Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 21st, 2008, 05:11 PM
Ace
Ace
None

Defender Fails Moose Test

Did anyone see this article?

http://lifestyle.monstersandcritics.com/autos/news/article_1337385.php/Land_Rover_Defender_fails_Moose_test

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2008, 05:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No surprise there. As someone who has fun just getting a 110 ( with the rear sway bar still installed) on 33's around an off ramp- the moose or elk wouldn't rate a swerve, just a head on with the brush bar. I rolled a series 2a 88 30 years ago @ 55 mph- lesson learned.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 21st, 2008, 07:15 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I remember one time I was talking to my buddy while driving in the D90 on the freeway and I mentioned the fact that the sway bars were off, but it had no affect (or effect?). 2 seconds after saying this, the car in front of me slammed on the brakes, and I had to slam on the brakes and swerve around them at 60 some odd MPH, and while swerving around them to the right, i could feel the body lean like crazy, then the two drivers side tires left the ground. Tires must have lifted a good amount, as I could feel the car land again once I was straightening out.

That's my long winded way of saying no surprises.
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:07 AM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

No surprise. If something runs out in front of any of my Rovers (short of a person) there is no point trying to miss it...better to just try to slow down as much as possible and hit it dead on.

The only time I avoided hitting something was a deer in the '95 Classic. I was able to avoid it and not roll the truck over (it was when it was stock..with sway bars and air suspension)...but it was very scary.

I distinctly remember screaming like a girl
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
This is why I laugh when those guys that take off their sway bars think they don't serve a purpose. My Defender would fail even the squirrel test, so I just plan on hittin' stuff head on.

Semper Fi!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
This is why I laugh when those guys that take off their sway bars think they don't serve a purpose. My Defender would fail even the squirrel test, so I just plan on hittin' stuff head on.

Daily drivers are better off keeping their sway bars. Not getting killed on the interstate (especially with our bad roads) beats a bit more axle articulation that many don't even come close to needing. I don't know what the practical experience has been on the new Rubicon's, but that electronic disconnect sounds great at least.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:20 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I still think that the sway bars dont do much more than make the vehicle "feel" more controllable. You'd be surprised what the defender will do on the road without turning over - sure, I havent put it on a skid pad, but our truck has survived some incredible examples of my wife's less-than-stellar driving...

That being said, I put the front bar back on so that people riding with her didn't think they were going to die.

Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Front I would agree.

The rear has been off my truck for a long time and I have never noticed it. Even in the very few Oh Sh!t incidents evading an idiot.

EwS
Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann
Front I would agree.

The rear has been off my truck for a long time and I have never noticed it. Even in the very few Oh Sh!t incidents evading an idiot.

EwS
Agree. I have both on the '95 but I ran quick disconnects on the front and threw out the rear on the '97. Never really noticed any difference with the rear gone. My Classic that has an SG Stage III suspension doesn't have any...and it's unnerving to say the least at speed with the slightest twitch.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Moose Test

Bring it on Bullwinkle!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:38 AM
Ace
Ace
None

Marty Moose on Parade

You gotta see this...Volvo X90 going through an actual "Moose Test" (sounds like a frat hazing ritual) with a lifesize replica of a moose:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Jackson-sees-Lakers-with-40-20-vision?urn=nba,68050

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat