DC100 Scrapped? Back to the Drawing board? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 13th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The defender is unreplaceable. How many vehicle.s have survived since Ronsld Reagan was President, five different gas engines, eight Diesel engines, six. (?) stick shift boxes auto boxes, functioned across the world at high altitude and underground.

It is what it is. Keep in Production like the old coke. The next utility Land Rover can never match this one. But it needs to reach the markets where Wranglers Patrols and Land Cruisers dominate.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
The defender is unreplaceable. How many vehicle.s have survived since Ronsld Reagan was President, five different gas engines, eight Diesel engines, six. (?) stick shift boxes auto boxes, functioned across the world at high altitude and underground.
Land Cruiser. Toyota did it. They still do it. The 40 series begat the 70 series which is better than the 40 series and more popular. Its really not that hard. You just have to be fearless.
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:40 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Land Cruiser. Toyota did it. They still do it. The 40 series begat the 70 series which is better than the 40 series and more popular. Its really not that hard. You just have to be fearless.
I love the Landcruiser, but I think Rocky is talking about the fact that the Defender literally has not changed. The Landcruiser has been through 6 redesigns in the same time that the Defender has gone through...well..zero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I love the Landcruiser, but I think Rocky is talking about the fact that the Defender literally has not changed. The Landcruiser has been through 6 redesigns in the same time that the Defender has gone through...well..zero
This is true but isnt this the problem?
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:53 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Which is good. Makes Defenders excellent parts sources as Series parts dry up and Defender parts are a good upgrade path.

My 1960 Series II (not A) currently has Defender front outer wing panels, door tops, door seals, door hinges, door latches, windscreen wiper motor and Defender heated seats.

I can not think of another vehicle that you can do this with.

In my mind what makes the root model line successful for so long is:

1. The ultimate automotive tinker toy set. It is easily reconfigured and modified to fit the role almost any owner would want it to play.

2. It is easily field repairable with common hand tools

3. With bolt on body parts and aftermarket frames these trucks are infinitely rebuildable as long as parts are available. They are never worn out or broken to the point of going to the wrecker unless the owner chooses not to swap in new parts. You can not do that with unibody construction.

Tata can never truly replace the Defender unless the new version can be all three. The best they can do is supplement the Defender with something not as good at what the Defender does best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 13th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriAnn View Post
3. With bolt on body parts and aftermarket frames these trucks are infinitely rebuildable as long as parts are available. They are never worn out or broken to the point of going to the wrecker unless the owner chooses not to swap in new parts. You can not do that with unibody construction.
I think you hit the nail on the head right there. While many consumers see that as a bonus, the manufacturer see less units sold. With so many cars being sold as consumable items these days it is illogical for a manufacturer to keep producing models that will last generations. After market suppliers will continue to support our aging trucks but I highly doubt that Tata would want to ramp up production on wings and bonnets just because and old series truck needs some upgrades.
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpayne View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head right there. While many consumers see that as a bonus, the manufacturer see less units sold. With so many cars being sold as consumable items these days it is illogical for a manufacturer to keep producing models that will last generations. After market suppliers will continue to support our aging trucks but I highly doubt that Tata would want to ramp up production on wings and bonnets just because and old series truck needs some upgrades.
From what I was told, and this came from a conversation with someone at AB so its hearsay, Tata has already begun to reduce the amount of OEM parts available for D1s. I was looking for a new fuel tank for mine and AB at the time had one in stock and their supplier told them that there werent too many more coming down the pipe.

A manufacturer needs to move units, not parts (which often times are made by a supplier to them, not by them specifically). Spares are not what keep people in their jobs.

Toyota was very successful putting the 40 series of trucks, available in many different guises, to bed and working with the 70 series, again available in many different guises. LR is just going to have to suck it up, depart and put it out there. If the continue to put out a limited production run of the old truck alongside the new one and then gradually phase it out, that might keep some happy. Why can they not use the system on the LR4? Its got a frame and is more than capable (with steel springs) of handling what a person might want to do with something like the D100.
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerBT View Post
http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/life...wn-on-Defender

Anyone else heard this? I kinda liked this design
This interview, by Autocar.co.uk, with Gerry McGovern would seem to conflict with this report:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ser-production

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:47 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
From what I was told, and this came from a conversation with someone at AB so its hearsay, Tata has already begun to reduce the amount of OEM parts available for D1s.
Of course they have. It started during the Ford years. Any D1 specific factory parts are leftovers that still happen to be on the shelf.

The US government regulations (Nanny state regulations to some people) require that a manufacturer selling vehicles in the US to support the vehicle with replacement parts for a minimum of 10 years. Wanting to sell more new cars, most manufacturers selling into the US either manufacture or have contracts with their suppliers for enough spares to last 10 years. The 10 year estimate is never exact so some parts are available for a bit longer. 10 year factory parts support has become the de facto standard for most of the world.

The Land Rover root line was an exception to this and I suspect it was mainly because of military parts support contracts. When Rover was sold to BMW the company started discontinuing older parts not used in military or other government contracts. (Nanny states butting in again forcing better parts support for the LRs they purchase for the military).

Ford has a strict 10 year parts support policy following the minimum required by regulations so LR parts support decreased for older vehicles as government contracts expired. The MoD has disposed of the last of the SIII vehicles so Factory Series parts are rapidly drying up.

Tata is probably just following the same policy.

There are a lot of old LRs in the UK and a large parts support cottage industry sprung up to support them with parts LR had discontinued. But unfortunately the recession hit and most of these small UK companies ceased business. In the US if a company runs out of business the US government gives them a second chance to get it together in the form of a Chapter 11 reorganization. The UK doesn't have a Chapter 11. There, if you run out of money and can not pay debts you cease operations. At least you no longer go to debtors prison then become indentured servants any more. Anyway that's why the quality aftermarket parts support has dried up during the past few years.

If you are looking for a Land Rover and want maximum life parts support, probably the best thing to do is pick up an ex-MoD WOLF. And unlike the ex-MoD Series trucks the WOLFs are tougher than the civilian Defenders.

Old January 14th, 2013, 09:48 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Jeep really is doing great things,their trucks are still "cheap". I want a 4x4 that is more of a "truck" than a toy.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:08 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
To address Viggen's point, we already do have a redesigned Defender, just like the Landcruiser. It's called the Range Rover. It costs about the same as a Landcruiser too

The modern Landcruiser is an absurd vehicle. At $78,000, it sells less than 3000 units a year. A Suburban at $45,000 has more interior room and sells 45,000 units a year. Almost half the price and 15x more units sold.

If Land Rover wants to sell more Defenders, it has to sell them at a lower cost, while keeping quality the same or better.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:11 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willh View Post
This interview, by Autocar.co.uk, with Gerry McGovern would seem to conflict with this report:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ser-production
Article quote: He said: “A like-for-like replacement for the Defender would not be appropriate and wouldn’t be legal with safety legislation. We can still capture the essence of the past but in a modern way.”

Leaves me to wonder that the British military will be using in the future, a mixture of G-wagons & Humvees? It appears that Jaguar Land Rover is abandoning the military vehicle market.

Oh well after JLR closes the book on real Defenders I'll be able to tell folks that my Land Rover harkens back to the old days when Land Rovers were Land Rovers and lasted longer than 10-15 years.

Old January 14th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
To address Viggen's point, we already do have a redesigned Defender, just like the Landcruiser. It's called the Range Rover. It costs about the same as a Landcruiser too

The modern Landcruiser is an absurd vehicle. At $78,000, it sells less than 3000 units a year. A Suburban at $45,000 has more interior room and sells 45,000 units a year. Almost half the price and 15x more units sold.

If Land Rover wants to sell more Defenders, it has to sell them at a lower cost, while keeping quality the same or better.
Ill agree that the new LCs are ridiculous and bloated. They went way upmarket and removed themselves from the market. I do, however, contend that the difference between the Range Rover and the Land Cruiser is product placement. If more celebutards were seen getting in and out of the Cruisers, it might be a little different. Toyota has spent next to nothing advertising that thing.

What I mean by Cruiser is the 70 series which replaced the iconic 40 series. Rover could keep the cost down if they cut down the chassis of the LR4 and used it. Get the DC100, square it off a little bit and call it a day. If IFS/ IRS isnt acceptable, still use the LR4 chassis and engineer it to use the currently used axles. Its not ideal but it will reduce costs using readily available parts from the bin. Tata took the XF and XJ and just reverse engineered them to be AWD. Thats tough when the car and its floor pan were never meant to carry the extra weight and routing requirements of it. Figuring out a link front and rear suspension shouldnt be too tough.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:39 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Looks like even Gerry McGovern, head of design at Land Rover, has realized what a mistake the DC100 was.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/223036/n...ocks-designer/

The two most important paragraphs....

Quote:
“We’ve moved it on from [DC100], and I think we’ve got something now that is even more relevant and even more desirable, and even the traditionalists will love me for it.
and

Quote:
“We did a survey of the response to [DC100]. We got 250,000 respondents on the internet: 90 per cent of them loved it – pretty good – eight per cent were indifferent and two per cent wanted to kill me, and I was worried about that two per cent,” McGovern joked.
So maybe there is hope yet....
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:04 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Encouraging direction but not convinced just yet. The lingo these guys use concerns me. If I hear the term "lifestyle" one more time I'm gonna bloody flip... as they say. Unfortunately most car designers are stylists and have a tendency to get a bit overzealous with the decorative elements.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:53 AM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Maybe, but Ive never found dogs balls all that appealing.

-Jeff
I don't even want to know. I'll keep my Defender that smells like exhaust and oil leaks.

Read the last three paragraphs of the following article. As always, Edwards and McGovern are not on the same page, having given interviews with completely opposing views.

What's interesting is that now they've switched their position. McGovern thinks 'traditionalists' will love him, Edwards now says they're gonna move on regardless of our dislike of the direction.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013...seg_4=Outbrain

Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:13 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wondering if the DC100 was used as a brand media noise maker and cover for the lack of new product.
If fight it was DOA when when released.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:02 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Looks like even Gerry McGovern, head of design at Land Rover, has realized what a mistake the DC100 was.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/223036/n...ocks-designer/

The two most important paragraphs....

and

So maybe there is hope yet....
I really hope this pans out!!
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:07 AM
jvelador
Javier Velador
'95 D90 / '66 IIA

Yes, I know

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Agreed. The problem is they have stylists working on the design when engineers and product designers should. The first Land Rover wasn't designed. It was engineered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

Look at all the 'new defender' concepts that come out over the years. Thats what they have always been, a study in ridiculousness, that leave us crying for the 1958 design. Its pure genius.

-Jeff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, dc100, wing