d90 prices - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 20th, 2005, 11:49 AM
steved90
steven melnyk

d90 prices

are people really getting the high prices they ask for on autotrader, and those types of sites for d90's?
i am thinking about selling mine and of course i would like to get as much as i could for it. i want to buy something older and not as nice, i don't feel like i can do what i want to do with the one i have. wish i would have just bought one that was more abused. sounds wierd but i baby the one i have, and i didn't want one that needs to be babyd...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2005, 11:59 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

This has been a recent long debate... If you do a search in this great forum of ours you'll find plenty of information, and I'm sure other D90 owners will chime in....

You could start here:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...t=bubble+burst

So you wanna buy another one that's beat up so you could bring it 'up to condition' ?
Or another vehicle, such as a rusty FJ40 ? (no offense to Land Cruiser owners... I freakin' love them... I'm just saying and trying to understand Mr. Steve's dilemma).
It's the 'babyd' thing that I'm not sure of... I mean yeah... it's tempermental at times... but there's not many vehicles you can literally beat the $HiT out of and come out the other side of the jungle with it still in one piece.

Nicholas Orros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:05 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

i just want one that i don't worry about what happens to it or how many miles i put on it, or upgrades that i want. like now i seem to worry about when and how many miles and scratches ya know. just something i can go wheeling in and not care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved90
i just want one that i don't worry about what happens to it or how many miles i put on it, or upgrades that i want. like now i seem to worry about when and how many miles and scratches ya know. just something i can go wheeling in and not care.
I'm kind of doing the exact opposite. I'm looking for an older Rangie Classic to use as a driver so I can use the 90 for more rough stuff. Right now I have to treat it too nice because I know I'll have to drive it to work on Monday.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:12 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

The question is what you will get vs these online dealers.
Nicholas has it right - prices seems way up there BUT. High prices seems to be (again primarily and yes excemptions rule) for the 1997 with low milage and not an off roader. Prices seems to target $30k+ for the '95 - 97 and $20- $25k for the 1994.
HOWEVER there are a number of vehicles with prices in that price range, and just south of it that are not selling. Do the car site search and look historically on D90. Ebay, cars.com, autotrader, do a straight search on google. Your D90 is worth what YOU can get someone to pay for it! Do not get starry eyed by "Copley fever" (I am trademarking that term). I would love to know the Copley buyer profile. Copley is a great shop, great people, but what the f*%# is it with the pricing?? Power to'um though.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:21 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

mine has low miles (in my opinion) 42000 to be exact. and to me it is worth a lot! but i just hate the way i treat it in my own head ya know? i am stary eyed about getting a high price for it. i will admit that. and i would love to keep it, and can if i want but i can not afford to have two d's so i would rather have one that i want to use and abuse all the time. i have all ready had some nice offers one it but not any that i am willing to say "sold" to, and all the offers have been unsolicited. i don't have it listed for sale anywhere. mostly people stopping me when i take it out. have had 4 offers this spring all over 30k, but thats not enough for the heartbreak i will feel when she leaves down my drive way for the last time with someone else driving it how doesn't know where the key goes.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
With Copely, people with dough pay a premium to buy from a guy who knows what he's selling. God bless 'em. Rep=price.

Individuals can never carry a reputation in the same way, so they'll never reliably get top dollar.

I'd be curious to hear of any private sellers that have gotten more than 32k for a Defender 90 in a private party transaction.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:32 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

i'd like to that too!!
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:37 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yeah, I'm semi-sort-of in the same boat in a way... BUT I'm waiting, saving, paying off the rest of my current SW, and making headway for an ARLES BLUE (hopefully Mike's ) <just kidding> Soft-Top. I think a lot of people on here want 2, and everyone probably could, it's just saving and waiting...

Actually a gentleman in the FLRC, John Bradford emailed me with pics of his 'newer' D90 SW, that is the spitting image of his current SW... He is doing the same thing!! (I think I pissed him off because I told him 'variety is the spice of life' get an ST... lol... Sorry John!! I was just kidding).

I've gotten offers to, but I wouldn't sell mine, even for more than 40k... I'm just sick though... or sickened... haha...

and I'm just as curious as Jim as to whether private seller's have had that kind of cash thrown at them in a sale...

just my 2 bits...

Nicholas

p.s. scratches build character...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
p.s. scratches build character...
And if you build if from scratch, not only will it have character, you'll feel more like the scratches it does get are adding to its character instead of detracting from its value.

What you can't see in pictures of my truck is the South Carolina sunburned paint, the places its been hit by bastards' errant shopping carts, and the places that fools have doored the running boars (ha ha!). It is not a trailer queen by any means, but I'm no hard-core rock crawler or mud monger. That Jeff guy at RN who has like 450k miles on his series II is my hero. I want to be that guy.

On topic content - my recommendation is drive it daily to let it age gracefully into high-mileage - at least 1) you're the one driving the value out of it 2) you are aware of the trucks full history and 3) it becomes and old friend like a dog, a leather coat, or pair of jeans.

Bottom line - dont sell, drive. a lot.
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:54 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
And if you build if from scratch, not only will it have character, you'll feel more like the scratches it does get are adding to its character instead of detracting from its value.

On topic content - my recommendation is drive it daily to let it age gracefully into high-mileage - at least 1) you're the one driving the value out of it 2) you are aware of the trucks full history and 3) it becomes and old friend like a dog, a leather coat, or pair of jeans.

Bottom line - dont sell, drive. a lot.

WOW... I couldn't have said that better myself... This should be entitled 'The Defender Creed' or at least the signup sheet to become a member of THE D90 SOURCE !!!

Nicholas

Old May 20th, 2005, 02:21 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Well said Jim!

I agree! I figure, "stuff" is here to make your life good. Your life is worth a lot more than "stuff". D90 is stuff, and you got one. You like it. Drive the $h|t out of it!! Let it give up its "life" to make yours more enjoyable, memorable, and fuller. I drive mine everywhere. when it breaks, I'll fix it. If it gets too old, I'll restore it. My dog loves it, my friends make fun of it, and well, it just does it for me, uncomfortable, quirky and all.

Drive it buddy, you only get one time around this dirt ball, make it count!

-arbi
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:29 PM
steved90
steven melnyk

well guys, i agree i should drive it everyday. but the thing is i put 140 miles a day on my daily driver!! and that wold just kill me to put uesless hiway miles on my baby...
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:00 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Man, Let me get on the train of saying, "I couldn't have said it better myself" then say something more.

Thing is, why sell it if you know you want to get a truck that you can beat the crap out of and keep for basically ever? You already have that truck, we all do, and that's what makes them great. If you don't plan on selling your new truck, then why should you sell this one to get it, rather than making this truck your wheelin' vehicle. You can't reduce the value if you don't find a buyer. I mean, if you want one with the value run out of it and a bunch of scratches and a few dings I'll trade you mine. It's got a ton of miles (117K and going) a few scratches, a tree scuff, rust in the usual places (except the frame...for now), needs work (you can do yourself, I plan on it), etc.

Of course, I promised the guy I bought mine from if I ever got rid of it I'd have to call him first. You'd have to make me the same promise but...

Either way, it's your truck, do what you want with it, and if you feel like you can't do what you want with the one you have then you should get one you can do what you want with. If you don't, then all that "stuff" that makes your life better makes your life not better because you stress on it and can't have fun with it.

Still, nothing like driving with the top off on a nice day and smelling the trees or ocean or whatever around you as you drive.

Follow up: I put 140 miles a day on mine when I drive it to work too and they're the best 140 miles I drive that day...
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I bought my D-90 with 39,000 miles on it and in perfect condition. I had the same concerns in the beginning - I'm in sales and drive about 30K miles per year. I kept a second car at first, but everyday I went out to get in my car i wanted to drive the D-90. So i sold the second car and just started driving the D-90 everywhere. A year and 3 months later I have 75,000 miles on it, a bunch of scratches and various mods.

Drive it! Drive it! Drive it! - you only live once.
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Kerr
Shawn

Steve i understand how you feel. but if you look at it differently from a moeny stand point you still spend the same. say you D90 will bring $30k. you sale it for 30K. then you buy one for 20K and start fixing all the little problems. before you know it your back close to what you got for you old one.

also it seem from years of watching these for sale. they bring all the money in good shape or in "bad" shape.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Jim, you are making my eyes leak as bad as my Rovers!!
Shawn has a valid point. I think you might be chasing your tail here.
Steve, what are you tring to save? Miles, money, paint! What? Anything you do to your Rover can be fixed!
When I bought my 110 I thought the same thing. Allbeit, my 110 has low miles, they are mostly offroad miles. As much as I love my Rovers I play hard BUT I am in my 40's [now] & I drive a little different than when I was running Broncos.
Play hard & smart don't look back![you may hit a tree] Have fun live life & enjoy your truck! It will still be around for your grand kids to learn how to wheel in! After all that is what matters pass the tourch!
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
defender.

i was just at copley, nice blk d90, expensive and he only give a $400 discount over a 35k price, bastard, but a nice salesperson

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90