Defender 110 safety - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 7th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Streaky
Alden
1994/D90 NAS

I had to do a bit of convincing to sell my wife on the kids riding in the back of the D90 jump seats. After the first summer of driving around with the kids laughing in the back...we never talked about it again.

Think of the memories you'll make, not the worst case scenario.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2014, 08:33 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Since we are all wearing rose colored glasses...Any of the new cars laughed at in this thread will be a lot better in PREVENTING an accident. Not just ABS, airbags, crumple zones, side impact bars....even the cheap rigs or any family SUV these days have multiple crash detection and or prevention aids/nannies. Not all of us are Pikes Peak/Baja 500 qualified drivers.

That said, I grew up riding all sorts of live and metal objects without helmets and restraints and even drank out of a garden hose a time or two. I have no issue putting my kids at risk in Defenders and thats what they'll drive when they hit driving age.

Do what your rank can handle!
Old July 7th, 2014, 08:49 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Maybe I've been living under a rock in lala land, but I have not heard of very many fatalities in Rovers. Unless of course the other vehicle was a Kenworth or a GE locomotive.
What was previously stated about defensive driving is better than any SRS system. And how you react pre-impact.
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2014, 10:35 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Safety was a concern for me buying a 110 - this is why I budgeted for a roll cage up front. That's the biggest concern. As others have said, the lack of crumple zones or general side impact protection will continue to be concerning.

I mitigate the rest (especially with the kids in the car) by driving it like I would a motorcycle. That, paired with the fact I go very slow (by design), makes me feel pretty safe in the 110.

Only thing that continues to concern me is it's high speed avoidance capability... I wouldn't want to swerve at 60 mph in mine. I also wouldn't want to drop a tire off a low shoulder.

Old July 8th, 2014, 05:14 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Drive it like its designed and you'll be just fine. I feel a lot safer in my defender thanI do in my range rover. My dd is a civic hatchback, I'm always on the look out for fools
Old July 8th, 2014, 07:30 AM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

WOW.... I sat down at the computer this morning a little sad I didn't get any responses to this post. I had no idea my account notifications were set up wrong. I'm humbled by all of your responses. Thank you all!

I think this may show another reason why owning a Defender is more than just driving a vehicle around. Can you go to a Prius or Camry forum (not to pick on them in particular) and ask a question like this and get TWO PAGES worth of responses? I have been watching this forum for a while now, and it always amazes me how quick everyone is to help someone out. I love it.

I might be moving to the city in a year (for grad school), so a Defender would have to wait until after we get out of there... I don't like the idea of driving that kind of rig around downtown D.C....

You all make great points... drive it like it's supposed to be driven... or like a motorcycle if you want to be even more careful... and don't look back saying "I wish I had...". I will always maintain a nice, new, safe vehicle for my wife and children to drive around in, and for road trips. The Defender would replace an old Honda Element I have, which is used for three things. 1) Driving to work, which consists of city streets for about a mile followed by another couple miles on an Air Force base... speed limit is 25 and everyone is pretty safe. Just roll down your window, put your arm out the window, and take it easy. 2) Driving up into the mountains for camping. Not off-roading, but old dirt 4x4 roads to get back into the mountains and put some tents on the ground (or on the roof?). 3) For heading to the hardware store and serve a "truck" purpose picking up things that I don't want to haul in a nice, new vehicle.

Perhaps it's the rose-colored glasses.... maybe I'm just wearing Defender goggles right now... but it's gonna happen. I don't think I could ever look back without regret if I let this dream pass.

I appreciate all of your responses!
Old July 8th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What's the issue with driving a defender around DC ? Those of us who have lived in the area have all driven our trucks all through out DC, parked them on the street both during the day and @ night.
I don't get your statement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 8th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
When I was in law enforcement...
Your three anecdotes about surviving without a belt are far outweighed by those that survived because of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Any of the new cars laughed at in this thread will be a lot better in PREVENTING an accident.
That is the point of a newer car. We like to believe that we are all Jackie Stewart and do not need any aids but things like the fast reacting ABS, traction sensors, yaw sensors, etc... make cars safer. It is not just the crumple zones and air bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
What's the issue with driving a defender around DC ? Those of us who have lived in the area have all driven our trucks all through out DC, parked them on the street both during the day and @ night.
I don't get your statement.
When I am in DC, I am barely moving. Any accident will probably be taking place at under 5mph. My wife just got tagged because some moron (cough, Maryland driver, cough) thought that the red light did not apply to him. He tried to wriggle out from behind her and did about $500 damage to the rear bumper. Now, 395 or Route 50 is a different thing altogether.
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:10 AM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
What's the issue with driving a defender around DC ? Those of us who have lived in the area have all driven our trucks all through out DC, parked them on the street both during the day and @ night. I don't get your statement.
I just don't like the idea of driving around crowded streets full of frantic, hurried drivers in a vehicle I want to take care of. Avoiding the major highways in DC is hard, but not impossible so you're left with stop lights and traffic and slower speeds. Less of a risk for serious accidents, but far greater frequency of minor bumps, dings, scratches, dents, and contact with people in far too much of a hurry. I'd rather hold on to my 11-year-old Honda to get knocked around the city, and then buy a Defender when I can move back to a slower pace of life. Just my preference... I grew up outside of Chicago but don't enjoy living in the city.
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TELOS View Post
I just don't like the idea of driving around crowded streets full of frantic, hurried drivers in a vehicle I want to take care of.
My motto when driving in the city is "Just go, they'll stop."
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:18 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
I might be moving to the city in a year (for grad school), so a Defender would have to wait until after we get out of there... I!
You can always find an excuse not to do something, but where's the fun in that? First it was you were going to need to do a bunch of research on them before you purchased (understandable), then a new business that would delay it 12+ months, then a kid, then safety concerns, now a move...life will always get in the way if you allow it to.

Best of luck.
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:26 AM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
...life will always get in the way if you allow it to.
You're completely right... Is there ever a "good time" to take any kind of risk? Time to jump in instead to constantly thinking about what might go wrong.
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
I just don't like the idea of driving around crowded streets full of frantic, hurried drivers in a vehicle I want to take care of. Avoiding the major highways in DC is hard, but not impossible so you're left with stop lights and traffic and slower speeds. Less of a risk for serious accidents, but far greater frequency of minor bumps, dings, scratches, dents, and contact with people in far too much of a hurry. I'd rather hold on to my 11-year-old Honda to get knocked around the city, and then buy a Defender when I can move back to a slower pace of life. Just my preference... I grew up outside of Chicago but don't enjoy living in the city.
NoVa and the Metro area is "a risk for serious accidents, but far greater frequency of minor bumps, dings, scratches, dents, and contact with people in far too much of a hurry." Sorry, no two ways around it. I park my DD Focus at the end of the lot, etc... but still have a dink or two. It is inevitable. That is what car insurance is for.
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:01 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
The other, was a head on at 55mph no seatbelts.
can you explain the physics of this?
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:04 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
..land rover reliability will always get in the way if you allow it to
Fixed it for you
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old July 8th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
If you have the funds just buy one. If you wait, you will eventually talk yourself out of it.
When I found mine at the LR dealership, I got cold feet and my wife told me "just buy it, you only live once". Ten years later I'm glad I listen to her. Since then many things changed, economy took a dump for a while, house, expanding family...you know.
Life is short, have fun with it!

Old July 8th, 2014, 11:17 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Your three anecdotes about surviving without a belt are far outweighed by those that survived because of them.
Wasn't meant to discount or disparage safety devices. Was meant to imply that every collision has a different scenario and outcome.
Yes, there are countless others saved by these same devices which can give some, particularly younger drives, a false sense of security or even invincibility.
Driving smart and defensive are your best safety devices.

------ Follow up post added July 8th, 2014 10:23 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
can you explain the physics of this?
I still look back at it and wonder.
My best two answers are, I was driving a tank of a car, 73 Olds 98 Regency, and it happened in front of a church and God's hand kept me safe.
I do remember putting my arms up and hitting the A pillar. I had a big bruise on my left forearm.
Old July 8th, 2014, 12:20 PM
TELOS
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Found this about an hour from where I currently live (I haven't figured out how to update my location on this forum):
http://www.toybarncars.com/inventory...540979320-9546

Going to see if I can take a look at it sometime in the next week or so.
Old July 8th, 2014, 12:30 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Found this about an hour from where I currently live (I haven't figured out how to update my location on this forum):
http://www.toybarncars.com/inventory...540979320-9546

Going to see if I can take a look at it sometime in the next week or so.
Wasn't that a rivermike truck?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:00 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Wasn't that a rivermike truck?
I believe so. And then a Bill Cox truck?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat