Defender 90 Cash For Clunkers Trade In :( - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Must have been the Defender Secret Police... Personally taking the mysterious D90 to the White House.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
the story at manheim is, vehicles are sold with a bill of sale - no title - and some with a salvage certificate, no rovers today ( sorry Pendy the RRS I am keeping it for myself ), tons of old expeditions, suburbans, vans, uhaul looking trucks.

btw typing from the iphone on the forum it sucks
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:49 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

My local salvage guys are going to freak out about that. They can not even pick cars up from the dealership yet. Dealership is waiting on funds first.

So who gets the money that they bid for? Does it go to the original owner of said vehicle as indicated early on in the program? Minus fees to auction and dealer transfer.

Let me know where to send the transporter for my RRS.

Or maybe I'll just come out and pick it up. Siezed engine and all. Turn it into a truggy. LOL

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
My local salvage guys are going to freak out about that. They can not even pick cars up from the dealership yet. Dealership is waiting on funds first.

So who gets the money that they bid for? Does it go to the original owner of said vehicle as indicated early on in the program? Minus fees to auction and dealer transfer.

Let me know where to send the transporter for my RRS.

Or maybe I'll just come out and pick it up. Siezed engine and all. Turn it into a truggy. LOL

Pendy...

The wording in the original program was actually not interpreted correctly. NHTSA did not mean that dealers had to reimburse any additional funds over the $50 as it was originally stated. They actually meant that the dealer should notify the customer if the proceding funds from the sale would be in excess of the $50. So if you traded in an old Discovery, and the Salvage yard paid the dealer $100 for it, the dealer should notify the customer that the actual value of the truck was $100. Said dealer did not have to give any of the money to the customer, unless it was negotiated in the deal.
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Taylor, the way it was set up is, as you say, they had to be notified and the amount could be estimated, but that if the customer pressed they could work the actual salvage value into the deal (which no one did for all intents and purposes).

Ron
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Taylor, the way it was set up is, as you say, they had to be notified and the amount could be estimated, but that if the customer pressed they could work the actual salvage value into the deal (which no one did for all intents and purposes).

Ron
That is correct.
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:42 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I know I would have. But I am not new car material.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
A PCRC (Pacific Coast Rover Club) member just sent a club e-mial saying at least 2 - 1993 D-110's have been scrapped, plus the list of Discos below. This sounds crazy but I don't know why the club member would make this up!!

Disco Is:
1994 61
1995 180
1996 274
1997 229
1998 187
1999 84

Disco IIs"
1999 142
2000 200
2001 91
2002 38
2003 19
2004 3
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
That's just data from that same PDF linked above.

I too have a hard time believing either the owner or the dealer (i can see the owner but not BOTH) don't see the value in a rare vehicle like a 93 110, but who knows.

charles
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I agree with Charles. It doesn't seem likely that a Defender owner would be so oblivious, and more importantly, I would think the dealer would make the catch and just steal the trade. If someone comes into the dealer with the intent to turn their car into the program, they are basically stating that they will take $4,500 for the car. I don't see why the dealer wouldn't just ACV the trade for $4,500 and keep the car, or wholesale it for profit. The customer is still getting what they want, so it doesn't make a difference to them (if they are even aware of what the dealer is doing).

That being said, I don't know if there was something about that written into the law as our dealership didn't take part in the clunker program anyway.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
With no D90's on the list, it looks like the D90 that started this thread was just a myth!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
That's just data from that same PDF linked above.

I too have a hard time believing either the owner or the dealer (i can see the owner but not BOTH) don't see the value in a rare vehicle like a 93 110, but who knows.

charles
Didn't see the pdf above... here it is:

http://www.cars.gov/files/official-i...n-vehicles.pdf

2 d110's page 87

really stupid.
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I am going to submit a FOIA request for the VINs.
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Even 2 Laforza's got trashed, I would of taken those for 4500 each n restored them!

Robert Deniro
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:05 PM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

a lot of those laforzas are in such bad condition they aren't even worth restoring. Does anyone have any experience with them though? I've always thought they were pretty cool--especially the late 90's edition that was slightly updated. These ones are few and far between, but have HRE wheels (factory I believe) and an updated interior.

I like this one sans the ferrari badging: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAFOR...=p4506.c0.m245
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Yeah, but I can completely understand the Discos............................................ ............... ;-)
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:34 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I am going to submit a FOIA request for the VINs.
i had already tried calling a couple times. got nothing out of them. supposedly the dealers did not have to report VINs....? sounded like BS to me, but everyone i've spoken to insists they have no way of even tracking what towns the 110's were traded in.
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:32 PM
WildWillard
Doug Corley
None

I'm coming to this party late, but wanted to share this for those interested in the VINs of the 110's (this is from the NHTSA site)

"The electronic form requires the dealer to input and attach several pieces of information about the vehicle purchaser, trade-in vehicle, and new vehicle...For the trade-in vehicle and new vehicle, the dealer must input characteristics of the vehicle (e.g., make, model, model year, combined fuel economy, odometer reading, VIN, base MSRP, engine and transmission description), and input and attach evidence of vehicle insurance, registration and title."

This would indicate that the information is there, someone just has to mine the data. I would also think location might be even more valuable to try to track them down to save them from the crusher.
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I am going to make a FIOA request when I get some time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, defender 90