Defender Import Issues Thread - Page 10 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #181  
Old May 24th, 2013, 02:48 PM
pendy's Avatar
pendy
Status: Offline
jim pendleton
89'd90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: andover, ks usa
Posts: 2,341
A better focus on the UK end is what is needed. They have the ability to prosecute any theft in a much more diligent manner. From this end all it does is create a revenue flow to over enthusiastic gum shoes.
No one here wants to buy or receive stolen goods from the UK. Many just want the prices to seem that way.
__________________
legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #182  
Old May 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
A better focus on the UK end is what is needed. They have the ability to prosecute any theft in a much more diligent manner. From this end all it does is create a revenue flow to over enthusiastic gum shoes.
No one here wants to buy or receive stolen goods from the UK. Many just want the prices to seem that way.
The UK specially train police to look for key evidence of stolen vehicles or evidence of tampering to change identity. I've been stopped a number of times and the policeman new exactly where to look for the VIN numbers on various vehicles.

While I'm sure there are some stolen vehicles being exported, many are perfectly legit vehicles that are not stolen, confirm to all UK laws and are being legally exported ... the problem is that these vehicles don't confirm to US laws and regulations.

Its no different from some country exporting paint with lead in it ... it's perfectly legal to do ... whats not legal is to import it into the US.

Only the US can police it's laws and borders.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old May 24th, 2013, 03:59 PM
pendy's Avatar
pendy
Status: Offline
jim pendleton
89'd90
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: andover, ks usa
Posts: 2,341
I understand what you are saying about the vehicles that do not conform and are being imported into the USA. That is what a lot of the focus has been in these most current topics. But I think time will tell us that stolen vehicles that went through a UK port where "The UK specially train police " lost the ball. And now the mess is being sorted on our end of the pond. With officers that are not really trained well enough. And while many focus on the details and speculate the age and identity of vehicles being imported, stolen property is what created the current climate.

This is my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
The UK specially train police to look for key evidence of stolen vehicles or evidence of tampering to change identity. I've been stopped a number of times and the policeman new exactly where to look for the VIN numbers on various vehicles.

While I'm sure there are some stolen vehicles being exported, many are perfectly legit vehicles that are not stolen, confirm to all UK laws and are being legally exported ... the problem is that these vehicles don't confirm to US laws and regulations.

Its no different from some country exporting paint with lead in it ... it's perfectly legal to do ... whats not legal is to import it into the US.

Only the US can police it's laws and borders.
__________________
legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #184  
Old May 24th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Rugbier's Avatar
Rugbier
Status: Offline
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Republic of Marylandistan
Posts: 5,884
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
And we Brits are a very friendly bunch!

Boy did you guys prove the point with the Slaying of the soldier in the streets of Woolwich
__________________
NO SIGNATURE
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Jackie Treehorn's Avatar
Jackie Treehorn
Status: Offline
A
1985 (legitimately)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,984
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
And we Brits are a very friendly bunch!

'Heretofore' that's an awesome word to use before the first coffee of the day!

'heretofore' also made famous when Ben Affleck's character in Good Will Hunting is way out over his skiis in an interview with three NSA MENSA-members.
We now use it when somebody is trying to sound smarter than they really are.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:38 PM
leastonce's Avatar
leastonce
Status: Offline
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,078
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
I understand what you are saying about the vehicles that do not conform and are being imported into the USA. That is what a lot of the focus has been in these most current topics. But I think time will tell us that stolen vehicles that went through a UK port where "The UK specially train police " lost the ball. And now the mess is being sorted on our end of the pond. With officers that are not really trained well enough. And while many focus on the details and speculate the age and identity of vehicles being imported, stolen property is what created the current climate.

This is my opinion.
I don't disagree with you ... do you hold your own enforcement to the same standards of preventing stolen vehicles leaving the US and causing an issue in other countries?

These processes aren't infallible and that is what criminals have exploited.
__________________
Quote:
Soapy water / KY jelly, etc. is is basically a must. Yes, good idea to remove trim panels - only takes 5 more minutes to do so.
Car Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Jymmiejamz's Avatar
Jymmiejamz
Status: Offline
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,468
Registry
Fun fact, JLRNA just had six vehicles, including a 2014 Range Rover Sport, stolen from the headquarters in Mahwah. I would bet that they were on a shipping container within an hour or two of being stolen.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old May 26th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Tophat
Status: Offline
Oliver
All sorts of Defenders
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Loosdrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 87
Fact is that all outgoing cars should be checked in the port before leaving. This way when there might be a problem with a car that problem would be at the outgoing port.

If you ask me nobody ever looks at the outgoing cars in the port before being shipped out, where ever in the world. I have never seen anybody looking at a car when I bring them to Amsterdam ports( and zeebrugge last week)

I myself check every car before buying, so I know ourcars are original factory stock, and not stolen.


Problem now is that the complete Defender trade has come to a stop if you ask me, we often offer complete original cars, but find very little to no buyers for thecars. Is everybody in the US so afraid to be messed with now?
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old May 26th, 2013, 07:17 AM
mgreenspan's Avatar
mgreenspan
Status: Offline
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nevada City
Posts: 1,719
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophat View Post
Problem now is that the complete Defender trade has come to a stop if you ask me, we often offer complete original cars, but find very little to no buyers for thecars. Is everybody in the US so afraid to be messed with now?
I think the problem is that everybody realized that they are not actually fancy expensive trucks. Cheap people who would not pony up for a NAS have probably realized that a disco or range rover classic is infinitely better value.
__________________
Do not read the next sentence.

You little rebel, I like you.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old May 26th, 2013, 08:04 AM
tomaco1's Avatar
tomaco1
Status: Offline
T.mac
83 110
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,693
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
'heretofore' also made famous when Ben Affleck's character in Good Will Hunting is way out over his skiis in an interview with three NSA MENSA-members.
We now use it when somebody is trying to sound smarter than they really are.
Ya suspect!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, import

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Red Defender 90 for sale BrianConway321 For Sale - Vehicles 5 February 22nd, 2005 09:27 PM
Thread hijacking! TwisteD90 Misc. Chit-Chat 19 March 6th, 2004 03:23 PM
Pre-Production Defender for sale, legal to import to US! Chris Cox Misc. Chit-Chat 4 November 25th, 2003 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Copyright