Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication
He claims they already put silicon in the motor...

I'll talk to him this morning when he pics up his TJ. I am skeptical of the entire story, so I'll interrogate him some more this morning.
No biggie. Put a new one in. It's $4,500 for christ's sake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Question: What Happens to Old Cars Under the Cash for Clunkers Program?
Cash for Clunkers is a federal program designed to stimulate U.S. auto sales and help the environment by providing an economic incentive for consumers to replace old, low-mileage vehicles with new, fuel-efficient models that are safer and emit less pollution and fewer greenhouse gases.

Answer: Dealers would send the Cash for Clunkers trade-ins to a salvage operator. The legislation requires the engine, transmission and other drivetrain components to be destroyed so they canít be reused and continue to pollute the air and burn excessive amounts of fuel. Salvage operators would be free to resell other vehicle parts, however, which could be used to repair other vehicles or recycled as scrap and used to manufacture other products.
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So I talked to the this morning when he picked up his TJ. What he describes sounds like a VIN swap and many parts have already been taken off of it. The cage and a lot of the dash is missing, and so is the VIN plate by the windshield. He said the VIN stamped on the frame looks pretty cheesy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

so the guy wasn't that dumb
Old August 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Sounds like it would be worth taking a look at... Get a few pics.

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:25 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
I am going to have to swing by this Volvo dealer and take a look at this truck.
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Please do. I want to verify that it's a true story! Please let us know what you find and post some pics!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:05 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

If they've already seized the motor then they've already gotten paid on it, which means it is probably already gone from the dealer's lot.
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:06 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
If they've already seized the motor then they've already gotten paid on it, which means it is probably already gone from the dealer's lot.
Maybe not - it was there as of Saturday.

Semper Fi!
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:14 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
At the very least if this is true, the parts would be worth picking over at a JY.
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:06 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

-
1. silicon in the engine is a requirement for the Clunkers program, as it must be disabled that way. No dealership is going to mess with that step as not doing so could slow down the reimbursement from the government on all submissions from that dealership. Just got to except it as a death in the family.

2. Sounds like whoever turned it in knew what to do and stripped it out first. As the truck can be and is expected to be sold for parts they shoud sell what ever is left as parts. If the guy got $4500 - what is the official MPG for the 1994 defender? or $3500 AND stripped it first - that's one for the little guy!

One question - I assume the VIN must be retired under the clunkers program? If the idea is to get the truck off the road (god, what an oxymoron statement) parting out the thing is the only option.
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:12 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I feel like we should at least hold some sort of memorial service. I mean, jeez, look at the the outpouring of mourners for Ted Kennedy. There should be at least as many Defender owners paying their final respects.

Semper Fi!
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:20 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

I agree.
Having just read the Poor Defender post, I promise to run the next Wrangler I see off the road. A fitting wake (if you get the pun).
Old September 1st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
-
1. silicon in the engine is a requirement for the Clunkers program, as it must be disabled that way. No dealership is going to mess with that step as not doing so could slow down the reimbursement from the government on all submissions from that dealership. Just got to except it as a death in the family.

2. Sounds like whoever turned it in knew what to do and stripped it out first. As the truck can be and is expected to be sold for parts they shoud sell what ever is left as parts. If the guy got $4500 - what is the official MPG for the 1994 defender? or $3500 AND stripped it first - that's one for the little guy!

One question - I assume the VIN must be retired under the clunkers program? If the idea is to get the truck off the road (god, what an oxymoron statement) parting out the thing is the only option.
You seize the motor only after you get paid from the gov't, in case the deal unwinds.
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:05 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Dammit. I was hoping there'd be pics here by now!
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:32 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
You seize the motor only after you get paid from the gov't, in case the deal unwinds.
other way around, you have to kill the engine so they send you the money
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication
Talked to the guy about getting some parts off it, that's a no-go. They'd lose their clunkers $$.

The VIN shows up on LR FAQ, wonder why it's invalid?

Actually Jonathan, what he told you about parts is absolute BS, this Friday, at Manheim Auto Auction ( Dealers' only auction ) there are over 500 units from CFC. It is such a crap what the program did.

These units come straight from the dealer with the XXX ( whatever is poured into the gas tank + engine )
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
Actually Jonathan, what he told you about parts is absolute BS, this Friday, at Manheim Auto Auction ( Dealers' only auction ) there are over 500 units from CFC. It is such a crap what the program did.

These units come straight from the dealer with the XXX ( whatever is poured into the gas tank + engine )
The 500 units noted above are those parts or vehicles? If its vehicles, then how can Dealer's auction the vehicles from CFC trade ins program? Dealer's don't have the original title of the vehicle (only photocopy). "The VIN will be entered into the database as "retired" then Dealer's get paid from the Gov't.

However, "salvage operators would be free to resell other vehicle parts, however, which could be used to repair other vehicles or recycled as scrap and used to manufacture other products".
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

A lot of fake CFC sales more then likely. I bet there are still CFC sales going on if you look hard enough 'wink'

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Manheim Auto Auction doesn't conduct FAKE AUCTIONS.

They will sell this car WITH title on their Salvage side under the ANNOUNCEMENT, of CFC vehicle ' Engine and Gas Tank Disable "

I will attend this Friday to see what is about , but I was there Yesterday and the Auction's GM suggested to stop by as there are going to be some " INTERESTING " vehicles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, defender 90