Old August 17th, 2013, 11:57 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
The way they destroyed that seemed to be a bit of a spectacle, which I realize is the point, but still is a waste of money in my opinion. I'm sure they paid top dollar for someone to film that as well.
Yes it seems like a success PR move on their part given the attention it's getting. It would be nice if they could be factual, or instill some sense of competence in me when I read/see these stories. But I bet the majority fall for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
My experience is a lot of folks in Haiti in particular do a lot to feel better about themselves, but little to help the country itself...I saw a lot of folks driving around in nice 4x4's of many flavors all 'doing their part' and yet it still remains a total shithole. Maybe if they spent less on their overhead, coordinated their efforts, and built sustainable programs life there would actually get better. As it is now it's just a feel good about helping out the disadvantaged summer trip.

But I'm jaded.
No you are not. I feel the same way. Around here it's popular to send your kid down to South America on a mission trip to help the poor children in some village. They really don't help them any economically and IMO if you just took the $3-5k spent on each kid to go down there and just use that money to help them in some real way, you'd really be helping. But like you say it's really to make them feel good.
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Giving goods of unknown providence to a charity sounds good in theory. But the reality is more like 'government wastes money providing stolen goods to charity. Substandard truck steering fails and 8 children die in horrific car crash'.

You'd be crying foul that American jobs were destroyed because the government didn't supply American made vehicles.
Point taken, however, having worked for both the federal (USMC) and the state level (FL Park Service) the amount of gov't waste boggles the mind. At the state park I worked there were barns full of 4x4's, ATV's, air boats, swamp buggies so on and so fort sittilng little used yet in disrepair. Government is inherently wasteful and tyrannical - that is why our forefathers sought to give us the tools to limit it.

Ray, having spent a carrer in the citrus business, I have known and worked with manny Hatians, the hatian farmers decried all the aid pouring in for the simple fact that there is little to no market for locally grown goods. Why pay a local farmer when you can get it for free? But there have several times while fueling up the 110 I have been approached by a hatian with a smile on his face (one with tears in his eyes) recalling the missionarys being able to get around the back country in their Rovers. Kinda cool but then I'm a Henry Hazlitt, Hayek, von Mises free market kind of guy. So you know my what my solution would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2013, 09:41 PM
jcoxdmd
Jeremy Cox
None

Imported Defender 110 Destroyed August 2013

I know its illegal... Still hard to watch it happen.

http://nstautomotive.com/illegally-i...rotection.html

(Sorry... wasnt sure where to post this... I am sure someone will direct me)
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:52 PM
lone_star_d90
Trevor
1997 Defender 90 #1689

I wonder how many illegal weapons and drugs made it through while they are worrying about airbags and emissions.

I would rather see CBP focus their efforts on real tragedies like human trafficking instead of wasting my tax money on this.
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

Made me sick watching- especially thinking that my truck just came in through Baltimore (though legally.)

And I love the irony that CBP is keeping "unsafe" vehicles off our streets while we can egally import a gross-polluting 1950's death trap with no seatbelts.

And while I understand he is just doing his job, his smugness and smirk is just irritating.
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:34 PM
jcoxdmd
Jeremy Cox
None

Yeah, they are definitely trying to send a message with the video and the way they destroyed that 110. You can destroy a truck, but that is meticulously making a statement piece by piece.
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:50 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Lots of threads on this here this week. Maybe we can get them merged.
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Agreed

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:37 PM
sparhawk
greg sparhawk
92 110

Ouch....man, that made my stomach turn. Anyone know the story behind it? Looks an awful lot like one i was interested in a little while back.
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Lots of threads on this here this week. Maybe we can get them merged.
Maybe you just need to add the beating the dead horse emoticon like on other forums.
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:08 PM
jcoxdmd
Jeremy Cox
None

I am sorry... I looked all over and did not see this story posted previously. This is my first post on Defender Source... I knew I was taking a risk of being surrounded by the wolves on here if I did. Can anyone tell me how to delete this thread and I will?... I don’t want to inconvenience anyone.... I will definitely rethink posting again. I sincerely apologize.
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:14 PM
lone_star_d90
Trevor
1997 Defender 90 #1689

No need to apologize. This is a frequent topic, but to say there have been multiple threads this week is an exaggeration. The unnecessary sensitivity of some is rude especially for new posters. It reminds me of immature cliques in high school with inside jokes and inner circles.

------ Follow up post added August 19th, 2013 07:16 PM ------

To be fair, when I first joined, the "old guard" was very accommodating to newcomers. Things change.
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:24 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

I don't think anyone is trying to be mean. There is no 'tone' on the old puter.
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_star_d90 View Post
No need to apologize. This is a frequent topic, but to say there have been multiple threads this week is an exaggeration. The unnecessary sensitivity of some is rude especially for new posters. It reminds me of immature cliques in high school with inside jokes and inner circles.

------ Follow up post added August 19th, 2013 07:16 PM ------

To be fair, when I first joined, the "old guard" was very accommodating to newcomers. Things change.
Are you still upset that we asked you not to put a thread about your brake lights in the For Sale Vehicles section? jeez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoxdmd View Post
I am sorry... I looked all over and did not see this story posted previously. This is my first post on Defender Source... I knew I was taking a risk of being surrounded by the wolves on here if I did. Can anyone tell me how to delete this thread and I will?... I donít want to inconvenience anyone.... I will definitely rethink posting again. I sincerely apologize.
Jeremy, no need to delete the thread. It's best to just merge them, and get this out of the For Sale Vehicles section, that's all.
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
I am sorry... I looked all over and did not see this story posted previously. This is my first post on Defender Source... I knew I was taking a risk of being surrounded by the wolves on here if I did. Can anyone tell me how to delete this thread and I will?... I don’t want to inconvenience anyone.... I will definitely rethink posting again. I sincerely apologize.
Don't let the post count of this fuckers intimidate you, 80% of their post count it is not based on knowledge or real contributing to the brand but more like

GLWS
I WISH I WAS CLOSER
SHOW PICTURES
YOU NEED BOOST WHEELS ON YOU 90

And the likes, so liberate yourself and tell them to go pound salt, or more related to the marquee origins PISS OFF :-)
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have been around forever and I still remember being a newbie and I try to help and seek help from others.
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:50 PM
jcoxdmd
Jeremy Cox
None

Jeremy, no need to delete the thread. It's best to just merge them, and get this out of the For Sale Vehicles section, that's all.[/QUOTE]

How do you merge them? I will clean this up as soon as I figure that out. Thank you for your help.
Old August 19th, 2013, 10:52 PM
lone_star_d90
Trevor
1997 Defender 90 #1689

I do not know josh, but the consistent sarcastic tone is tiring. I will return to keeping my comments offline. Constructive comments to help aid those that don't spend every waking moment on this board have fallen on deaf ears.

Good night.
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Jeremy, no need to delete the thread. It's best to just merge them, and get this out of the For Sale Vehicles section, that's all.
How do you merge them? I will clean this up as soon as I figure that out. Thank you for your help.[/QUOTE]

The mods can merge them.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, 90, ac, d-90, defender, defender 110, import