D90 versus JEEP - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 31st, 2015, 04:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You have some rear crossmember rust that was repaired, right? She sat outside so the paint is probably tired. Why not stretch it to a 110?

A take off 110 rear body, the 110 galvanized chassis and the associated parts/paint/labor will be expensive, but it won't be terrible and then you will have your five seater for the family.
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2015, 05:17 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
None except that they tend to be driven by complete imbeciles, at least in my experience.
Subarus are nice. But they are driven by the same crowd that drives Prius and Civic Hybrids. Basically, the new millennium hippie.

We had an 04 Civic Hybrid. I was able to squeeze 41 MPG out of it. My girlfriend only got 32 out of it because she didn't understand the proper way to drive it.
Old August 31st, 2015, 06:13 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Subarus are nice. But they are driven by the same crowd that drives Prius and Civic Hybrids. Basically, the new millennium hippie.
That makes me a new millennium hippie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2015, 06:47 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
That makes me a new millennium hippie
Or a lesbian :-)

From the Urban Dictionary:

lezbaru
Subaru Outback wagon - due in part to Subaru specifically targeting lesbians in their advertising.

"We drove the lezbaru to the Michigan Women's Music Festival. "
Old August 31st, 2015, 07:10 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I work with a lesbian that drives a Dodge Challenger and wants to up it to a Hellcat.
She had a jeep before.
Old August 31st, 2015, 07:13 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
You have some rear crossmember rust that was repaired, right? She sat outside so the paint is probably tired. Why not stretch it to a 110?

A take off 110 rear body, the 110 galvanized chassis and the associated parts/paint/labor will be expensive, but it won't be terrible and then you will have your five seater for the family.
Normally I would say sell the D90 and just buy a D110 but if you are the original buyer and the vehicle has special meaning to you I would do what Evilfij says above.
Old August 31st, 2015, 09:40 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
We never considered selling my D90 when the little one was born. We ended up buying an LR3 from a board member a few years ago and love it! Is a great highway cruiser @23mpg, quiet and safe.
Don't sell...the D90 is your other child with 4 wheels...

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 31st, 2015, 10:02 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
sorry to say but the current subaru fb25 engine is a fucking pile of shit, you think the late rover 4.6 was problematic couple that pos with a cvt, ill take an r380 with a worn output and slipped liners any day over a new subaru i know because i have both keep the d90 unload the subaru and get the LWB JK
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:15 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

OK. When the Subaru Outback needs to be replaced, I will look for something else as a daily driver. BUT It seems that everyone is dead set on me keeping my D90! That will be my direction.

I must have had a lapse in judgment to even start this thread. Thanks for setting me back strait.

---------------------------

So I am surprised that everyone is so down on Subaru. I never owned one before - nor did anyone in my family, or my wife's. But when we start looking for a car, the Outback met our needs. I am a 'car guy' and I did not buy right away. I asked around, I talked to people in parking lots, or gas stations that I saw had a new or old Subaru. Everyone loved their car.

There were 4 families on the street that I lived on that had (2) Subarus. Several others that had (1). We talked then all - several of them had had more Subarus in the past.

So we bough our 2012 Subaru Outback. Then we liked it so much after a year - that we bought another. They are identical - except my wife's has some more features and is automatic. Mine is simpler and Manual. They are both going on 4 year old. Not a single problem with either of them.

I am amazed at the mileage I get on trips - I can easily break 30 MPG - fully loaded. If I drive with nothing but conservation on my mind I can creep up near 35. Which is a BIG cruising range with a 18.5 gallon tank. And cool that it is a boxer engine to keep the center of gravity lower

The AWD seems AMAZING. Some of the World Rally Championship technology you figure must filter down into the car. It is a fantastic snow car. And if I put real snow tires on it, it would be even better. Somewhere on this site is a post I made about getting my wife to the hospital while she was in labor, during a huge snow storm in the middle of the night. Like a story from a movie………

There is a Subaru Outback web site - that has a community of people that is as helpful and active as this one. I am on that site too as FLAGG.

So is Subaru that bad???? I admit I only have personal experience with this ONE model? Is it going to be a nightmare to own down the road??? I just did not think I was headed in that direction with all the people I talked to before purchasing?????

FLAGG
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:31 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
If you have not had any issues with either, you're fine. They will probably last 250 to 300k miles.
Decent resale value.
Recommended by Consumer Reports.
I've not heard anything bad.
Old August 31st, 2015, 11:52 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Subaru makes a good car maybe not as reliable as a Toyota or Honda but not by much.

Great awd system, great resale value and in the case of mine it is pretty peppy and fun to drive.
Old September 1st, 2015, 12:05 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I know the kids like to make rice racers out those boxer engines. They like the Mitsubishi evos also.

I have great respect for what some of those cars can dish out.

But in the end, they may be able to go fast. But we can go anywhere.
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:03 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Sube are everywhere in New England. With good reason. Pretty reliable pretty affordable and AWD.
That said last time I test drove one was 1994 and I ended up getting my D1 instead.
The outback remains on the list of potential buys for the next car to add to the fleet. But I think my MIL's old Volvo might become the next buy. 2002 s80 Volvo with 25k on it.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 1st, 2015, 06:01 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
the new series of engines have been plauged with oil consumption and ring failures, class action lawsuit against subaru currently. ive got a '14 that i have to add oil too its just rolled past 10k supposedly they had rectified the oil consumption issues that is not the case the previous generation of the engine is great other than some headgasket issues in the early 2000's. my sister and several coworkers have mid 2000's subarus and they have been trouble free. i wont get started on the CVT that drones away like a lt230 thats low on gear oil.

id like to find a clean low mileage 08 or 09 outback wagon but i recon thats like finding a range rover with no rust . sorry to stary off course.

keep the defender, if you sale it you will be wanting another. to concur with what has also been said for the money a LWB JK costs youre in lr4 territory
Old September 1st, 2015, 07:33 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Nothing wrong with Subaru. They were very, very small cars until ten years ago when they turned the forester into an SUV and the outback into a jacked wagon.

IMHO they are a pain to work on and I would rather have a straight four banger for an economy car, but that's only because I do my own work.

Why are you saying that we are all down on Subaru?
Old September 1st, 2015, 07:44 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Hi,

Post #34, #39, and #48 up above made me think there were a lot of people against Subaru. I have ONLY had experience with my (2) 2012 Outbacks for the last 3-4 years. I was trying to get educated.

But I guess all are not against Subaru

---------------------------

OK - BACK ON TOPIC. My new thinking, which I guess should have always been my way of thinking, is to keep the D90!

FLAGG
Old September 1st, 2015, 08:36 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Shall we close this thread? Our work is done here.
Old September 1st, 2015, 09:04 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
BUT It seems that everyone is dead set on me keeping my D90! That will be my direction.

I must have had a lapse in judgment to even start this thread. Thanks for setting me back strait.

FLAGG
Honestly, what did you expect asking that question here? We are all a bit *cough* Biased. I'm sure if asked on a Jeep forum (as another poster suggested), you'd get a totally different set of answers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
So is Subaru that bad???? I admit I only have personal experience with this ONE model? Is it going to be a nightmare to own down the road??? I just did not think I was headed in that direction with all the people I talked to before purchasing?????

FLAGG
No, not in my experience or opinion anyway. Like any manufacturer, sometimes design changes cause teething problems. Subaru's are good cars overall, maintain them and they will last you a long time. Plenty of 200, even 300,000+ mile owners over on subaruoutback.org

Hold onto the 2014 manual, last of the breed, I was to see they dropped the manual option for 2015, its bad enough you couldn't get it in the higher end versions, or with the H6, but now you can't get it in an Outback at all..

*EDIT* PS - Here is your answer, have Saltine4Lyfe get you the contact info..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90