Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 20th, 2013, 03:25 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I don't imagine that the border control standards will materially vary by location. I think given recent events you should ensure that your vehicle complies with all the legal requirements wherever you want to bring it in. If you want to RO-RO to Canada and then tour Canada in Defender before bringing it in that would be a cool trip!

If you have a fully legit Defender and aren't planning a Canada or Mexico excursion why not bring it through any of the regular RO-RO ports?

You may be lucky and some official may fail to apply the standards as defined and let a truck through that doesn't have matching VIN or wrong engine ... but it's an expensive gamble these days.

I agree that the stringent enforcement of the rules isn't likely to be about safety in the same way that the Gulf wars weren't about WMD.

The Customs guys are doing their job as professionals, it's not their role to interpret rules but enforce the ones on the statute. What you describe as a bad morning is them doing their job to a high standard!

I'm rapidly coming to the opinion that shipping vehicles around the world to try and get a 'deal' is now just a gamble without knowing the odds ..
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2013, 03:45 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 110fender View Post

I am not talking about this truck. I have resigned myself to the fact that despite being an 87 frame and vin, the motor being a 300 will be heade back to the UK. I am aski about for future vehicles. If someone takes a legit 25 year old defender and brings it in thru Canada or Mexico and you drive it across ,why would that be an issue? Is that not akin to simply driving over the border like normal? Of course if it is a true 25 year old truck, you can bring it thru the US. But it seems like if the customs official has a bad morning he can ding you for whatever he wants, right vin, motor, chassis or not. Trying to avoid the bs with this process. Maybe we should import 30 year old rust buckets that are completely unsafe. Doesn't make sense.
Lets assume you make it to and across the boarder. Once it is here you have a problem because you don't have documents to prove it got here legally. This will be problematic when you try to register it and title and insure it.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 20th, 2013, 04:16 PM
110fender
devin
1987 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Lets assume you make it to and across the boarder. Once it is here you have a problem because you don't have documents to prove it got here legally. This will be problematic when you try to register it and title and insure it.

Clay
Let me be clear. I am not suggesting that anyone is trying to 'sneak' an illegal vehicle into the US. I am saying if a vehicle that meets all the US standards can be brought into the US thru Canada or Mexico. What is concerning is that even if the vehcile is 100 percent legit, a customs agent may ding it for something stupid (ie new screws on the door hinge or a new paint job). It's that crap I would think people would want to avoid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2013, 04:21 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Ok but my point is he following: the vehicle is imported into say Canada and meets their requirements. It is then driven into the US theu the customs border road toll booth type deal. You are saying that they'll rip me out of the car and check the vin, motor etc etc etc?? That's the question and it woul seem to me that if the truck is imported properly in that country, you can drive it across without issue.
When you enter the country you are legally obliged to declare items you are importing.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 20th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The Door Screw thing silly. But I suspect its being used merely as a red flag to alert the officer to look a little deeper.

Wonder how Customs would react to a 25 year old defender with no engine....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 20th, 2013, 05:30 PM
moose
Brett
Ex-Mod Tdi 110 Hard Top

Registry
Quote:
Ok but my point is he following: the vehicle is imported into say Canada and meets their requirements. It is then driven into the US theu the customs border road toll booth type deal. You are saying that they'll rip me out of the car and check the vin, motor etc etc etc?? That's the question and it woul seem to me that if the truck is imported properly in that country, you can drive it across without issue.
Our requirements are a bit different up here. Vehicles only have to be 15 years old so luckily we don't have any problems now with vehicles with 200 or 300 Tdi's. So even though a 1997 Defender can legally be imported here, it would still have to wait another 10 years to go into the US. If you want to come through here, the truck will need to be 25 and legally importable as you will still likely get scrutinized when you present paper work.

Brett
Old April 20th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Importing through Canada from the UK involves shipping to New Brunswick-slightly more expensive than shipping to a US port. You then have to pay Canadian import duty- considerably higher than US rate. Then you need to transport or drive truck from Nova Scotia (getting there another pretty good expense) then when you get to US Border you go through same process you would @ a port and pay the US import duty on top of the Canadian duty you already paid. Not sure why you would put your self through the additional expense and difficulty.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 20th, 2013, 10:34 PM
zeusdavis
Jeff Davis
95 D90 ST 2006/3000

Registry
I think the point is that if you do not plan on registering your vehicle then simply driving across the US / Canada border isn't a bad idea. For example....I went to register my 2008 RR SC and they wanted over $6k in sales tax. I said fuck that and decided to just swap out my D90 tag between the 2. If I get pulled over its a $75 fine and have 3 times before they tow me. How many times have you been pulled over in the last 10 years?
Old April 20th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Michael110
Michael Dickin
1986 110 Tithonus - Now Sadly Sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeusdavis View Post
I think the point is that if you do not plan on registering your vehicle then simply driving across the US / Canada border isn't a bad idea. For example....I went to register my 2008 RR SC and they wanted over $6k in sales tax. I said fuck that and decided to just swap out my D90 tag between the 2. If I get pulled over its a $75 fine and have 3 times before they tow me. How many times have you been pulled over in the last 10 years?
I don't know what's more astonishing, that you actually do it or that you freely admit to doing it on a public web forum........
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:54 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Wow.
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:22 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael110 View Post
I don't know what's more astonishing, that you actually do it or that you freely admit to doing it on a public web forum........
wow x2
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:44 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

That could be one of the dumbest things posted in a while...
Old April 21st, 2013, 05:38 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I don't understand what the big deal is, here that would be a "fictitious tags" citation- nothing more than a fix-it ticket. Are you guys that concerned that his home state lost that $6K in revenue? Or just jelly that he has a 90 and a RRS?
Old April 21st, 2013, 06:56 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

It is tax evasion.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:10 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Funny, here they would give you 30 days, then if you got pulled they would cite it as failure to title/register a vehicle and displaying fictitious tags. Not sales tax evasion.

Anyhow, what's the average 08 RR SC worth, about $35K? So they want to tax the guy 17%. Here "highway use tax" is 3%
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:55 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Denver county tax is a grand total of 7.62% when you go to get a title/registration. That doesn't include the ownership tax either which makes it all in all ridiculous. Compound that onto any import fees, taxes, ect and it's a lot if you do plan to import.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:23 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

From yesterday....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22561651
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

http://blog.caranddriver.com/exclusi...ver-defenders/
Old May 17th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Interesting that Car & Driver Magazine chose to name and shame Aaron. Have any charges been filed?
Old May 18th, 2013, 09:43 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Thanks for sharing that article. I found it very informative.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, import