Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 30th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

D90 versus JEEP

Hi,

Wanted some thoughts here.

I have a 1995 D90 that I am in love with. I am the original owner. A little over 100k miles. I have never had it in a garage - don't think that will ever happen. So cosmetically it is not perfect. But I have stayed on top of any rust, and mechanical issues. It is running great. We have fun with it. Christmas lights on it ever year. Snacks on the roof. Mild off-roading, Etc.

I have a family of 5 now. Two sons (8,6) and a daughter (17 mo.). We can get 4 in the Defender, and I often take the boys out. It is their favorite car. But I could not take all 5 (unless I modified it like some of the threads I have seen on this site).

-------------------

Primary car is a 2012 Subaru Outback - Manual. Love it. Great car for what it is. Can get over 30 MPG easy on a trip. 3 kids sit across the middle. We can fit all our cargo in the back. Some modern features Awesome in the snow.

-------------------

So I am not going to do anything for a few years.

But when the time comes I have been thinking about the JEEP WRANGLER UNLIMITED. I have a great friend that has one that loves it. By the time I do something, it might be the only BIG vehicle sold in Manual in the USA. AND - my friend says that the next Wrangler redesign is thought by the Jeep group to finally get the diesel.

-------------------

If that existed I could get the Wrangler Unlimited, manual, Diesel. And there are three seats across the back of the Unlimited. So no problem taking the family out.

I could then have the reliability and newness of my Subaru, combined with the awesomeness of the Defender.

-------------------

So the question is, would the Defender still have a place in my life???

Selling it (which would break my heart) and selling the Outback could probably pay for quite a bit of the Jeep. And I don't see ever getting the Defender indoors, so it will keep slowly cosmetically get worse.

But I love it - so should I plan to keep both?

Just wanted to know if anyone else have been through this practical, yet emotional, decision

FLAGG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Actually the Jeep config you are talking about is where many would love to go. Although we are all holding our collective breath's for the next Defender due to be available in the USA
Old August 30th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Pik1968
Andy
1985 90 LHD

Can't put a price on love. Keep the Rover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2015, 03:36 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Turn the 90 into a 110/130

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old August 30th, 2015, 03:43 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
The Jeep is superior to the Defender in every way... that being said, the Defender has quirky uniqueness about it that most of us love.
Old August 30th, 2015, 03:44 PM
javelinadave
-
-

After I sold my NAS 90 I purchased a TJ Rubicon. It drove nicer, was more reliable as a DD and parts were never an issue. Offroad I broke parts and snapped things that I never worried about breaking on my 90. I now drive an 87 Defender.
***Your milage may vary and other restrictions may apply.***
Old August 30th, 2015, 03:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Get one of these and buy yourself a few years until you can get this stupid Jeep idea out of your head and secure the 110 which you have negligently not planned for!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 30th, 2015, 03:50 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Get a D1 or RRC. It will still be a Rover and will have a soul, and you'll get your 3 across bench seat in the back.
Old August 30th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

I actually have never been in a Jeep Wrangler until a good friend of mine decided he wanted one earlier this year and took me shopping with him. We looked at some used ones because he didn't really want to spend that much on one, but we found the used ones were overpriced and also the TJ was too cramped (no arm room) and the early JK had a kinda weak minivan engine and a fairly poor quality interior. So then I coerced him into looking at a brand new “loss leader” at the Jeep dealership which was priced lower than a lot of the used ones. It was basic with a soft top, a manual gearbox, and steel wheels, but it had A/C and more lux standard features than any Defender has. So he got it and he loves it! I have to say I do as well. It’s a really nice vehicle. Very fun to drive. Good power. Nice interior. I really love the Sunrider soft top you can fold back like a sunroof. And it gets great mpg. Over 20. I’m sure the diesel would get even better.

He has since tweaked it to his liking; adding alloy wheels (new take offs), better headlamps, a new sound system, a backup camera, step running boards, tow hitch and wiring. Then the ultimate accessory he got for it was a new class A diesel pusher to pull it with. But of course that can’t go everywhere so he got a pop up camping trailer for it too.

He got the regular 2 door, but the Unlimited has a better towing capacity and with kids I think that’d be great. I’m sure you could get enough for the D90 to fully pay for the Jeep too. But don’t part with it if you love it. Maybe sell the Subaru first, and decide if you want to keep the D90 after you’ve had the Jeep for awhile.
Old August 30th, 2015, 04:11 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Not following.

You want to sell a dedicated off-road vehicle like a D90 and a nice, comfortable family car that is basically divorce prevention, and replace them both with one car that you'll never be able to off-road anywhere that a minivan couldn't go because you need to get to work on Monday, too small for a family of 5 and their junk, and has worse gas mileage than a Ford F150?

Help us a little with your logic...

Keep the D90 and buy a minivan?
Old August 30th, 2015, 04:25 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
You know you'll be sorry if you sell it. What we all collectively have are high doses of love and irrationality.

Defenders we keep. Jeeps are disposable.

110?
Old August 30th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
D1 SE7 like this one on eBay. Land Rover Discovery SE7 | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Disco SE7.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	128362  
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Flagg,
You should make the exact same post on a Jeep forum. Then you'll have a more scientific pool of responses.
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Only an original owner vehicle once. You are nuts to sell.
Old August 30th, 2015, 06:23 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Only an original owner vehicle once. You are nuts to sell.
That's why I'm hanging on to my Disco 1. Even though it is just a Disco.
Old August 30th, 2015, 07:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't see the conundrum... Keep the D90, all other variables can change, but at first blush, sell the subi and get the jeep.
Old August 30th, 2015, 07:47 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Buy my wrangler unlimited (2015) in the flea market, I'll take the 90 as trade ... I'm going back to daily driving my 90...

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old August 30th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

He can get a brand new one for less than that though. Here's one nearby with a stick shift for $28k. But I see them advertised in the paper at dealers around here for like $24k all the time. Also sign up for the Costco auto program at costcoauto.com beforehand and after your purchase they'll send you a coupon for like 50% off parts and you can get something like new side steps or a tow package. Make sure the dealer you buy from though is part of the program. You don't actually have to buy it at the Costco price, because the dealer's price might be lower.
Old August 30th, 2015, 10:31 PM
doktorno
Chris deZ.
1995 Defender SW

Registry
Two drivers in the household, and two vehicles comprised of the Sube and the D90?

You would regret selling your D90. As agricultural as they are they have a real charm. Your kids will never forget the D90, and it is fun for school drop-offs and trips.

I do not understand the Unlimited's mission. Dimensions are similar to mid-sized BOF SUVs, and as kids haulers they suck, plus you have three kids. At that size and price I would go for a 4Runner, but even that is tight for three kids.

Sadly, I would go for a Sienna or reliable kid hauler. Kids, carpools, kids have friends, road trips... It is just a daily driver appliance. Tint the windows so you can hide if you wish, but you will not regret. A 2014 Sienna LE 4WD was $30k out the door.
Old August 30th, 2015, 10:32 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

With three kids, who ain't going to get any smaller, I'd say you're going to be visiting your local Fiatjeepchrysler dealer but not for a Wrangler (redesign due in three years) but a minivan in place of the Sube.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90