Defender on Toyota Rolling Chassis - Advisable? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 10th, 2016, 12:36 PM
1989 Land rover Defender 110
Defender on Toyota Rolling Chassis - Advisable?

Originally Posted by PorscheRescue View Post
This is the end of a long odyssey. We imported two Defenders around the time that the federal government decided that Osama Bin Laden was less of a priority than old diesel trucks. My two trucks were caught up in the absurd sweep that we all know about. As a matter of principle, I sued customs and border patrol for possession of my trucks. Long story short, the trucks are free and clear by virtue of settlement with the US Attorney......three years and a thousand legal hours later.

Im bitter as are many others, this post is not to discuss customs policy. I wanted to offer this rover to the community before resorting to ebay. What you see is what you get, galvanized frame and all. No motor or gearbox. We are in the middle of fitting and LS motor and gearbox to its sister car. I already have plates "NO D.O.T." Iron Clad paperwork signed off by the US attorney in Greenville, SC. $15k

------ Follow up post added March 9th, 2016 09:33 PM ------

I am very glad to here you won your battle and retain your land rovers and didn't end up at the scrap yard like the ones on you tube. Unfortunately i purchase a 1989 Land Rover Defender 110 Wagon due to its cosmetic beauty without doing a research. I purchase it with the intention of traveling Baja and stopping at fishing villages throughout the summer with my kids. I thought i could heaviey motifiey the chassis and body. I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Rolling Chassis that i was thinking of adding the Defender Body on the Toyota Chassis. Dont worry about the value which i would like to get burried in this Defender if possible so it would be for re-sale.
My Question: Can i install another Chassis and would i hold the Toyota Registration ? or Defender Registration?

I just wanted it dependable to travel Baja with kids and street legal.

Thanks for any help or do you know a company that i can hire to my it street legal?

Old March 10th, 2016, 12:55 PM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
I moved your post from the vehicle ad.
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat