Defender Redesign? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
bjf's Avatar
bjf
Status: Online
barry f
94 ST #395
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,969
Check out a BMW X5 4.8. Super nice. Payment is decent too. Just went through this and even though they are offering sick money off land rovers right now, the residuals are so low that lease payments suck. I love land rovers but for a new SUV the X5 loaded is nicer, faster, and cheaper (lease wise for comparable msrp)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:13 AM
jordan0527's Avatar
jordan0527
Status: Offline
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Check out a BMW X5 4.8. Super nice. Payment is decent too. Just went through this and even though they are offering sick money off land rovers right now, the residuals are so low that lease payments suck. I love land rovers but for a new SUV the X5 loaded is nicer, faster, and cheaper (lease wise for comparable msrp)
I like the 4.8, but lease payment for 2 years is about 5K down and 1k/month if you want any decent combination of option packages. I'm paying 800/month for 24 months on my HSE, which would put me in the 3.0 range on an X5. I've driven both, and just don't care for the 3.0.

Plus, I like the size of the Sport better. The X5 was almost renamend the X7 because of it's added size over the previous generation (I believe 6" longer) and it just feels a little big. Especially for someone like me who doesn't have kids and hence no need for extra space.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM
discotdi
Status: Offline
Todd Miller
Land Rover
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fairburn, GA USA
Posts: 1,029
The lease rates and residuals are very good for the Sport right now. You can lease a Sport for about $800 per month or a Supercharged version for about $1000. The rates for the RR and the LR3 are terrible however. I can't imagine a LR fan buying the whored out X5 over the fantastic RR Sport.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:21 PM
GYM's Avatar
GYM
Status: Offline
Gary
97 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,062
Am I the only one that cringes at the thought of an $800 to $1,000 monthly payment on a car - and a lease, no less?

Would those of you who have these big lease payments still do it if you couldn't write off the business expense end of it?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:04 PM
jordan0527's Avatar
jordan0527
Status: Offline
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Would those of you who have these big lease payments still do it if you couldn't write off the business expense end of it?
NO
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Defender50th's Avatar
Defender50th
Status: Offline
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by globallandrovers
I was in a UK dealer today, they say production on the current defender is due to end at the end of this year. the tooling is being shipped to India, where the military applications will continue to be made. There are no plans to continue to produce the civilian version.
Hang on, am i reading this right, Defenders are stopping production for the civilian one here in the uk? No way, thats wrong ....
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
globallandrovers's Avatar
globallandrovers
Status: Offline
Julian Kotting
1999 P38 DT, 1997 LHD 110 CSW
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hertford UK, Wilmington, NC, Austin, TX and OH
Posts: 1,522
Registry
James, this came from the head of sales at pilling land Rover in Welwyn Garden City. I know it stinks, perhaps we shold see if we can buy the licence!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Land Rover Defender Specialist. - We ship worldwide.
We are a specialist in TDI re-power conversions, and Crate 'turn key' Land Rover TDI and TD5 engines and Transmissions.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,527
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Am I the only one that cringes at the thought of an $800 to $1,000 monthly payment on a car - and a lease, no less?

Would those of you who have these big lease payments still do it if you couldn't write off the business expense end of it?

Probably worth while to do through your company etc. so the man doesn't get it.
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Defender50th's Avatar
Defender50th
Status: Offline
James
'94 NAS AA Yellow
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by globallandrovers
James, this came from the head of sales at pilling land Rover in Welwyn Garden City. I know it stinks, perhaps we shold see if we can buy the licence!
I run this by someone who would know and its not correct infomation. Maybe they are trying to get people to panic buy new defenders
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:23 AM
globallandrovers's Avatar
globallandrovers
Status: Offline
Julian Kotting
1999 P38 DT, 1997 LHD 110 CSW
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hertford UK, Wilmington, NC, Austin, TX and OH
Posts: 1,522
Registry
perhaps, I was buying a new soft top and poles for a double cab at the time, they cost me over £600
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Land Rover Defender Specialist. - We ship worldwide.
We are a specialist in TDI re-power conversions, and Crate 'turn key' Land Rover TDI and TD5 engines and Transmissions.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM
paulb's Avatar
paulb
Status: Offline
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Los Altos Hills California USA
Posts: 787
Interesting flow of topics - all in this one thread. But everyone, take the passion to the side for a moment and look at the busines.
Automobile manufacturing is about double what present day demand needs. Presently, there are over 5 million cars sitting in the US looking for love, or even a 3 yr trist. God knows how many sit in Europe and in Asia. Land Rover owner Tata is seeing areas of financial stress (as are all other manufacturers) so why retool & set up a line for an outdated Defender platform? Overall, an outdated platform, systems and production line means unduly high costs and production times (hours to build a truck). Now add to this LR/Ford missed the boat again and again on the low end/middle end of the market, just look at the competitions "off road" vehicles redesigned or designed in the last 5 years. Take another example, the Ford Focus - Ford has stated that to US prep the Focus would cost $1300 for a bumper upgrade to US standards, so will not have the car until 2010 model.
How much would a Defender cost to met US spec.s? Bumper, air bags, roll over strength, more... So although the future potential for all Land Rovers is there, it is still not an assured element and why should it be?
STOP!, wait guys cause I can already see the eyes bulging. Again, business model is to make a vehicle that is capable of going off road but that in most cases NEVER DOES IT. The 12,000 US Defender owners do not make a viable market segment, will never make a market segment, nor should make a market segment if Tata is smart. Tata should listen to us, and to Defender owners globally, but.

My personal wish, global company TATA launches and introduces in the US the Nano, keeps the Sport and adds a recreational vehicle called...can anyone say Defender in Hindi?

Oh andto everyone who can lease a RR or a Sport, power to you, as they really are sweet but that is not my demographic.
__________________
I'm contemplating thinking about thinking about it!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:29 PM
GYM's Avatar
GYM
Status: Offline
Gary
97 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
...Automobile manufacturing is about double what present day demand needs. Presently, there are over 5 million cars sitting in the US looking for love, or even a 3 yr trist. God knows how many sit in Europe and in Asia. Land Rover owner Tata is seeing areas of financial stress (as are all other manufacturers) so why retool & set up a line for an outdated Defender platform? Overall, an outdated platform, systems and production line means unduly high costs and production times (hours to build a truck). Now add to this LR/Ford missed the boat again and again on the low end/middle end of the market, just look at the competitions "off road" vehicles redesigned or designed in the last 5 years. Take another example, the Ford Focus - Ford has stated that to US prep the Focus would cost $1300 for a bumper upgrade to US standards, so will not have the car until 2010 model.
How much would a Defender cost to met US spec.s? Bumper, air bags, roll over strength, more... So although the future potential for all Land Rovers is there, it is still not an assured element and why should it be?
STOP!, wait guys cause I can already see the eyes bulging. Again, business model is to make a vehicle that is capable of going off road but that in most cases NEVER DOES IT. The 12,000 US Defender owners do not make a viable market segment, will never make a market segment, nor should make a market segment if Tata is smart. Tata should listen to us, and to Defender owners globally, but...
We're all enthusiasts. That entitles us to be dreamers. We want our Defenders the way we want them period.
Why try and pollute our dreams with logic and sound business reasoning? ;-)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
94 NAS Defender 90-P.O.E.(Port of Entry) 1 of 65 made! on EBAY SeanD-90 Misc. Chit-Chat 29 May 27th, 2017 08:14 AM
Whats in my container??????? SafariHP The Vendors Loft 30 November 26th, 2015 07:31 AM
Slickrock Defender 90 Sliders dave_lucas The Vendors Loft 15 November 28th, 2010 04:45 PM
Defender 90 Scoop For Sale - Vehicles 0 December 10th, 2005 11:46 PM
1994 Red Defender 90 for sale BrianConway321 For Sale - Vehicles 5 February 22nd, 2005 09:27 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Copyright