Old May 24th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Michael110
Michael Dickin
1986 110 Tithonus - Now Sadly Sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Did this attempted theft occur in MD??
Nope, this was in the UK before I moved over to the US. I get the impression Defender theft isn't as big of an issue here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2013, 12:04 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael110 View Post
Defender theft certainly has always been a big problem for owners in the UK, both to break for parts, ship abroad whole, or just for "shits and giggles" by lowlife scum. I experienced this first hand a few years ago when some of the aforementioned lowlifes tried stealing my '94 200tdi D90 from where it was parked outside my house, causing $3500 worth of damage in the process, and only failing when I was woken at 3am, coming down stairs just to hear them driving off in their getaway car. In the last couple of month half a dozen or so Police forces in the UK have issued specific warnings to Defender owners because of the recent increase in thefts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael110 View Post
Nope, this was in the UK before I moved over to the US. I get the impression Defender theft isn't as big of an issue here.
Ok that's what I was thinking/hoping, and would have been plenty surprised if that was in the states. Thanks for clarifying.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 24th, 2013, 02:32 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Still dont think OUR tax dollars should be spent doing the UK's police work. Sorry, but their theft problem is not our problem. Maybe Im just a little bit biased right now though....
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wondering what's happened with 85red110's Defender.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 24th, 2013, 04:54 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
Still dont think OUR tax dollars should be spent doing the UK's police work. Sorry, but their theft problem is not our problem. Maybe Im just a little bit biased right now though....

Would you want their tax dollars going to help turn your stolen property if it ended up on a ship to the UK?

You little rebel, I like you.
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:20 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Would you want their tax dollars going to help turn your stolen property if it ended up on a ship to the UK?

Nope. What I would want is for my tax dollars to be used effectively in the first place, for instance, by the CBP in ensuring that what is exported from my country (and imported, for that matter) is legitimate. Beyond that, my personal property is my own responsibility. If it gets stolen, its my own damn fault for not securing it properly.
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:26 AM
scout110801
Justus
None

Quote:

Nope. What I would want is for my tax dollars to be used effectively in the first place, for instance, by the CBP in ensuring that what is exported from my country (and imported, for that matter) is legitimate. Beyond that, my personal property is my own responsibility. If it gets stolen, its my own damn fault for not securing it properly.
I totally agree!!!
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:41 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Do you want your tax dollars to be used to prevent your country from being known as a safe haven for stolen goods?

You little rebel, I like you.
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:44 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Do you want your tax dollars to be used to prevent your country from being known as a safe haven for stolen goods?

I think that problem would sort itself out if the borders were less porous and the authorities were more effective at screening what comes in and goes out.
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:24 AM
cjbenway
Chris Benway
1984 LR 90 ( Hedrick Rover )

Registry
Quote:
Ditto!
....can you give us an update? Any sightings of your truck?
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
I think that problem would sort itself out if the borders were less porous and the authorities were more effective at screening what comes in and goes out.
Interesting, are you willing to pay considerably more in taxes and have significantly less freedom to achieve that endstate? Because that's what it would take to reduce the ability to 'infiltrate' the border and screen the tremendous amount of commerce coming and going from the country.
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:49 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Interesting, are you willing to pay considerably more in taxes and have significantly less freedom to achieve that endstate? Because that's what it would take to reduce the ability to 'infiltrate' the border and screen the tremendous amount of commerce coming and going from the country.

Wont equate to less freedom for me. Im a natural born, tax paying, veteran with no criminal record and nothing to hide. Securing our borders would only make my life better. I think everyone here would also agree that we pay enough taxes already, and the problem is waste and misuse of resources. Not intending to stir up any political debates, just two pennies from a guy with no truck.
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Wont equate to less freedom for me. Im a natural born, tax paying, veteran with no criminal record and nothing to hide. Securing our borders would only make my life better. I think everyone here would also agree that we pay enough taxes already, and the problem is waste and misuse of resources. Not intending to stir up any political debates, just two pennies from a guy with no truck.
As someone with pretty much the same background what I'd offer is that the securing of the border + actual confidence in the nature & intentions of the commerce coming and going is a far larger proposition than just re-allocating resources and making things more efficient through waste cutting measures. The scope and scale of containerized cargo alone makes that a difficult proposition. There's a lot of pundits saying it has to be fixed but like most problems they're not offering any actual substantive solutions, merely shouting about a problem.

Most of what I based my initial post on was the sheer physics of the problem when it comes to a nation based on free trade, the politics of it are something else entirely but really can't be divorced from the situation.

For what it is worth, it truly does blow that your truck was rolled up in the recent raid-all the more so as you sat in the sandbox.
r-
Ray
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:48 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:

You've made a circular argument here that has no end game. The US government is doing just as you've asked, ensuring the legitimacy of certain imported goods. I see no problem with using US taxpayer dollars to help out a friendly nation AND to ensure that certain goods aren't stolen property. Stolen from hard working people who I'm sure don't deserve the loss.

By the way, really? Such a hard line on someone's unfortunate theft? The reason Defenders are targeted in the UK is due to the premium commanded for them in the US market and the heretofore lax CBP monitoring. Vehicle security is really just an illusion unless you keep it in a bunker and never drive it. Thus, remove the profitability (easy importation into the US market) and you've reduced the motivation for theft. It's just the right thing to do.
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:54 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
You've made a circular argument here that has no end game. The US government is doing just as you've asked, ensuring the legitimacy of certain imported goods. I see no problem with using US taxpayer dollars to help out a friendly nation AND to ensure that certain goods aren't stolen property. Stolen from hard working people who I'm sure don't deserve the loss.

By the way, really? Such a hard line on someone's unfortunate theft? The reason Defenders are targeted in the UK is due to the premium commanded for them in the US market and the heretofore lax CBP monitoring. Vehicle security is really just an illusion unless you keep it in a bunker and never drive it. Thus, remove the profitability (easy importation into the US market) and you've reduced the motivation for theft. It's just the right thing to do.
And we Brits are a very friendly bunch!

'Heretofore' that's an awesome word to use before the first coffee of the day!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 24th, 2013, 10:28 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
And we Brits are a very friendly bunch!

'Heretofore' that's an awesome word to use before the first coffee of the day!
Dont' get carried away now. Certainly not a character endorsement for white SW owning and boost loving Brits.

Thank you for noticing the word. Learned it from my 8th grader the other day and have been dying to use it in a sentence.
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:32 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Dont' get carried away now. Certainly not a character endorsement for white SW owning and boost loving Brits.

Thank you for noticing the word. Learned it from my 8th grader the other day and have been dying to use it in a sentence.
8th Grader ... Doogie Howser Lawyer?
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:04 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Defender theft in the UK was a problem before the demand in the US market rose.

I think you missed an important point that makes his argument very strong. It is not a circular argument. He said that the UK government should catch the stolen property before it leaves their port. Our port should not have to track down stolen property that has already been processed and released at the UK end. It should be identified at their port.

Their officers should be more informed about the true nature of the items in question. Not looking for new door hinges with K9 backup.

Quote:

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 24th, 2013, 01:52 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Again, nothing wrong with a coordinated effort in this day and age of global trade. With the volume of goods moving in and out of ports, a better focus on both ends will help to reduce the problem.
Old May 24th, 2013, 02:31 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Again, nothing wrong with a coordinated effort in this day and age of global trade. With the volume of goods moving in and out of ports, a better focus on both ends will help to reduce the problem.
Agreed. Receiving stolen goods is also a crime.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, import