Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 25th, 2009, 09:31 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Jeez, I didn't even read this until now, not thinking a body-work post could degrade into a festival of stupidity. Departing90, you're rationale is so flimsy as to not even require comment - and you've offered nothing of assistance in this thread. Please think critically about what you're doing before posting something flippant or unhelpful, and Andrew is correct, perhaps you'd be better off with an account over at discoweb.

I hate public criticisms but this can't really go unmentioned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
ursvensk
andreas larsson
1997 NAS D90 SW

newer seen such a waist of time and energy to argue about a repair job that happen forever ago!! Sasha get a life man!!
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Jeez, I didn't even read this until now, not thinking a body-work post could degrade into a festival of stupidity. Departing90, you're rationale is so flimsy as to not even require comment - and you've offered nothing of assistance in this thread. Please think critically about what you're doing before posting something flippant or unhelpful, and Andrew is correct, perhaps you'd be better off with an account over at discoweb.

I hate public criticisms but this can't really go unmentioned.
I dont feel criticized in the slightest Jim as my rationale is rock solid! I nipped this thing in the bud on the previous page by posting up Hornburg Tel #!

Looks like they went through a stint of farming out body work for a brief period!

Seems to me that individuals would rather stir the pot repeatedly & speculate/post up useless comments rather than call that Hornburg & hear it From the horses mouth! These very posters should be on other forums!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

How is your argument rock solid? You said they never have or will do or farm out body work. It was proven they did. YOu were adement about it. Claiming my receipt was fake.
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
How is your argument rock solid? You said they never have or will do or farm out body work. It was proven they did. YOu were adement about it. Claiming my receipt was fake.
I still believe that your receipt could very well pertain to some other work! $1200- for a bondo chop job thats no bigger than 3X7 inches, if that! I dont think so!

As i already stated, it looks like they went through a stint of farming out body work!
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:53 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I don't own a body shop so I can't say what should be charged. This thread needs to be closed. You chimed in and added no value. First you were wrong about them farming out work. Another poster from Santa Monica even claimed to have had body work done on their defender in the same fashion on the this board. He brought his truck in, and Hornburg took it to a body shop. You just want to argue so now you are latching on to the type of work that was done.

I called Golden Hammer to see if they would do anything about the damage. Owners have changed a bunch of times since 98 so no dice.
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If that rear corner was tweaked, needed to be straightened, bondo'd, repainted, $1200 is realistic at a dealership in CA, even if they farmed it out. I am sure the actual cost to the dealership was much less. Either way, someone got ripped off.

Semper Fi!
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf

I called Golden Hammer to see if they would do anything about the damage. Owners have changed a bunch of times since 98 so no dice.
I am shocked!
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Departing90
Maybe but not Hornburg!

They will recommend a body shop but NEVER or ever will sublet!
After:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Departing90
I dont feel criticized in the slightest Jim as my rationale is rock solid! I nipped this thing in the bud on the previous page by posting up Hornburg Tel #!

Looks like they went through a stint of farming out body work for a brief period!
Give it a break already.. you were proven wrong.. apologize to Barry for insinuating he was lying and move on.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
Before:

After:

apologize to Barry for insinuating he was lying and move on.
You are correct.

I stand corrected.

Barry i apologize for having said that (They will recommend a body shop but NEVER or ever will sublet!) when they obviously did at some point!
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:08 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

No apology is needed! I do think he should surrender his defender to a more worthy owner.
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
No apology is needed! I do think he should surrender his defender to a more worthy owner.
I sold it already to countless forum members!
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:12 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

The Guy "Mike" referenced in Barry's invoice is the guy I've dealt with many times from there. I think he may be one of the owners or Managers. I had to speak to him once in person because they cracked all the screw holes on my door cards when putting them back on. I showed him the damage and he bought me a new set.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:22 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

So what does everyone think it will cost to fix this the right way?
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:42 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
So what does everyone think it will cost to fix this the right way?
I had a Prosche/MB body shop look at my truck for some body work and the prices were less then $1k to get some good size dents out of the front fender and repaint the whole fender. I need to take it to the Audi dealer here as they have experience with aluminum and were more then willing to take my money, I mean look at my truck.

I'd be curious to see if someone could remove the panel and bondo and maybe work out the dents and at least clean it up. It might not be cheap or perfect but some of these guys can really work some magic. I'm assuming the panel is in one piece under the bondo and that the jagged line is the bondo flaking away. I believe you can still get that corner piece for around $200. I think that's how much it costs for my D90 when I was looking for it.

Alex
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

On Lincoln Blvd south of the 10 freeway & before MDL, going south on the L hand side there are several old school LR body repair/restoration shops! Check them out.
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:10 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I know the places. I will look
thanks
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Shouldn't be too bad - in fact, not as much as $1200 to fix it right. It's easiest to just TIG in some new aluminum in that corner and give it a good respray. Definitely check out those Rover specific places - especially resto shops.

Semper Fi!
Old March 25th, 2009, 02:29 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Going to golden hammer at lunch for an estimate
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:01 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Pete's Marina Motors (I think that's the correct name) on Lincoln is the one that has all the Old Rovers. I think it's on Lincoln near California.

You can also check out AutoBahn in the South Bay. I believe LR South Bay uses them.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat