Death wobble saga - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 12th, 2005, 01:15 PM
defender 130
Death wobble saga

Well the hunt continues. I have had off and on front end wobbles at high and low speeds for awhile now. Sometimes it will be months between episodes but when it happens it is violent. I know it is always the last thing you change but here is what I have done so far and what I plan to do in the next week or so. I have changed all the suspension to HD OME and new steering dampner. All new steering ball joints and tie rod (it was bent ). All new suspension bushings with OEM rubber. I took it for a drive yesterday and within one block at 20 miles and hour I hit a bump and it sent the truck into a siezure. Wheel bearings have been bought and will be put in next week along with adjusting the preload if need be. I have a feeling it is the preload or wheels out of ballance. That would be just great if it where the two cheapest and easiest fixes Obviously I am a dumbass for not starting there first but I figured all the other stuff needed replacing anyway at least that is what I tell my wife I think that covers all of it. If anyone can think of another cause please let me know.

Old February 12th, 2005, 01:23 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow
engine mounts maybe?

Old February 12th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Re-Fendered 90
How old is your ride?
2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
First thing I thought of was steering dampner, but you said that's been changed already. Regular shocks too?

Could also be really wonky front wheel alignment, the joints for the steering knuckle, I'd also inspect the rag joint and steering box.

Not much left to check though, really.

Follow-up Post:

Oh, here's another I just thought of. Is your transfer case locked in position maybe? how is the condition of the front differential?

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90
Your going to respond to this...and I am prepared...I bought my 90 in October (i mean my wife bought my 90). I went to AZ to pick it up and so happen to find someone in New Mexico selling an ARB bumper. So, I picked it up on the way home. Once home I was so excited to put the bumper on I took the skid plate off and mounted the bumper. I then took the wife for a ride. I did not put the skid plate back on because I had to take a notch out to fit with the ARB. Nor did I put any bolts back on, including the three bolts that secure the steering control arm. I drove it for about three weeks on and off (no skid plate or bolts). We took it 4wheel'n, but on the way back to denver I noticed a lot of play in the steering. I stopped and looked underneath...nothing out of wack or place...We continued on to Denver via I-70 I was going about 70 mph when...Oh shnikes...The thing started to shimmy everywhere. Lucky I was able to slow down and get it undercontrol. Upon pulling over and taking a serious look I noticed the IDGIT had left out some important bolts. I confessed to my wife that it was my stupid mistake and not a lemon of a vehicle!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat