stories, but I have enough clutter with random rover parts -- I don't need a stockpile of weekly world news to keep track of.

Follow-up Post:

Here's an example, for anyone interested. Apparently, this happened after Batboy came back from the Middle East and escaped military custody.

BAT BOY STEALS CAR -- AND GOES ON THREE STATE JOY RIDE!
MISSING HALF-BAT, HALF-HUMAN STRIKES AGAIN!
DETROIT -- Bat Boy, the world's favorite winged freak, went on an incredible, death-defying joyride through Michigan, Indiana and Ohio after carjacking a brand new Mini Cooper -- and is still on the lam somewhere in America!

The brazen theft took place in the crowded parking lot of a Mini dealership. Eyewitnesses report that the Mini Cooper's owner had just accepted the keys to the vehicle when Bat Boy jumped out from behind some bushes, snatched the keys and sped away.

"The whole thing happened in a matter of seconds," says the car's horrified owner, who asked not to be identified. "The dealer had just handed me the keys when this monstrous creature appeared out of nowhere and tore off like a bat out of hell."

Police suspect that Bat Boy had been casing the dealership for hours, waiting for just the right moment to strike. Two employees gave chase, but Bat Boy quickly lost them in traffic.

Police say they are looking for a red Mini Cooper, last seen around Akron. A police spokesman says, "That little speed demon was heading East on Interstate 80. We urge all motorists to be on the lookout for this car, and to notify authorities if they see a Mini Cooper driven by a bat-like creature."

There were numerous sightings of Bat Boy following the theft, but police have been unable to locate him and he remains at large as of this writing.

"We know where Bat Boy has been during his little adventure -- we just don't know where he is now," notes FBI Special Agent Jack Trasker.

"We've been tracking his movements via reports of gas station drive-offs -- apparently Bat Boy is stealing gas when the tank runs low and drives away before police can respond."

Bat Boy learned how to drive while working with the U.S. military combating terrorism in Afghanistan.

Secret military files leaked to Weekly World News report that he stole at least two Jeeps and a tank during his stint there.

Since returning to the United States, Bat Boy's behavior has become increasingly erratic.

Three months ago he escaped from government custody and became a fugitive.

Police reports collected from stunned onlookers put Bat Boy in at least three different states. Sitings include:

* The Detroit Zoo, where he was believed to be looking for a quick snack.
* Drive-through of an Indiana donut shop. Several police officers taking a break in the shop gave chase, but Bat Boy managed to lose them in traffic.
* Interstate chase in Ohio. With cops in hot pursuit, Bat Boy whizzed down the Interstate at speeds in excess of 100 miles an hour.

Authorities are desperate to recapture Bat Boy, and have asked the nation's driving public to immediately report anything unusual. FBI and police scoured the tri-state area via car and helicopter, but they're no closer to capturing Bat Boy than they were three months ago.

"Hell, he could be a thousand miles from here by now," notes Agent Trasker, who has been on Bat Boy's tail since he escaped government custody.

"For someone so weird, he manages to hide himself pretty easily. With winter just around the corner, he'll probably head south.

"We already have task forces assembled in Georgia, North Carolina and Florida so when he shows up, we'll be ready."

In the meantime, the owner of the stolen Mini Cooper says he probably won't press charges should Bat Boy finally be captured.

"I hope Bat Boy learns his lesson and turns himself in," the man says. "I just want my Mini Cooper back."

Check out the witnesses photo's in the current (January 2003 Special) "Newsstand Issue" on sale now!
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:15 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
2008 Defender

http://www.roverparts.com/Vehicle_Re...nder_2007.html

Kinda makes you sick , doesn't it?

97 D90 SW
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:24 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

........again
Attached Images

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:46 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

REPOST! This is VERY old news and it has been cover way too much.

And Dave's gif is a very accurate display of what we all do when we see this. I think it should come up every time someone posts about 08 new Defenders in the US. And to be honest I am pretty sure that info is now inaccurate.
Old October 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

David I love that!!
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old October 21st, 2005, 04:30 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Can someone with status and influence write AB and ask them to take that crap off the website so it stops being "discovered"?
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:21 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
........again

BWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! That was pretty funny David!
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:47 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Idea. How about a sticky with a huge !STOP POSTING ABOUT THE 2008 DEFENDER!!!!
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:56 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

Mike, I think it's time for a READ ME FIRST sticky.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 11:34 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Sorry about the post. I didn't know it was such old news. Next time I will search before posting. However, it is in the October 2005 Ed. of Land Rover World magazine with the same picture and it does say that they are, ..."finalising designs for the 2008 Defender." This led me to believe that this is what it is going to look like. Again, very sorry for not searching first.

97 D90 SW
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:26 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Well, this ISN'T old news ... Got this out of one of my LR Mags... OCTOBER 2005 Issue, pic from Land Rover.

Hideous... Isn't it ?

N
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008Defender.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	4181  

Old October 26th, 2005, 01:43 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
That's exactly where I saw the article too. But watch out, nobody wants to discuss it around here. It's not an attractive vehicle at all. I wonder if it going to be made of aluminum still.

97 D90 SW
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

What is that

Maybe they'll keep making the current modle for all of us nonyuppies.
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:53 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

I sure hope AB offers a chromed bike rack to go along with the '08 Defender.
Old October 26th, 2005, 01:56 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Mike,

'What is that' is right... If they go this route, it will definitely be the end of the Defender, the end of a truly magnificent era.

OH well, mine's not going anywhere.

It's funny, that's the only vehicle if I ever see it on the road, I'm going to pull up to them and say 'What in God's name were you thinking ?' ... LOL. I know EE will buy one...

Muddy,

Yeah, they just get peeved when you don't use the search tool and take up server space. Oh well, don't worry about it at least you're a true enthusiast.... and that's what counts in my book.

Cheers,

Nicholas

Old October 26th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Oh look. They put round headlights back on the Disco.

Not one person could name what that was supposed to be when I showed them the pics. I got a lot of 'generic SUV' responses.
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:17 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

That's f'n ugly!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat