D90 versus JEEP - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 31st, 2015, 12:47 AM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

I have had 2 discos and a Jeep Wrangler, now my ninety. Loved the discos IIs, but they were junk. Loved the jeep, it was awesome in the spring and fall. I wouldn't trade my ninety for all of them together at once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2015, 06:11 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

I just returned from a 6,100 mile road trip to Colorado and Utah... exactly how many D90s did I see? ONE. How many purpose built Jeep Unlimiteds did I see on Engineer Pass alone? Too many to count.

In Ohio, there was a constant stream of flat beds stacked with long wheelbase chassis heading toward Toledo...

The fact of the matter is Jeep is the only manufacturer to put out a soft-topped 4WD manual transmissioned widget in our marketplace. And they can't keep up with demand. If they actually follow through with the diesel option, it can only mean that the last stragglers will cave and buy in.

Flagg - congrats on having three youngsters and for wanting to raise them in a topless environment. That you still have your 90 shows you've maintained a relationship longer than many marriages. Since you're thinking years out, I might suggest that you consider the one constant theme that this thread has returned to: regret if you sell. There's little debate to that. If you have the means, hold onto it and add the Jeep to the fleet. If not, hold onto it and buy an '07 Unlimited - aside from the motor and the seats (more comfortable and optioned with side airbags), they're virtually identical to new but can be had around $12,000.00.
Old August 31st, 2015, 07:46 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I got a new Unlimited Sahara when they first came out in '07. It was my daily while the 90 came out on weekends to play. I felt kinda weird owning both, but would never sell the 90, but needed more practicality. Used the JK for daily drives, and road trips. Really liked it more than I wanted to. Ended up selling because I needed a truck, but now it's time for something new for my wife and all she wants is another Wrangler. They check off a lot of boxes that no other new vehicle on the market offers...
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2015, 07:52 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Actually, you have to sell it. Because which one of your 3 kids are you going to leave it to when you pass? The other two will resent the one who gets the D90 in the will thus sparking litigation, hard feelings and family infighting for years to come. Think about it.
Old August 31st, 2015, 08:04 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

WOW, THANKS!

IT has been less than a day, and I check back and have 22 replies. Let me try to answer a few things:

1) I don't do any serious off roading (at least for many years), so I am not worried about things "falling off" the Jeep. I think the basic Jeep would more than suit my needs. The Defender is overkill.

2) My wife ALSO has a 2012 Subaru Outback. They are great cars - they totally work for us right now. Maybe not, as the kids grow up. But for now we love them. So if one of us gets a bigger car, or better vacation car, or the MINIVAN - it can be her I just need something longterm that could hold (5) as my daily driver. I am into cars, and always looking down the road…...

3) I plan to hold the Outback for several more years. Then one of my big concerns is that I love manual transmission so much - and there may be nothing big enough for my family still made! Subaru dropped the Manual on the Outback for 2015 (still have it on the Forester and some other models, but I think they will be dropped soon). But my friend has been convincing me how cool his Wrangler Unlimited is - and he says there is NO WAY that Jeep is going to drop that model anytime soon.

4) So I got it in my head that the Jeep might be a cool vehicle……..

5) You are right about the kids loving and remembering the Defender. We do the X-mas lights every year. They climb on top of the roof rack. It is the only car that they have ever ridden in the front seat in (no airbags). They love going places, or being dropped off at school, etc. They call it FENDER - and even gave me that Personal plate as a gift. They talk about FENDER all the time. Etc, Etc, Etc.

6) I am an original owner - and do love the truck! Hard to put a price on that, as people say!

------------------------------------------------------

FENDER has made it 20 years sitting outside, and all things considered does not look THAT bad. It leaks when it rains, but I wipe it out I stay on top of any rust that appears. I have GARY LANDES (some local MD people will know his reputation with Rovers) go over it routinely, oil up the chassis, etc. Sooner or later I will have to address issues such as the rubber around the windows. But I guess FENDER could keep surviving outside for a long time.

Right?

---------------------------------------------------

SOUND LIKE my thoughts should be this:

1) Stay with the D90 and Outback for as long as that combo works. I am happy with that.

2) When the Outback needs to be replaced - see what is available in Manual on the Market that can hold 5 for local drives. Maybe a Subaru product. Maybe a Jeep Unliminted Diesel. Maybe a VW Sportwagon Diesel. Etc.

3) Keep the D90 as long as I can

RIGHT? Thanks everyone!

FLAGG
Old August 31st, 2015, 08:53 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Don't forget the book for your youngest one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-883439964.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	128382  
Old August 31st, 2015, 08:55 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

a little added thought..

1) the kids love the defender, i took them to school today and they were all saying it was their favorite, i didn't as them either it was spontaneous.
2) i would not get another jeep (i've had 2 now), buy a 4 runner or another toyota truck product.

but your plan looks right on, keep the 90 and trade the other stuff out.

if you truely need another car, just ADD a Discovery for $4,000 (or less) and keep them both.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old August 31st, 2015, 09:42 AM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

LR3.

In stock form, the LR3 is going to be very capable off road (dare I say, comparable in terms of off road capability to a JKU minus the tire factor). The big issue comes with modifications. You can do A LOT to a JKU quicker and easier than an LR3. So if you want to go all brotacular, then the JKU is perfect. If you want a great daily driver that works great in low range, then the LR3 is great.

The LR3 will whoop the JKU in all things on the pavement. Also the LR3 (with the V8) can probably tow your D90 with ease. So there is that.

Also the LR4 > LR3. So if you start throwing around JKU money ($30-50k) then a good used off lease LR4 comes into play. Which brings more awesome to the table.

On that note, the big daddy RRs are legit too. I've seen a L322 cruise around Uwharrie in the dry. Completely awesome seeing all the dudes in their JKUs stand at the top of the hill climb on Dutch John, talking about how difficult it is. Then see a stock 2010 RR cruise through with a kid in the car seat in the back giggling his little kid face off.
Old August 31st, 2015, 09:55 AM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
D1 SE7 like this one on eBay. Land Rover Discovery SE7 | eBay
That looks familiar.....
Old August 31st, 2015, 10:36 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
On that note, the big daddy RRs are legit too. I've seen a L322 cruise around Uwharrie in the dry. Completely awesome seeing all the dudes in their JKUs stand at the top of the hill climb on Dutch John, talking about how difficult it is. Then see a stock 2010 RR cruise through with a kid in the car seat in the back giggling his little kid face off.
I have a couple friends with LR3s tackling Daniel. Last spring when the first ledge of Daniel was leveled I saw a stock LR3 make it up.

My wife and I just had our first baby so we went the minivan..........errr LR3 route. I love the truck. Its nice have a rover that cruises, merges into traffic, holds everything i can load it with and not blow nice A/C at me all day. We got a deal on ours as well.

I've never seen the point of a minivan. The only argument I hear is about the sliding door. Big whoop.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old August 31st, 2015, 12:06 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
I've heard that Wrangler unlimited reliability is rated quite low. You might check into that.

How about either converting your Ninety into a 110/130 (as has been suggested) or just swapping it for a 110 SW? You could even buy a RHD & have it converted. As the 3 kids get bigger & need more stuff & have friends tag along you'll need the extra capacity. Plus if there is overlap you can transfer parts over. You won't face the depreciation you would on a Jeep & you can get whatever diesel engine you want (can afford) plus it'll be a stick. The kids will love it!

Plus if you just sell the 90, you'll miss us!
Old August 31st, 2015, 12:13 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
I've never seen the point of a minivan. The only argument I hear is about the sliding door. Big whoop.
Having just recently had one kid is probably the reason
Old August 31st, 2015, 12:16 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
My buddys on his third 4-door wrangler. He's got two little girls and two dogs and they load that thing up (using a tow hitch swing away rack) and drive 4+ hours out to MTK for 5 day vacations.. Its a good machine. feels a little dinky next to a D, yes, but its a good vehicle.. So yeah, you won't regret getting one.

But above all -do not let go of that Defender!!!!

~Steev
Old August 31st, 2015, 12:41 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Nobody should admit to owning, let alone driving, a Subaru.
Jeeps are like Harleys. Straight off the lot they are useless. You have to drop another 10-20% of the purchase price on upgrades and accessories that make it driveable.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 31st, 2015, 01:00 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Nobody should admit to owning, let alone driving, a Subaru. Jeeps are like Harleys. Straight off the lot they are useless. You have to drop another 10-20% of the purchase price on upgrades and accessories that make it driveable.
Plus Jeeps are everywhere. You want to stand out in a crowd or look the same. Stay the 90.
Old August 31st, 2015, 01:33 PM
dendrite
John
97/D90 #147

Registry
One thing to consider on a JK/JKU is access from the rear. I have/had a JKR and I hate the way you have to access stuff in "the trunk". It's even less tolerable if you have a bike rack. It's one of the main reasons I wanted a D90, just swing open the door and load, unload, that simple. Plus having the 4 fold up seats is just icing on the cake. It's almost impossible to get in the back seat of a JK. I just removed to seat and stashed it in the garage. This wouldn't be applicable on a JKU, but thought it sb mentioned.

That said, the Jeep (2013 and up) has a really good drivetrain, is quiet (too much so for an off-roader), and versatile. I liked mine save for the access issue.
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:00 PM
Cajun
G
1987 110

My wife drives a JKUR. I just installed front and rear bumpers on it this weekend. It's been a great rig for 5hr trips back and forth to see family. I agree with the additional 20% to make it what you want.
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:52 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pik1968 View Post
Can't put a price on love. Keep the Rover.
Another vote for Keep the Defender, and I'll add... Find a place to store it indoors if you can, it will really extend the life of so much of it. Garages can be rented, and could be cheaper in the long run than the repairs resulting from it sitting in the weather with only casual use..

Maybe keep an eye out for a really nice ROW 110 (LHD or RHD pick your poison) to replace the older Outback with and be your daily driver somewhere in the future. But budget for rollover protection (my 2 cents)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Nobody should admit to owning, let alone driving, a Subaru.
Why? Subaru makes a good car, with great all weather capabilities. Personal hang up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:59 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Why? Subaru makes a good car, with great all weather capabilities. Personal hang up?
None except that they tend to be driven by complete imbeciles, at least in my experience.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:46 PM
quick968
Mikey
97 Defender 90

Speaking from bitter experience. Keep the D90. I sold my 94 for $25k and thought I was making a killing, except I recently saw it for sale again for $50k. I purchased my first D110 from LR Alexandria for $28k, fixed all the rust, and sold it 3 years later for $40k, again thinking I had made a killing, until I saw it selling from Copley a while ago for something north of $100k. The Defender is an APPRECIATING asset, slowly but surely going up in value every year. The Wrangler is a DEPRECIATING asset, dropping in value every year. There's really no decision to make. If your stuck on gas mileage, convert to an LS and get your 20mpg. But keep the D90, your kids will thank you.

Best
Mikey

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90