Defender 90 Cash For Clunkers Trade In :( - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I think Pendy was saying that Car Dealers are natorious for playing games... Marking up the price to mark it down... Hence, you may still be able to get a CFC deal or at lease the $4500 for a POS $1200 car.

Recently, a friend of an employee of mine went to buy a new car, negotiated his price then told them he had a clunker, and that would not honor the deal... They had to reprice everything, so there are games going on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

A few months ago we were selling new cars at invoice, when CFC came in we upped the price to sticker and added a further $1,000 additional dealer mark up ans sold just about everything on the lot. Only people who made out of this was the dealers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
other way around, you have to kill the engine so they send you the money
This was changed about a quarter way through the program. NHTSA finally realized, after a lot of input from the NADA, that it would be crazy for a dealer to disable a car not knowing 100% if the deal would go through. My family owns a couple of dealerships and I was heading up the CFC program at both. This program was basically a double edge sword kind of thing. We sold a good amount of cars, but as of yet, have only been paid on 4.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
A few months ago we were selling new cars at invoice, when CFC came in we upped the price to sticker and added a further $1,000 additional dealer mark up ans sold just about everything on the lot. Only people who made out of this was the dealers
I disagree. We had a lot of trades that on a ACV (actual cash value) basis would have been in the $200 to $700 area. These people were able to get $3500 to $4500 for them. I don't know what makes of cars you sale but we have very few cars with that much mark-up to make up the diffference b/t those numbers (we have GM and Chrysler franchises)

Did the dealers make out on the program---Sure. We sold cars which is what we go to work to do. But the consumer made out pretty good also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
stlnoble
patrick noble
02' p38

what i know about the programs is the trucks just has to roll on it 's 4 wheel it dont have to have all the parts on the truck
this what i was told by someone hear in st louis mo.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
This was changed about a quarter way through the program. NHTSA finally realized, after a lot of input from the NADA, that it would be crazy for a dealer to disable a car not knowing 100% if the deal would go through. My family owns a couple of dealerships and I was heading up the CFC program at both. This program was basically a double edge sword kind of thing. We sold a good amount of cars, but as of yet, have only been paid on 4.
I didnt know things changed, and ive heard that there were really far behind on paying dealers.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

My understanding is that you have to be registered to purchase the CFC cars. As a salvage dealer on an approved list with CFC. This goes against any kind of a general auction policy. I would be grateful if you could prove me wrong and provide some facts that these vehicles can be auctioned. Because it is not happening in my area.

But it you are just talking out your a$$ HERE IS SOME CAP TALK RIGHT BACK AT YA BLOWHARD

Auction on the salvage side seems more legitimate. But my understanding is that you have to be a registered buyer under CFC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Manheim Auto Auction doesn't conduct FAKE AUCTIONS.

They will sell this car WITH title on their Salvage side under the ANNOUNCEMENT, of CFC vehicle ' Engine and Gas Tank Disable "

I will attend this Friday to see what is about , but I was there Yesterday and the Auction's GM suggested to stop by as there are going to be some " INTERESTING " vehicles

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Pendy,

First allow me to tell you I don't appreciate the tone of your statement, nor I could understand what makes you KING of the Hill ( as if you don't know is it is not happening - nor I care if you think is not possible cause ain't happening in Kansas), now if responding like a Jackass wasn't your intention, my apologies.

Now, for the business at hand, are you a Registered Dealer with Manheim AA? cause if you are, just call them. If you are not, you are welcome to come over to BWAE ( Baltimore Washington Auto Exchange ) Manheim Auction in MD, and I will walk in with you .

Every REGISTERED Auction Dealer ( of Finance Company for that matter - That is what I am ), is allowed to purchase units on the Salvage Auction of Manheim Auto Auction, no special anything is needed.

As a matter of facts, even Co-part ( strictly Salvage units ) doesn't require any specific license from the Buyer other than be registered ( know a bunch of Lousey Dealers trying to floorplan with us some TR or SH )
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
My understanding is that you have to be registered to purchase the CFC cars. As a salvage dealer on an approved list with CFC. This goes against any kind of a general auction policy. I would be grateful if you could prove me wrong and provide some facts that these vehicles can be auctioned. Because it is not happening in my area.

But it you are just talking out your a$$ HERE IS SOME CAP TALK RIGHT BACK AT YA BLOWHARD

Auction on the salvage side seems more legitimate. But my understanding is that you have to be a registered buyer under CFC.
The buyer of CFC vehicles does have to be registered and on the approved list with NHTSA. As every knows, the dealer has to disable to vehicle by locking up the motor. The salvage/junk yard then picks up the vehicle from the dealer. I have not seen nor heard off any rules that states if the vehicle has to be parted at that point. So I guess technically, the salvage dealer could sell the car at auction under the disclosure of it having a salvage title and non-working motor/transmission.

So, the big question is, what happens when someone buys said vehicle and then tries to register it......
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

My intention was to come off as a jackass. Like for like. Certainly not "King of the Hill" on this subject, as all I am doing is asking questions and providing examples of how things are being handled in my area. Not sure why you got your panties in a wad when I talked about a fake auction. But I am wondering how dealers are getting rid of vehicles that they pretended to sell with CFC discounts. It did happen around the nation from what I am hearing.

I think you are wrong about this. I think buyers will have to be registered with a list outside of Mannheim. In order to purchase CFC cars. I think the CFC cars should be auctioned. But our area is having trouble following policy for CFC so they are being sold in lots to different salvage yards for dispersal and 6 month scraping policy.

That is my point in asking you questions to see if you were aware of how they were trying to operate under CFC guidlines. If you are able to view the auction of CFC cars perhaps the details will be disclosed to you at that time. I look forward to what you find out. So you can be King of the Hill on this matter.

Its a long walk for me to attend the auction. So I will have to pass. But thanks for the invite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Pendy,

First allow me to tell you I don't appreciate the tone of your statement, nor I could understand what makes you KING of the Hill ( as if you don't know is it is not happening - nor I care if you think is not possible cause ain't happening in Kansas), now if responding like a Jackass wasn't your intention, my apologies.

Now, for the business at hand, are you a Registered Dealer with Manheim AA? cause if you are, just call them. If you are not, you are welcome to come over to BWAE ( Baltimore Washington Auto Exchange ) Manheim Auction in MD, and I will walk in with you .

Every REGISTERED Auction Dealer ( of Finance Company for that matter - That is what I am ), is allowed to purchase units on the Salvage Auction of Manheim Auto Auction, no special anything is needed.

As a matter of facts, even Co-part ( strictly Salvage units ) doesn't require any specific license from the Buyer other than be registered ( know a bunch of Lousey Dealers trying to floorplan with us some TR or SH )

Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

So, the big question is, what happens when someone buys said vehicle and then tries to register it......[/QUOTE]
You can't because you do not have the original title of the vehicle. When you trade in your CFC "Dealer" will photocopy the title, and owner keep the original. However, someone can buy the vehicle in the auction only for parts, "which could repair other vehicles or recycled as scrap and used to manufacture other products".
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I am not sure if the Dealer directly selling on the Salvage side of the Auction or if it is a Salvage Company representing the Vehicles on behalf of the Dealer, but when the GM mentioned it to me, he said and I quote " All the CFC Vehicles from XYZ Auto
will be auctioned at the Salvage side on Friday and there is going to be some Exciting Vehicles ".

So, I will tell you how they are sold on Friday evening, hell I might even buy one just for the sake of knowing what comes through ( and if there are Rovers and cheap I might buy some and then figure out what the hell to do with them , any needs? *LOL* ), and if I get a Salvage Certificate or a Bill of Sale only.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

100.00 budget You can bid for me.

Newest bodystyle RR or RR sport.

Most of the CFC cars are going for 50.00 around here so try not to spend the entire budget.

Have fun!

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover26c
So, the big question is, what happens when someone buys said vehicle and then tries to register it......
You can't because you do not have the original title of the vehicle. When you trade in your CFC "Dealer" will photocopy the title, and owner keep the original. However, someone can buy the vehicle in the auction only for parts, "which could repair other vehicles or recycled as scrap and used to manufacture other products".[/QUOTE]
Not correct. We (the dealers) keep the trade titles, mark as Junk Automobile and pass the title on to the salvage yard.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummer96
You can't because you do not have the original title of the vehicle. When you trade in your CFC "Dealer" will photocopy the title, and owner keep the original. However, someone can buy the vehicle in the auction only for parts, "which could repair other vehicles or recycled as scrap and used to manufacture other products".
Not correct. We (the dealers) keep the trade titles, mark as Junk Automobile and pass the title on to the salvage yard.[/QUOTE]

I know what I'm talking about!
Maybe every State is different. A month ago I had my D1 traded in under CFC program, and the "Dealer" only requested a photocopy of the title. I have the original title!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Didn't realize this would turn in to such a pissing contest. Hopefully someone down in Richmond can snap a few pics of the lowly Defender awaiting its fate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

I know what I'm talking about!
Maybe every State is different. A month ago I had my D1 traded in under CFC program, and the "Dealer" only requested a photocopy of the title. I have the original title! [/QUOTE]
Trust me.....I worked on and submitted every deal that our dealership did (60+ deals). The dealer was supposed to keep the title and mark the title as "Junk Automobile, CARS.GOV".

I am sure that every state was the same. However, NHTSA and Cars.GOV have no way of knowing if the dealer has/had the title. We just had to scan each title in and submit via the dealer website. Kind of strange your dealer did not keep the titles.......
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Not sure, but anyhow everything is clear now and everyone is happy

Old September 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
redhummer96
Taylor
None

Did anyone ever make it by to see this particular Defender?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
Well, went to both Volvo dealerships here in Richmond in pursuit of the unwanted Defender. Did not find it in any of the lots. Only found this white Range Rover.

Are we sure a Defender was turned in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401 (Custom).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	21345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402 (Custom).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	21346  

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Great, the dude started an urban myth.

Follow-up Post:

I just got an email from the guy who works at the dealership and he claims a bunch of suits showed up with papers and a few hours later the D90 was gone. No one in the office would talk about it. He's probably just a Jeep guy toying with us!

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, defender 90