Defender Import Issues Thread - Page 10 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 24th, 2013, 02:48 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

A better focus on the UK end is what is needed. They have the ability to prosecute any theft in a much more diligent manner. From this end all it does is create a revenue flow to over enthusiastic gum shoes.
No one here wants to buy or receive stolen goods from the UK. Many just want the prices to seem that way.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
A better focus on the UK end is what is needed. They have the ability to prosecute any theft in a much more diligent manner. From this end all it does is create a revenue flow to over enthusiastic gum shoes.
No one here wants to buy or receive stolen goods from the UK. Many just want the prices to seem that way.
The UK specially train police to look for key evidence of stolen vehicles or evidence of tampering to change identity. I've been stopped a number of times and the policeman new exactly where to look for the VIN numbers on various vehicles.

While I'm sure there are some stolen vehicles being exported, many are perfectly legit vehicles that are not stolen, confirm to all UK laws and are being legally exported ... the problem is that these vehicles don't confirm to US laws and regulations.

Its no different from some country exporting paint with lead in it ... it's perfectly legal to do ... whats not legal is to import it into the US.

Only the US can police it's laws and borders.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 24th, 2013, 03:59 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I understand what you are saying about the vehicles that do not conform and are being imported into the USA. That is what a lot of the focus has been in these most current topics. But I think time will tell us that stolen vehicles that went through a UK port where "The UK specially train police " lost the ball. And now the mess is being sorted on our end of the pond. With officers that are not really trained well enough. And while many focus on the details and speculate the age and identity of vehicles being imported, stolen property is what created the current climate.

This is my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
The UK specially train police to look for key evidence of stolen vehicles or evidence of tampering to change identity. I've been stopped a number of times and the policeman new exactly where to look for the VIN numbers on various vehicles.

While I'm sure there are some stolen vehicles being exported, many are perfectly legit vehicles that are not stolen, confirm to all UK laws and are being legally exported ... the problem is that these vehicles don't confirm to US laws and regulations.

Its no different from some country exporting paint with lead in it ... it's perfectly legal to do ... whats not legal is to import it into the US.

Only the US can police it's laws and borders.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
And we Brits are a very friendly bunch!

Boy did you guys prove the point with the Slaying of the soldier in the streets of Woolwich
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
And we Brits are a very friendly bunch!

'Heretofore' that's an awesome word to use before the first coffee of the day!

'heretofore' also made famous when Ben Affleck's character in Good Will Hunting is way out over his skiis in an interview with three NSA MENSA-members.
We now use it when somebody is trying to sound smarter than they really are.
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:38 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
I understand what you are saying about the vehicles that do not conform and are being imported into the USA. That is what a lot of the focus has been in these most current topics. But I think time will tell us that stolen vehicles that went through a UK port where "The UK specially train police " lost the ball. And now the mess is being sorted on our end of the pond. With officers that are not really trained well enough. And while many focus on the details and speculate the age and identity of vehicles being imported, stolen property is what created the current climate.

This is my opinion.
I don't disagree with you ... do you hold your own enforcement to the same standards of preventing stolen vehicles leaving the US and causing an issue in other countries?

These processes aren't infallible and that is what criminals have exploited.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Fun fact, JLRNA just had six vehicles, including a 2014 Range Rover Sport, stolen from the headquarters in Mahwah. I would bet that they were on a shipping container within an hour or two of being stolen.
Old May 26th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Tophat
Oliver
All sorts of Defenders

Fact is that all outgoing cars should be checked in the port before leaving. This way when there might be a problem with a car that problem would be at the outgoing port.

If you ask me nobody ever looks at the outgoing cars in the port before being shipped out, where ever in the world. I have never seen anybody looking at a car when I bring them to Amsterdam ports( and zeebrugge last week)

I myself check every car before buying, so I know ourcars are original factory stock, and not stolen.

Problem now is that the complete Defender trade has come to a stop if you ask me, we often offer complete original cars, but find very little to no buyers for thecars. Is everybody in the US so afraid to be messed with now?
Old May 26th, 2013, 07:17 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophat View Post
Problem now is that the complete Defender trade has come to a stop if you ask me, we often offer complete original cars, but find very little to no buyers for thecars. Is everybody in the US so afraid to be messed with now?
I think the problem is that everybody realized that they are not actually fancy expensive trucks. Cheap people who would not pony up for a NAS have probably realized that a disco or range rover classic is infinitely better value.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old May 26th, 2013, 08:04 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
'heretofore' also made famous when Ben Affleck's character in Good Will Hunting is way out over his skiis in an interview with three NSA MENSA-members.
We now use it when somebody is trying to sound smarter than they really are.
Ya suspect!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, import