Defender parts? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 5th, 2004, 02:18 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Cool Defender parts?

I went into the Land Rover dealership yesterday looking for the gasket that goes under the drive flanges at the end of our axles. They looked up the part # and said none in stock. So I say how about a Disco I gasket they are the same thing.

Aha we have those in stock so I take two. Just out of curiosity what is the difference in price? The Defender part # is $2 plus change.....the Disco part # is $ .86.

I wonder how many other parts that interchange are priced this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2004, 11:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

right stuff!
Old November 6th, 2004, 05:02 AM
4WD-90
Christopher Stanish
1994 defender 90

Can someone put together a list of parts that are interchangable, then post them for everyone to use? I think that would be very helpful to everyone on this site. Just a thought....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2004, 06:05 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Chris,

Just post when you need a part and someone will tell you who has it for the least money, err rather the best deal (best price is not always the best value). Actually, 9 times out of 10 just searching this site will tell you where to buy. I think you will find with a few exceptions--mainly upgraded and custom parts--that genuine is the way to go in the end and many cheaper alternatives require more money to work and do not last as long.

I have never seen something that is more expensive when listed for a defender than another rover when the part is actually the same (remember I was a parts manager for a dealer). The dealer in question in the example above probably did not see the supersede to the newer "disco" part or for some unknown reason there is a slight difference between the two.

94-95 D90s share many parts with the 87-94 Range Rover classics. 97 D90s share many parts with discovery 1. There are often slight differences. D90 engine lists as a differnt number than a range rover or disco but they are interchangable.

Ron
Old November 6th, 2004, 07:41 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

There already is somewhat of a list maintained here on the site in the Tech Articles http://www.defendersource.com/tech/part_sub.html so if anyone has additions, please feel free to post them here or email them in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD-90
Can someone put together a list of parts that are interchangable, then post them for everyone to use? I think that would be very helpful to everyone on this site. Just a thought....

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 7th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I am with Ron. Right Stuff. Matter of fact, I now use that on my front cover, too. I love the stuff. If I broke my leg, I would probably try Right Stiuff before I would cast it. ..... well, maybe not my leg....
Old November 7th, 2004, 02:13 AM
evilfij
evilfij

"well, maybe not my leg...." but a finger . . .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
part, parts