Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 2nd, 2011, 02:47 PM
provfirescott
Scott
1997 D90 SofTop White (SOLD)

Defender 90/110 Softop Vers Hardtop!

What is everyones reasons for picking either their soft top or hardtop
I am from the Jeep world and have always had the dual top option.
But the 97 D90 Softtop I have only has the Softtop but seems to me being new here that majority of people like the 4doors 110 Vers the 90's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Since we have a very limited supply it is a bit different than going to the dealership to get your new Jeep. The steps go a little different. I think you see a lot of people wanting 110s now because the NAS90 we have had in a good amount for 15 years. the NAS110 was very hard to buy for a lot of people. So now that we can finally import Defenders you will see people wanting to get the 110 version now.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 04:30 PM
2yellowlabs
Rob
92 RRC, 99 DII, 06 LR3, 09 LR2

I had a ST for 10 months and only got to enjoy it with the top off for 1.5 months. Just not practical where it rains, is cold and/or you don't have a garage. Next 90 will be a SW for these reasons. If you need more space and you have the extra dough you get a 110 I guess.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:58 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I really like the ST's if I get another job where I make money I will certainly get one. I have a SW and wish I could take the top off maybe a week out of the year. There is a fiberglass hardtop available for the NAS Defenders, I know nothing about it. You could convert your ST to a SW but its not something you do in a half hour.

The 110's are like virgins you want what you cant have, I had to settle for a RRC and I am really glad I did. Defenders are overpriced, 110's are exceptionally over priced. You can get a 25yo thats a pile of shit for no less than 13-15k best I can tell.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:01 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The NAS ST are rare in the LR world, there are no other ones available nor will there be, as Safety Devices destroyed the mold.

The ideal scenario, is to have one of each, plus a 110, a series truck and a RR for the wife.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
The NAS ST are rare in the LR world, there are no other ones available nor will there be, as Safety Devices destroyed the mold.

The ideal scenario, is to have one of each, plus a 110, a series truck and a RR for the wife.
You're brilliant.. I owe you a beer..
Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:56 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
You're brilliant.. I owe you a beer..
Perfect, bring a few to Uwharrie!

Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:43 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

I've had both. My impressions, these are just generalizations.

Daily driver.........SW

No garage.........SW

Cold/Wet climate........SW

The ST is great if you don't have to keep taking the top on and off. It gets old no matter how much you WILL rationalize it. There is no doubt the ST Defender is ABSOLUTELY the best way to drive it especially if you go off road a lot. It's great.

But if you plan on driving through 6 months of cold, and wet, and snow.......not the best option as the top will be on. And if the top has to be on, the SW is ABSOLUTELY the best way to drive it.

It's just the way it is, hard to argue with them. I initially had a ST for 4 years and now that I could get either I chose the SW hands down. But I live in Illinois, and don't off road much either. I try to drive it most days too.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
My impressions from 29 years of driving nothing but open top vehicles.

It depends on where you live.

When I lived in Illinois it would rain about every three days so I spent a lot of time with wet carpet and driving around with a rain coat on. In high school I would put a tarp over my Blazer in the school parking lot to try and keep the rain out.

I spent 2 summers in Arkansas and never took the top off as it felt like it rained every day.

When I moved back to Illinois and had some money I bought one of those covers that fit over the Jeep so when I went to work I could throw the cover on in 10 seconds and be covered from the constant rain.

Got tired of the rain and moved to Colorado. Because the softop is not easy to take off and put back on it comes off in May and goes back on in late August for hunting season. The weather is nice here so now I drive around with the top off and feel sorry for everyone that drives a SW.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Scott,
I have both and agree with the comments above. SW is my daily driver. ST is the best for the open air. I had my first ST in CT about 15 years ago, my advice to you is start looking for a removable fiberglass hard top now. You will be glad you have it. Leave it on all winter. There are usually a few for sale in the For Sale Section.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old October 3rd, 2011, 05:17 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

I am in the same boat as CraigD.

I am in Denver. My top comes off in May and goes back on in October. Have I driven it in the snow with the top off? Yes. But just a few times.

I love the ST. I wouldn't trade it.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 06:00 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

NAS ST has more elbow room than NAS SW because of the roll-up windows.

NAS ST has different door latch mech on the jamb than the SW. If you are a bigger guy; catching your pants back belt loop on the SW door latch pin is very easy to do. Not an issue on ST.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

Love the ST as it is mainly my off-road, mtn biking, etc vehicle...takes me (alone) less than five minutes to drop the Badger ST (to reinstall as well), to remove the front door tops, both stow nicely in bags behind the rear bench (most times I have 3 passengers or someone is jumping in on the trail)...open air wheeling at its best. I carry a tonneau for the sun; leave the Badger on with side windows removed as a surrey. Fiberglass top goes on in December and comes off in the spring or until the first trip of the year to Moab. Admittedly, the noise is sometimes annoying at hwy speeds on the longer trips (not a trailer queen); the FG top takes ˝ day to carefully reinstall and seal up… I have made improvements to both the Badger and the FG top...less flapping and better heat...not looking forward to replacing the badger when it wears out $$$; have replaced the sunroof and one side window...both had cracked due to poor handling; costs couple hundred...

If I could only own one as my Daily driver...I would buy the SW.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, 90, defender 90, hardtop