Defender As Daily Driver - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 21st, 2006, 09:58 PM
D90DAILY
Glenn Butler
1994 Defender

Defender As Daily Driver

As evident by my UserID, I just bought my first Defender and am going to try it as my daily driver. I guess I am a glutton for punishment, but my commute is only 8 miles one way. I just picked up an Aries Blue ST in New Jersey this weekend, and I figure that if I can drive it 500 miles back down to Charlotte, I will certainly be able to handle the daily commute. Any suggestions on common problems that I could do some early preventive maintenance on to avoid being stranded and having to jump in the wifes LR3 to get to work?

Also, there are several things that I need to fix to get the truck up to my standards, so I will be posting in the other forums for parts, technical help, etc. in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2006, 10:35 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Every Land Rover in my driveway (currently 4) has been my primary daily driver at one time or another over the last thirty four years. From my '67 SIIA pickup to the '66 109 diesel wagon and on to a 85 Range Rover Vogue (long gone), the 91 RRC Hunter and now the D-90 I've had great service out of the vehicles with only nominal repairs required (except for the engine/transmission rebuilds on the 109 at the 200K mile mark). I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on my Land Rovers and the main key is regular oil changes and fixing stuff when it first starts to feel like something is starting to go wrong. An eight mile commute will be a piece of cake for a D-90.
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:25 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I do 16 miles daily in mine, and so far it has handled it better than the 2001 Volvo S60 I was driving previously. I change the oil like clockwork and it`s been treating me really well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2006, 11:37 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You'll be fine. You may be disappointed that it takes more than a gallon of fuel to do your 16 mile round trip, but that will only convince you of the "necessity" of converting to diesel.
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:57 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Glenn--

I sold my other car a while back and asked the same thing when I did it. I agree with the rest of the folks...just fix stuff when it is needed and one thing that I always think is smart is changing the oil cooler lines. I know it is not necessary, but I did mine just in case. Also a good idea to have the "Defender fund" for when stuff breaks. I keep an account just for this reason. Have not had to tap into often, but it's nice on rainy days. I travel every week so I only put about 7K a year on the 90, but I try not to be stingy with the maintenance.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:10 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Welcome aboard. Given the age and the unknown factor regarding the prior owner(s) maintenance record, it can be a good idea to tackle a lot of general service early on. For instance, go ahead and replace the $20 fuel filter. When was the last time it was changed, who knows. Much better than killing the fuel pump pump only to learn the filter was clogged. Same with differential, transmission, and transfer case fluid. Before the summer heats up, have the coolant flushed and be sure to learn how it looks. Definitely replace the oil cooler lines and also look at the power steering lines. Leaks with either can cause fires.

Once you have done a good service overhaul, and made note of anything that looks questionable, like a leaking head gasket, it can help to give the engine bay a good wash. From here on out, you will then know that if there's oil where it shouldn't be, more likely it is a recent issue and not something from years back.

As everyone else has said, don't put off the routine. Parts can prove expensive. Think of it like dental work - a cavity untreated becomes a root canal becomes an implant. These trucks aren't as simple as an old Bronco or Jeep, and they don't like to be treated like one. The "Defender Fund" is a great idea to avoid complications. Do your part, though, and the truck will last quite a while. Mine has been a daily driver since '99. It is hard to imagine ever owning anything else quite like it.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:57 AM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

If you were worried about cost then you wouldnt have brought a LR! right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:57 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Glenn-

I used my D-90 as a daily driver for 4 years when my commute was only 9 miles each way. No problem at all.......loved it!

When my wife and I moved - and my commute became 30 miles each way - I finally got another car to be my daily driver. It took 3 years - but the D-90 finally wore me down. Perhaps the thing I liked least - was the small gas tank......and fuel mileage. I was stopping for gas - ALL THE TIME - expecially in the winter when I tried to keep the tank over half......

BUT now - I still love the D-90 and it is very useful to have arround..........

You will have no problem - just find a shop that will know when things should be fixed - and stay on top of preventitive maintenance........

Flagg
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:19 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

i've been daily driving mine 30 miles each way for the last two weeks, i'm thinking about selling my real daily driver and buying a motorcycle to commute on the +60 non-rainy days, we'll see if that fllies with the wife though...
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:32 AM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

Welcome! Assume that the PO did nothing. When I purchased my D-90 I found a shop that was nearby and that I trusted (Gordon at Inland Rovers) and had him go over everything. Kind of like rolling the whole maintenance schedule back to "0". It may not be the most economical way to go, but I have a certain amount of confidence when I'm out in the middle of the desert that all systems are at their best! Good luck!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:34 PM
wineryrover
Robb
D90, SIII, LR3 & DII

Registry
Welcome to the forum.....I daily drive mine as well, about 25 miles a day. Have been doing so for the last 7 years. Biggest benefit: If you are stuck in traffic, at least you are in a rover. Biggest downfall: Gas. I wouldn't want to think about what I have spent on gas. In seven years, never been left stranded (knock on wood).
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Yeah - if you're in a Rover there are a lot more options on creative ways to avoid traffic jams - on more than one occaision I've led a group of Land Rovers up a bank on the side of the Interstate to escape a massive traffic tie up on the trip to and from the MAR. And the answer to the gas problem is spelled Tdi - this thing gets better mileage than my Mini Cooper S did (of course its nowhere near as fast but thats probably a good thing...)
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
D90DAILY
Glenn Butler
1994 Defender

Thanks for all the words of advice. I have a long list of things that I need to do and plan to get started right away. The one thing that I did take away from this thread that I had not heard about were the oil lines. I will investigate this right away. As to cost and preventive maintenace on Rovers in general, I am pretty familiar with things since I bought a Disco new in 96 and still have the car after almost 200k miles. I am just not that familiar with the D90 and I am sure that I will find this forum invaluable going forward.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:23 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
drove my '67 series IIA fully loaded roofrack, wife, kid, dog, from New York to California, via CO, AZ way.
Helped a downed jeep in death valley that overheated, made it to LA no problems. CO was fun in the rockies,
engine screaming at altitude with a full load, 35mphr tops uphill! After two years in LA, I came backwith the dog in the O'l series LA to NY with a stop over in MI. (kid, wife took the plane this time!). I will never forget it.

I use my D90 everyday, never broke down on the road. My D90 does like to be maintained, and I try to accomodate.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
tron
Thomas F
Recently Roverless

Speaking of the fuel filter...where is it on the 97? Sorry for the ignorance...I have never looked for it.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

I drive mine everyday the weather is nice, yeah I'm a wuss. I love the heated seats in my GMC too much, plus the soft top fits like ass and if it is raining I get my left arm wet. Today it is sunny and 80 so I drove the D.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:18 PM
BeachBum
Paul Schuetz
1991 Range Rover

Put over 20K on mine last year. Did Tahoe twice with 3 friends in the middle of winter with all of the gear on the roof rack in Glad bags. Does get a little chilly though, sitting in dead stop traffic with everyone in thier boarding gear, including gloves; until Sacramento. 400 miles each way and no one really complained at all. Before that I took it to the Baja 1000 in Mex, almost 600 miles each way and always carry at least 2 5 gallon jerry cans behind the back seat just in case.

Later, Paul
Old November 7th, 2015, 06:41 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Bump

Plan is to use it as a dd whenever we get it back from the shop

Would be cool to see a poll on this thread (especially for ROWs...heh heh)
Old November 7th, 2015, 07:28 PM
Roverdoc
Dan Kemper
1997 D90 SW #278

I did what Trevor did. Daily drive the 90 and ride the KTM a couple days of week. Rovers like to be driven. More issues seem to pop up when the sit and dry out. Preventative maintenance is key. Driving another car and or moto always makes it refreshing to come back to the 90. All the money you save on not owning another car, insurance etc goes along ways if you do the work on the defender yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01 View Post
i've been daily driving mine 30 miles each way for the last two weeks, i'm thinking about selling my real daily driver and buying a motorcycle to commute on the +60 non-rainy days, we'll see if that fllies with the wife though...
Old November 7th, 2015, 07:58 PM
NAS Addict
Jeff
95 D90 ST #2617

Registry
I drive my 95 ST 7 days a week and my weekday commute is 25 miles each way. The tank is small like mentioned and the milage sucks, but who cares. We don't drive these because they are practical. I had a disco for a long time and they are temperamental for sure. The D90s are not nearly that bad, just keep oil in it and you will be good to roll. They are loud, drafty, stinky (exhaust fumes), and awesome. Drive it hard and enjoy it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat