Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 7th, 2013, 02:40 PM
New Guy
Jason
None

Daily Drive Advice

Hello all,
I am considering buying a late 80ís Defender 110 diesel (imported) as my daily drive and was hoping some of you would share you experiences and or voice you concerns on this.

I live in the north east and commute 24 miles each way, which are mostly non-highway. I would love to owe a Defender but am a total newbie when it comes to them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2013, 02:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
I would love to owe a Defender
If you would like to "owe" a Defender then you're already on the right track, mentally. They need upkeep, they need patience, they need money, but overall they need to be driven. If you are selling a reliable car to finance this purchase, then I would advise against it as your only vehicle if you depend on it for work. If it will be a second car that you would like to drive daily until it needs to be worked on, and you have another means of getting to work - i.e. another vehicle or mass transit - then go for it!

The best advice I can give you is to become familiar with the information available on this forum. The search function (and especially Advanced Search) work wonderfully here, and you can find out pretty much anything you'd want/need to know before purchasing your first Defender.

Best of luck!
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Someone else on here likened a Defender to a really high maintenance girl friend. You can never give them enough time, money or love. And you will always be thinking about it because when it is good it is great and when it is bad it sucks. With that said, I love mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
It will be cold in the winter, hot in the summer, loud, slow and you may smell a bit like diesel when you get out. If you're fine with those, go for it. I DD mine but do have a 2nd vehicle (that I'm looking to replace with a Disco) if something does arise. I live about a mile from my office so if anything comes up I can always walk or bike. Given that your commute is quite a bit longer you may want to consider a 2nd vehicle or some backup for getting to work.
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Any 25 year old car will not thrill to the daily grind of a commute. Its not like any modern car which only gets its hood opened ever 7500 miles for an oil change. You'll be mucking around with the Rover every weekend if you are lucky.

Any 25 year old Rover you might get will likely have that wonderful ambiance of , engine oil, 90 wt, and aging vinyl. Any dates need to have a sense of humor as a result. When confronted with the need for maintaining your Rover or paying the rent, the Rover always wins.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:17 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
An early diesel will be much more reliable than a later gas engine version. Do your homework though -any engine with 300k on it is going to need lots of work and an engine at the 100k mark is just about ready for some sort of overhaul..

Rust sucks but will rarely keep you from driving the truck. For example: rotten footwells or doors with no bottom frame left are common. Your truck doesn't care about these things and you will still get to work. So if you want to DD it then you shouldn't go taking the bulkhead out and do a frame swap "While i'm in there" Because then you can't drive it for a long time. Seems obvi but so many trucks get turned into full on restoration projects. Which is fine! But there needs to be some restraint in terms of needing everything perfect. It's a road going tractor afterall.

So be honest what you really want (A long term garage hog project? A true daily driver?) How much imperfection can you live with, and go find a truck that fits your desires.

No matter what it will be fun, and it will need regular basic attention.
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:18 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
If you like to wrench on the weekends then you'll be in haven. 80'-90's Defenders are just old technology and typically require a greater overall amount of time and personal committment to keep the on the road. 50 miles RT in a 80's Defender will be a tough formula.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
. I would love to owe a Defender but am a total newbie when it comes to them.
If you're not a mechanic before you buy a Defender/Land Rover, you will be after you buy one...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old October 7th, 2013, 04:06 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Back when I lived 20 miles away from the office, I would periodically drive my 109 to work. However I had a lot of highway. 20 miles goes by a lot faster at 60 mph than sitting at a stop light.

Overall, great to drive on a Friday when I really don't have anything going on and its an office day. Also great when its snowing. However the other 4~5 days out of the week, I'm driving my boring chevy sedan. It does things like work, be cheap, and comfortable. Oh and it has A/C and heater. Ok, not the latest and greatest but its a lot better than standing outside.

a TDI engine would be decent as it gets A LOT better mpg than a gasser and has more oomph than a normally aspirated diesel.
Old October 7th, 2013, 04:08 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
20 miles goes by a lot faster at 60 mph than sitting at a stop light.
60 mph? Was it downhill?
Old October 7th, 2013, 04:27 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
as my daily drive

I do not recommend this. NVH is harsh.

Old October 7th, 2013, 04:30 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
I'd daily drive my 90 if I had a/c. I'm not in a hurry most of the time.
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I personally would not consider an 80's gas version for a DD. Go turbocharged diesel or forget it. Plan to spend the money right upfront starting day 1 with getting the engine overhauled, all the hoses and filters replaced . Do NOT take the I'll replace it when it goes bad approach. You are only deceiving yourself. Many newbies to ownership think they are getting a certified 25 year old vehicle when it arrives, and then get upset when they are stranded because of some maintenance item like overheating or leaking drivetrain seals and hydraulics.

Join and attend a local land rover club event and talk to owners. they'll get in the weeds with you because that's all we ever want to talk about, at work, home or play.

Also, not sure if you are single or married. If you are married, make sure your wife knows the work that you must put into it upfront to make it a DD, and the total cost, not just initial purchase price. If you are single, make sure to take it on every date, and let the Rover choose the girl for you.

And finally, AAA Gold membership!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:51 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Buy a JK throw some spacers and 35" under it
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:01 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Buy my jku, I'm going back to the defender as my DD.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:01 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

If the above reminds you of an AA meeting, well, it is- all are addicts, and cannot/will not abstain.
My oldest daughter, now 23, tells the story of being put to sleep in the Defender 20 years ago by counting the rain drops- inside the brand new D-90!!
Great vehicles, horrible addiction, lousy fit/finish, HVAC a joke at best, and the best worst vehicle in the world!!
And the part above about letting the Rover pick the girl- spot on!! I picked my first wife, and the Defender chose the second- who is a very special woman!!

Old October 7th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Someone else on here likened a Defender to a really high maintenance girl friend. You can never give them enough time, money or love. And you will always be thinking about it because when it is good it is great and when it is bad it sucks. With that said, I love mine.
Sounds like dating a girl outside the gate at Camp Lejeune....
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I never dated any townie girls - they wouldn't have me.
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
New Guy it depends on what you import. Raub for example has driven his thousands of miles and his only real failure to date was due to an over tightened nut on his starter that a shop
did. Raub drove his truck home 800 miles yesterday, after wheeling it all weekend @ MAR, pretty much mechanically just as it came off the boat.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old October 7th, 2013, 08:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I DD my NAS D90 for a number of years. If you have AC and are a rover whisperer it will be fine. Note I said you must be a rover whisperer. You need to know the truck inside and out backwards and forwards and be able to tell what is broken, what is about to break, and how to fix it. I have swapped ECUs on the side of the road, I keep silver relays around like candy, and can swap an alternator in 20min. My whole defender ownership of over a decade I have been on a flatbed TWICE and that was because I did not have duct tape to fix a hose that blew and the other time in an 84 110 when the failing water pump finally gave out (knew it was bad, thought it would make it across the country, only made it to near Denver). Both were entirely preventable. Now I have a newer a VW tdi with a warranty and the D90 sees 1000 miles a year.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
advice