Defender Import Issues Thread - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 25th, 2013, 03:56 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Defender Import Issues Thread

I don't want to clutter rivermike's For Sale thread, so I'm starting this one.

If you have a truck in the process of importation, post up:

What exactly are you importing?
Which port?
What's the status?

...I'm pretty sure that there are some "rebuild" and other grey market trucks whose importers will probably not be forthcoming here for obvious reasons, and that's okay. I'm more interested in stories of completely legit 25+ year trucks being held up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:11 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I'm really curious about the same. I passed on bringing in two more this last January because even my cohort in the Netherlands said it wasn't a good time to bring in anything that wasn't a 100% legit 25 year old 110.

Oscar
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:27 PM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
We just imported a 1983 factory LHD V8 90 that was used on the James Bond film "The Living Daylights". Brought it into Charleston SC, no worries. Have heard of some issues w/ galvy chassis and such. Definitely a proper 25 year old import. Pinewood Studios was the first titled owner, they are the exclusive studio for the James Bond films.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	157029_524911717548068_630960901_n.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	68990  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:34 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

Not trying to be a pill....but it has NEVER been a good time to bring in anything that is not 25 years + and fully legit.

There were so many folks doing this that finally CBP got tired of it and cracked down. If you do a few hours of research it is not hard to see how CBP and EPA/DOT all compare notes.

I have yet to hear of a complete legit truck being held for any reason outside of the normal ones; paperwork does not match, vin does not match, dirty etc....

Baltimore is the worst by far. I have personally had trouble in Charleston more than once. I know some trucks are held right now in Brunswick.

Something to keep in mind:

An original truck will look original. A restored original truck will look like a restored original truck BUT the CBP agent might not feel like looking that hard. If the truck looks too good it automatically gets higher scrutiny. There were too many "1986" 110s that were really "1996" 110s with a galvi chassis and a swapped VIN.

Bottom line, obey the rules, be honest, have your paperwork, hire an agent and you should be fine.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:43 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I hear you, David. What I'm trying to determine is if there are any 100% legit 25+ yr trucks being held just "because it's a Land Rover". A close friend was told by another importer on this board that all of their trucks are being held at the port and that they've involved lawyers in an attempt to free them. I don't know if there is a legit freeze on imports at some ports or if this is just a case of an importer with a track record of pushing the bounds of what's passable. Or, perhaps, this was just an over-exaggeration.

I just want to get to the bottom of claims like the one lone_star_d90 is making, saying that no trucks are being allowed through. Want to find out why they think this is true.
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:48 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlcruiser View Post

Bottom line, obey the rules, be honest, have your paperwork, hire an agent and you should be fine.
Never personally used an agent and happy to keep doing it myself, but since you give that advice do agents offer any kind of money back guarantee of entry? Do agents ever truly know what you are shipping? Does all the blame and cost fall on the titled owner in the end should you be denied or is it on the agent or 50-50? Who is responsible for burden of proof on its originality the agent or owner.
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:49 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I just want to get to the bottom of claims like the one lone_star_d90 is making, saying that no trucks are being allowed through. Want to find out why they think this is true.
lone_star_d90 had a budget of $60-70k and wanted a 300tdi with a Puma body and interior. I can only imagine what he tried to actually import.
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:52 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Chris, I'm not using a Land Rover-savvy broker, just someone recommended by the shipping company. In my case, the broker is just there to expedite paperwork on the US side and provide a bond. They have no way of knowing if the truck I put on that boat is legitimate or not. I simply provided the customs paperwork to them and they file it. If I bring in an illegal truck, it's my problem.

------ Follow up post added March 25th, 2013 02:57 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
lone_star_d90 had a budget of $60-70k and wanted a 300tdi with a Puma body and interior. I can only imagine what he tried to actually import.
Wow. Ok, it's making more sense now. That lines up with what the CBP officer at the port told me: 25 year old trucks are no problem; it's the new ones (or, presumably, the new-looking ones) that he's after.

I trust that you're going to set up a tracker for these issues up on the big board at the HSOC.
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There is a current nationwide initiative. @ DOT's request Customs is to examine every Land Rover entering and if in a container it will be pulled for an intensive /ie opened. Of primary concern are original chassis. Many trucks running around the UK have had the original replaced and while that is perfectly legal there it makes a vehicle ineligible for entry here under the 25yr rule. Since these trucks can not be brought up to current dot standards that is the only way an older defender can enter.

The rules have always said that a vehicle should be substantially as it left the factory in order to be eligible for exemption under the 25yr rule. US buyers have been willing, even eager, to knowingly pay UK shops to restore or even build to their provided specs trucks which did not meet this standard.

You don't have anything to worry about with an Ex Mod truck. That said, my advice would still be not to post on forums when you have a vehicle inbound.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 25th, 2013, 06:15 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I heard the most effective way to get illegal trucks through was to take them to Mexico first then across the border.

------ Follow up post added March 25th, 2013 05:16 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple9music View Post
We just imported a 1983 factory LHD V8 90 that was used on the James Bond film "The Living Daylights". Brought it into Charleston SC, no worries. Have heard of some issues w/ galvy chassis and such. Definitely a proper 25 year old import. Pinewood Studios was the first titled owner, they are the exclusive studio for the James Bond films.
That looks good. Want to trade? Does it have a lot of rivets on the front fender from camera mounting holes?

You little rebel, I like you.
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
I heard the most effective way to get illegal trucks through was to take them to Mexico first then across the border.
Hear it from some one who did it ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 25th, 2013, 06:33 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
I have to spend more time at the Southampton docks waiting for the "reject" ship to come back from the States. Perhaps now it's where the real deals are to be had. I could use a nice galvy chassis 300tdi for me and the family while out there.

It's true though nothing to hide=no problems. Though you may fall into their system of delays before the agencys are satisfied and the process is over
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
I have to spend more time at the Southampton docks waiting for the "reject" ship to come back from the States.
I don't think they send them back. Seize and destroy....

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:53 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I don't think they send them back. Seize and destroy....
What are you basing this on? It's rumors like this had throw people in to a panic and it isn't true or necessary. I could be wrong but I would like you to give one example.

I know of plenty of trucks that have been seized over the years and I have never seen a single one crushed. I have seen people forfeit them because they didn't have the money to fight and it wasn't worth sending back but I have never seen one destroyed. Even the most absurd rebuilds are eligible for sending back. Every case is different and I encourage people to educate themselves before they do anything but I will give one example.

The truck shown here belongs to a friend. It is a totally original truck with 17,000 miles. He imported it about two years ago. It was seized in Baltimore. It looked too nice and Customs honestly at the time didn't know what it was or what to look for to prove it was original. He got a lawyer and after eight months they allowed it to come in. Yes it took eight months!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-27.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	69003  
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:24 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Wow, about time the did something with all those rust buckets coming over here.
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Fever...Fever....Fever

Seems like everyone getting all wound up about this is why the prices continue to be high...awesome for those guys importing fora second, or first job!!! Keep it up.
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:07 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Hear it from some one who did it ?
That was supposed to be a joke about border security and illegal immigration.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:13 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post

That was supposed to be a joke about border security and illegal immigration.
Are those called wet-hoods?

My bad, I need to be politically correct... Wet-Bonnets.

Old March 25th, 2013, 08:15 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

I am not sure there is a rover savy broker out there. I do know the agent or broker acts for you and they have a power of attorney.

There is no rocket science to importing but, like most things, it really comes down to knowledge and experience. A good agent will have that and can help you if the going gets tough. Also, agents are cheap. I can't see any reason not to use one if for no other reason than not to have to deal with the paperwork.

None of this is any sort of earth shattering event. If you want a nice older defender you can get one. There are plenty of folks who do it or have done it here and will continue to do so.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old March 25th, 2013, 08:20 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The jig is up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
There is a current nationwide initiative... That said, my advice would still be not to post on forums when you have a vehicle inbound.
The jig is up, so don't set yourself in future import failure status!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, import