Daily Drive Advice - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 9th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Cameron Bell
1984 Defender 90, 1988 Defender 110
Daily driver

I have an '84 LandRover 90 as my daily driver. I had a lot of concerns before purchasing it, but in the end my obsession voided reason. It is what it is, my 90 is a year older then I am. On a day to day basis I drive from 10 to 30 mile range. After driving my Landy for about a year and a half the only problem I had to fix was the clutch about one month in. Maybe I'm just lucky but I don't ever spend a weekend repairing something on it. That being said, I spend time on maintenance and don't push it to hard. I live in Texas so in the summer I just run it with the doors off which stays nice as long as you're moving sixty.

These are good questions to ask, but in the end if you love Defenders you will learn to love what goes into them. This forum is not the place to find reassuring messages on why they are great daily drivers, because their not when compared to a more modern vehicle. I don't mind being a little hot in the summer and a little cold in the winter, and I love driving mine everyday with no regrets.

In Africa they say a Land Rover will get you anywhere, they just don't know how you're getting back...

Old October 9th, 2013, 09:44 AM
86 110
Originally Posted by FSU_Disco View Post
I'm not sure how you can drive it with those sealed closed. Opening them makes it so much more comfortable to drive around town, especially if the weather doesn't permit opening the windows
I know, right. Having the vents I don't even need air conditioning.

Old October 9th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Am I spelling it incorrectly or are you? I could have sworn it's spelled Tithonus? The spelling may help him when he's searching.
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
correctly spelling something on this site will hinder his ability to get results ...
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
I have no idea how to pronounce it and rarely spell it right But I think it is Tithonus. Sometimes I throw in another "h" or two to be safe.
It comes from Greek mythology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithonus Hard to spell, hard to say, lets just call it a Tit. More than one, Tits.

Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
sheisters gonna sheist
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90
Man all of this talk of daily driving makes me want to daily drive mine. Anyone want to paint my 90 and install A/C in it? I'll trade a high miles LR3. ;-)
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:04 AM
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II
I drive my NAS D110 every day and my backup is my 1961 Series. Take the plunge everyone....
Old October 9th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
Originally Posted by Yudda View Post
I have been daily driving my 110 for a couple of years.

I have a standard 1997 ROW 300tdi w/ 120,000kms.

As of two years ago my daily commute is around 35miles and because of our horrendous, 3rd world traffic it can take up to an 1-1.5 hours in each direction. Mostly highway driving.

Yes i have A/C but even that is not entirely necessary... the front ports do a great job, as tested last summer.

I have only been stuck once...battery finally gave out...and the starters solenoid
stayed engaged. Quick yank start and I was on my way home.

So can you DD a defender ?...SURE.. most defenders in the world are used everyday just like F150's back home. Remember though my truck is a 16 year old vehicle...and i spend alot of time and money maintaining it so it can be driven daily.

Bottom line... my 300tdi is adequate for day to day highway use.... anything less power wise, and I would not want to be on the highway. For city and around town...they all will work...In a Defender no expects you to be quick.

Anyway, I would heed the above advice and I have to admit,
a AAA Gold membership would be comforting to have.
AAA Gold is awesome! I drive my 110 in manhattan, no yellow cab wants to fuck with me.
Old October 9th, 2013, 05:35 PM
I've often wondered if I was the only crazy who uses my defender as a DD. I also have AAA well worth the money although I have not needed it yet.
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team
Daily driver since purchase 4 years ago.
Land Rovers. A loosely associated collection of parts, generally traveling in the same direction.
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:11 PM
1987 Defender 110 5-door
I don't want to hijack the guy's thread, but you asked about my sealed vents & the answer is somewhat relevant to his question. I sealed the vents as an experiment in making it quieter & less leaky & because I needed room for the evaporator. I don't know if the experiment worked, but there are times when I have to meet a client, it's 105 degrees with 100% humidity, & I need to get out of the truck smelling, well as good as I can smell, so on those days I can still take the Defender.
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:11 PM
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Originally Posted by New Guy View Post
Daddymow, budget is around $25k, looking for something that is in decent shape mechanically w/ no major rust problems. I do not care too much about cosmetic issues.
Johns90, I am quickly finding out that a backup vehicle is a must. I will take you up on your offer at some point. On a side note, I grew up in Ridgefield & graduated in 89, maybe we have some mutual friends.
My friend just bought an excellent 200tdi 90 with minimal rust issues for just under $14k and i drove it 300 miles and other then a few Land Rover quirks it in my opinion would have no issue being a daily driver for 15-20k miles a year. What you need to expect is about once every month or couple of weeks, something random and minor will go wrong, like the headlights just going out, or a piece of window trim flying off in maryland on i95.

With a couple weeks or months of searching, depending on your luck, you should be able to find a strong running, Defender that will fit your needs. You will likely be limited to an 84-87 that are already here with a 200tdi swapped into it as you can't import a truck with a 200tdi anymore until 1990 when the 200tdi was released in the defender. I would suggest you be open to a RHD truck as they will be cheaper and easier to find than an imported LHD truck.

And yes Josh is right, i was not around in 89, so i doubt we would know many of the same people, but if you want some insight on what to buy, what to look for, or whatever else just let me know. PM me if you want to meet up.

Also, why is the taco a POS?
Old October 10th, 2013, 11:48 AM
New Guy
Actually the 01 Taco in not a POS, my wife thinks it is, if I put on a new exhaust, replace the bumpers and fix a few minor things it would be very respectable. The only reason I am looking for another vehicle is b/c I have 3 kids and need extra seating.

Thanks again for all of the useful advice.
Old October 10th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Jason Bullis
1986 110, 1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 L
I drive my 110 everyday. I had your same concern when looking and trying to decide if it could be driven daily. I purchased mine as a toy, and now has become my daily driver. My first trip was across the country when I picked it up. I have put in dynamat and carpet to quietness it down, and cut the heat down for my kids. I am currently upgrading my seats to exmoor, I love the vehicle and you should too....
Old October 10th, 2013, 12:13 PM
1993 NAS D110
These trucks are perfect for everyday driving !
Old October 10th, 2013, 01:03 PM
1985 110 200 Tdi

I just purchased an '85 110 CSW 2.5 NA diesel that is currently on the water from Holland. After just selling my '95 90 in July, it didnt take long for the jones to set in for a replacement. I plan on using this as my daily, once it arrives, and though it is in rougher shape than my 90, I cant wait to begin using it and working on it. I'll keep you posted on the arrival and experience.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat