Defender crushed by customs ! - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 16th, 2013, 09:21 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Ah bugger! sorry. I did do a quick search but couldn't find it anywhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2013, 09:23 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
200tdi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-937040386.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	77764   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1433262679.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	77765  

Old August 16th, 2013, 09:30 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Identify. Engine looks too far back to be a 300 and doesn't look like a TD5. Any guesses? 200tdi maybe?
Based on the location of the wing intake grill, I'd say 200tdi.

But who knows what's under the hood? It could be an unused 200tdi wing on a restored B-reg body/frame with a TD5 swap.

I guess anything is possible with these trucks, although it's sad to see it crushed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2013, 11:01 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

What's different about the wing intake grill?
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Sure.

And I'll tell him I saw it on Defender Source.com

Maybe he'll pop in and say "hey" and snoop around a bit...
Rest assured they have been following this forum for quite some time and have commented on it to me. See my signature line

Watching the video a couple things that struck me were, the engine is a 24 model year old engine, the wind screen has hinges, but the roof is smooth, doors are push button, roof side windows are rounded, frame cross member is square, frame is immaculate. Looks like a built to order restoration or a 90-93 with some earlier bits bolted on. Definitely not the 84 the plates indicate. According to the links it entered the end of April long after stuff hit the fan @ all the ports so some one was either fool hardy or believed this was an all original 84.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:11 AM
whitelandy33
Pecos
hyundai

Feds seize dozens of animal skeletons from China

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK46er View Post
Here is the link to the how the story ran here in Baltimore

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/maryland/...?absolute=true

"Meanwhile, another interesting interception at the port recently was 32 skeletons of real chickens from China. The U.S. Department of Agriculture said China has rampant avian flu, and officials said those skeletons could pose a risk to the U.S. poultry industry."

I would like to see pictures of the animal skeletons......
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:46 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
What's different about the wing intake grill?
200tdi is left side, 300tdi and later is right side

------ Follow up post added August 16th, 2013 11:51 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Looks like a built to order restoration or a 90-93 with some earlier bits bolted on. Definitely not the 84 the plates indicate. According to the links it entered the end of April long after stuff hit the fan @ all the ports so some one was either fool hardy or believed this was an all original 84.
Thanks for those screen shots, Doug. Later P/S reservoir. Not sure about that coolant overflow tank, but it's...different. Hood stick is definitely different. Fan shroud looks different as well?
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:35 PM
atlcruiser
david
many

Sad to see but I am glad they showed it and I am glad they did it. There is nothing unfair about it being crushed. The vehicle was faked, the vin was swapped, the paperwork was knowingly faked. There is no grey area here. Many federal laws and regulations were blatantly ignored.

If the buyer in the US is out the money I am sorry it happened to them but they got what they paid for and they got caught. The buyer is on the hook; not the seller.

I had a 110 sent back last month; my fault. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with CBP in Brunswick and I learned that seizure and destruction is the last thing CBP wants to do. They will go to pretty extreme lengths to avoid that. The issues recently is that these sorts of trucks are "port shopping" hoping to get through. Turned away at one port only to show back up for another try at another port. There is now a database on vehicles that make more than one attempt at entry. I know this as I am sending my 110 back over right now.

In order to get seized and destroyed there is quite a bit of hassle involved for the CBP. There needs to be shown intent to defraud or smuggle. The shipper and owner have many options and legal venues to avoid this happening. Since it happened and was publicized one can only assume the legal venues were exhausted and that the CBP and the court found sufficient reason to smash it.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Old August 16th, 2013, 03:12 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
More Black Market Rovers

I might start keeping a copy of my title in the glove box.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/maryland/...n=wbal-tv%2B11
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:26 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Damn it! Whos bright idea was it to stick a defender in with all my animal skeletons!?
Old August 16th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Lemonhead
TB
1997 D90 SW

Duplicate post - Apologies.
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:03 PM
cjbenway
Chris Benway
1984 LR 90 ( Hedrick Rover )

Registry
https://www.facebook.com/LRWMag

Here's the whole thing.
It will make you cry.
Old August 16th, 2013, 07:29 PM
gsv
Greg Vogel
95 D90

WBAL is our local NBC affiliate. The crap with them crushing theses trucks has been all of the news the past few days including the local Baltimore Sun paper.
In the article it says the seizure was from April. Like someone posted elsewhere, it seems they are just trying to salt the wound a bit.
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:12 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Rest assured they have been following this forum for quite some time and have commented on it to me. See my signature line.
What else do they say.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old August 17th, 2013, 07:27 AM
terreneuve
John
1997 D90

I did a check on the number plate and it is from a 1985 Land Rover which clearly this vehicle is not. They got him because of a VIN swop which I assume is why they would not allow it to be re-exported.

I just don't understand the logic in this, they keep mentioning the truck will sell for over 100k, I think its more about customs trying to nail people trying to avoid higher taxes and duties at port of entry than anything else. It would be interesting to know what value the importer declared.

There are a lot more unsafe cars on American roads than this truck!
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:35 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by terreneuve View Post
I did a check on the number plate and it is from a 1985 Land Rover which clearly this vehicle is not. They got him because of a VIN swop which I assume is why they would not allow it to be re-exported.

I just don't understand the logic in this, they keep mentioning the truck will sell for over 100k, I think its more about customs trying to nail people trying to avoid higher taxes and duties at port of entry than anything else. It would be interesting to know what value the importer declared.

There are a lot more unsafe cars on American roads than this truck!
I think there are whole range of reasons they are enforcing the laws, it is their mandate after all. If preventing loss of tax revenues is one then I'm cool with that.

It's not the role of the border control people to address unsafe vehicles on the roads in America.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I still would have rather seen a bunch of smiling nuns from a Catholic charity receive it so they can deliver comfort, aid and mosquito nets to the needy in Hati, Africa or where ever. But no, the Royal bureaucratic ruling class chose to crush the truck in a wasteful display of dominance for the benefit of the serfs over which they lord.
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:03 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I still would have rather seen a bunch of smiling nuns from a Catholic charity receive it so they can deliver comfort, aid and mosquito nets to the needy in Hati, Africa or where ever. But no, the Royal bureaucratic ruling class chose to crush the truck in a wasteful display of dominance for the benefit of the serfs over which they lord.
Giving goods of unknown providence to a charity sounds good in theory. But the reality is more like 'government wastes money providing stolen goods to charity. Substandard truck steering fails and 8 children die in horrific car crash'.

You'd be crying foul that American jobs were destroyed because the government didn't supply American made vehicles.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Total aside from the dramatic crushing of the vehicle (which prompted significant chatter all over the web...which even an intern at CBP could use to keep tabs on folks skirting along the edges of what is legal (regardless of how you feel about it):

My experience is a lot of folks in Haiti in particular do a lot to feel better about themselves, but little to help the country itself...I saw a lot of folks driving around in nice 4x4's of many flavors all 'doing their part' and yet it still remains a total shithole. Maybe if they spent less on their overhead, coordinated their efforts, and built sustainable programs life there would actually get better. As it is now it's just a feel good about helping out the disadvantaged summer trip.

But I'm jaded.
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:05 AM
atlcruiser
david
many

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce

It's not the role of the border control people to address unsafe vehicles on the roads in America.
Wanted to hop in on this. CBP is not enforcement for either DOT or EPA. Their have a responsibility to examine to verify what the goods are and if they are generally ok to import. If there is any question about the goods the actual agency responsible gets involved.

In the case of EPA or DOT, if customs has reason to believe there is an infraction they file notice with the relevant agency. That agency generally has 30 days to make a decision. That will involve physically examining the vehicle or through photos remotely. If the relevant agency does not respond within the 30 day window or does not get an extension the vehicle is released.

CBP can push for an inspection if they feel there is intentional or gross problems. More often than not the info is filed and the 30 day is handled remotely.

Some trucks seem to "sneak" through. Generally they have incorrect motors, 200 or 300s, but correct vin, chassis V5 etc... there is no sneaking at all. CBP filed and EPA could not get their act together quick enough and the truck was released. DOT has greater manpower to look into this stuff for CBP so there are more seizures related to vin issues.

The agents n Brunswick told me if the vin and V5 match she does not care if it has a Ferrari motor; after 30 days it is released.

Baltimore is well known fir strict enforcement. Just so happens both EPA and DOT are right down the road in DC.

URBAN LAND CRUISERS LLC

+44 404 915 1281
Atlanta, GA USA

URBAN LAND CRUISERS + ROVERS LTD
1st Floor, 2, Woodberry Grove
London
N12 0DR
UNITED KINGDOM
+44 020 8133 1557

Company Registration No. 09003009

Our new Vehicle Sales site:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, 90, ac, d-90, defender, defender 110, import