Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 10th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
Dad of the year

I love this guy! Watch the whole thing! GUNS ARE INVOLVED!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
love it. I have a 17yr old son and a 15yr old daughter.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
That is one disappointed dad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2012, 10:49 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Love it! I am sure a few shitty parents are offended, as it hurts the self-confidence of his fragile daughter expressing herself.

Old February 11th, 2012, 11:35 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I think I can understand his point, but to me this guy seems totally cracked.

Just out of curiosity, for those of y'all with daughters...does it seriously get this bad?
Old February 11th, 2012, 12:02 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
He went to college while in high school? How do you do that??

Seems they have a failure to communicate. Perhaps they should try talking fact to face? Haha.
Old February 11th, 2012, 12:07 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
I think this guy is a bit off his rocker--- gee, Cletus, I dont know why your daughter ran away from home at 17 and joined the adult film industry.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old February 11th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I love this! I had all three of my kids watch it and totally agree with how wrong the BS attitudes teenages have most of the time. One of my dogmas is teach/train your own before a judge has to, then its too late!

Most of the time it's all learned behavior...it takes alot to raise children, it's not easy for the kids or parents. You have to stay focused. This guy was on an emotional high thats for sure. I think most of us on this site grew up in a time when you were hit rather then talked to and that was acceptable. Mine are 13, 14, and 15 and I can count on one hand how many times I've actually swatted them in anyway. It can be very challenging under the best of circumstances!
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post

Just out of curiosity, for those of y'all with daughters...does it seriously get this bad?

I will have to let you know in another 12+ years.
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I will know I am old when I am at roaches drinking (legally) with Doug and his kids.
Old February 11th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post

No, it gets much worse. She's only 15 going on 16. Wonder what he will be shooting next year.
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:48 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Reminds me of a line from a SubHumAns song: Of parents who used to rebel just the same as we do now so who gets the blame? Didn't he say he moved out of his house when he was 15?

I remember being pissed at my parents and vice-versa. My outlet then was to ride bikes, skate, or listen to punk rock (funny they are my outlets now in a way). Kids today have it easier in some ways but pretty tough in others. In the age of FB and multimedia, your actions are documented, and kids don't understand the consequences. She wanted to vent and posted something to her friends.

And here he is himself venting on YouTube. Granted he is trying to make a point but like Josh said maybe they should talk face to face. And to be honest smoking a cig and firing a weapon destroying property are far from roll model moves - maybe he has some self assessing to do himself.

But what the hell do I know, my oldest is 12 and I've heard the teenage years are hard and makes the changing diapers and no sleep at night a walk in the park. Who know, I might have a different tune in a few more years and be posting my own Youtube vids like this guy.
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Oldest here is 19 yr old stepdaughter who had to learn a lot of this the hard way (blew off junior and senior year in HS, posted a video of her and a friend drinking at 17 on FB, etc). I don't think many teens understand the consequences of their actions, whether from this generation or any other. With Facebook, everything is documented and put out there for the world to see including all our family. Technology just documents the fact that we are all idiots to some degree when we are teens.

The cure? Instead of going to college, she spent 7 months working just under full time retail for minimum wage and being low gal on the totem pole and catching every night, holiday and weekend shift. Big time change in attitude staring a few years of that in the face. With a lot of effort, we managed to find a college that would accept her and offered a pretty stringent academic mentoring program (2-3 meetings per week with mentor and 1 with academic advisor). Amazingly, we now have a solid A/B student again with a lot less drama.

I would guess that this guy has had the endless discussions already with his daughter. Pretty damn funny stuff.
Old February 12th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I will know I am old when I am at roaches drinking (legally) with Doug and his kids.
Think Roach Obrians will still be there ?

FWIW while we all pulled some humor from this guys antics/frustrations, the video clip goes against everything I have tried to impart to my two kids about fire arms-ie don't ever pick them up or use them in anger. Both of my kids shoot regularly. My 15yr old daughter is actually pretty good with a 12 gauge shooting clays.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
I am an expert at bad parenting as I have made plenty of mistakes over the last 17 1/2 years in the business. But I also know a thing or two about raising children that are respectful, hard working and want to excel. I have three kids a boy 17, and Girls 15 and 15. I won't say this guy is a bad parent but this video is a mistake and will not make things better at home.

Shooting towards a road, destruction of property and not dealing directly with the person you have a problem with only makes the problem worse and sets a bad example. He never address that she is venting about other things like the fact that she is doing the gardening alone. That is something that should be done together as a family.

Parenting is about creating strong bonds, those bonds are easiest to create when a child is very young. Laying down the rules and STICKING to them is important. Start making your kids work early (two or three) but work with them and NEVER let them work harder than you. Instill in them the idea that failing and being lazy are not an option.

For those of you with young ones get at them now or teenage years will be tough!!!!!! If you come close to doing it right the teen age years are really a joy and a blessing! I love every minute that I get with my children, and am thankful that all three still love being at home.

OUR PARENTING RULES:

1. We eat supper together almost every night. No matter how late we have to wait for everyone to get home.
Plus, Don't come to the table with out something to say or contribute. There will be a test as to what you learned that day.

2. Do you best, ALWAYS (Once made a daughter cry because she got a 100 on a test and I was furious with her......... She did not do the extra credit.)

3. Starting at about 4 years old when they can start reasoning, Count to three. If you get to three they are getting spanked! No matter where you are or even if at three they started doing what they were suppose to do. AND NO 2 1/2's AND NO SLOW COUNTING!!!

4.Give them LOVE always and praise when they deserve it, but never too much. You want them to learn and have burned in their brain a desire to keep trying to do better.

5.Speak the truth.

OFF MY BOX.
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Dredd
Harlan Boone

Father of the year

That was my parents way of dealing with my rebellion back in the 70's and 80's - destroy something important to me to make a 'point', it worked in the short term, but in the long run it made me a very angry young adult with no respect for other peoples property.
End result, jail for assult and destruction of private property (go figure), lots of years learning lessons the hard way, and complete self-inflicted isolation from my blood relatives.
I heard my dad died a couple years back, I wasn't there.

If that father is lucky, his little trouble maker will just end up a slut.
HB

Wish people wouldn't post shit like that on this site. Isn't that what Facebook's for?
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:30 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I think its funny, but I bet the kids on facebook are going to be TE-TE-TE-TEARING apart his angry stutter.
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:13 PM
slangel
Staci V
2000 DII. Death by fallen tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post
I am an expert at bad parenting as I have made plenty of mistakes over the last 17 1/2 years in the business. But I also know a thing or two about raising children that are respectful, hard working and want to excel. I have three kids a boy 17, and Girls 15 and 15. I won't say this guy is a bad parent but this video is a mistake and will not make things better at home.

Shooting towards a road, destruction of property and not dealing directly with the person you have a problem with only makes the problem worse and sets a bad example. He never address that she is venting about other things like the fact that she is doing the gardening alone. That is something that should be done together as a family.

Parenting is about creating strong bonds, those bonds are easiest to create when a child is very young. Laying down the rules and STICKING to them is important. Start making your kids work early (two or three) but work with them and NEVER let them work harder than you. Instill in them the idea that failing and being lazy are not an option.

For those of you with young ones get at them now or teenage years will be tough!!!!!! If you come close to doing it right the teen age years are really a joy and a blessing! I love every minute that I get with my children, and am thankful that all three still love being at home.

OUR PARENTING RULES:

1. We eat supper together almost every night. No matter how late we have to wait for everyone to get home.
Plus, Don't come to the table with out something to say or contribute. There will be a test as to what you learned that day.

2. Do you best, ALWAYS (Once made a daughter cry because she got a 100 on a test and I was furious with her......... She did not do the extra credit.)

3. Starting at about 4 years old when they can start reasoning, Count to three. If you get to three they are getting spanked! No matter where you are or even if at three they started doing what they were suppose to do. AND NO 2 1/2's AND NO SLOW COUNTING!!!

4.Give them LOVE always and praise when they deserve it, but never too much. You want them to learn and have burned in their brain a desire to keep trying to do better.

5.Speak the truth.

OFF MY BOX.

Well said and your kiddos are extremely well mannered, which is a rarity anymore for their age group. We are rather strict in this household, and Cvc is dreading the day when Abbi begins to date, but my goal with my children is to raise respectful, productive human beings who contribute positively to society. We are constantly told how well behaved the kids are, but in the next breath being told we are too strict. They are by no means perfect but they put their best forward every day.
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:25 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Read somewhere that the brain has not fully developed the ability to comprehend consequences until late in your teens or early 20s....not sure it is true...but sure would explain a lot of the dumb shit I did...

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS