D90 owners network/ collective? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 4th, 2006, 04:55 AM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

D90 owners network/ collective?

So I have two and a half months to kill in early 2007, and I was thinking that I`d like to do a roadtrip starting in San Francisco, and head out to Boston to visit some friends, and then up to Alaska just to see it, and then back to San Francisco. It occured to me though while reading Mikes write up about his experiences this past new years that, maybe it would make sense to make sort of a collective network of D90 owners/ shops throughout the US and Canada that are willing to offer any help or support. I know for one that should a fellow D90 owner need help around my home town, I`d be more than happy to offer anything I could in the way of help, info about shops, a couch to crash on, a cold beer, etc.

So what I was thinking was maybe we could set up a site or even just a recurring post on this board, and anyone who would be willing could submit their contact info, or info about any shops in their area? Any thoughts on this? Any ideas? Maybe something like this already exists? Does this even make sense? Any input would be awesome.

By the way.... If anyone else wants to make a trip up to Alaska around Jan/ Feb, from any part of the US, let me know. It might make things safer/ more interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Sounds like you have quite a journey planned--I would recommend trying to go to Alaska from San Francisco in lieu of Boston--as well as going in the summer, not winter. Winter could be nice if you are wanting to do prolonged tests of driving lights and heater systems as well as seeing how fast a short wheelbase vehicle can spin on snow and ice! AK is an amazing place--I would just recommend going when it can be best appreciated. As for traveling in a group to AK, that is well advised any time of the year. If you want to head up that direction in the winter, I might suggest Whistler in Canada and bring your board or stix. If you are just up for the adventure, why not head down the Baja coast or, if time, somewhere in S. America? I just think you will find AK to be rather white, dark and cold that time of year with about 8 or 9 hours of daylight. When I ice climbed there in May a few years back, we got something like 19hours of daylight. AK is worth going to, I just would not go Dec-Feb.

As for the idea of a Rover Network, I think that is a great idea. I know there are a lot of Colorado'ians that would participate. We also have a lot of Rover specialized shops. I would help give what information I have...

Great luck on your adventure, though! Most all the trails will be closed out in CO, but Moab will be open for business!
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:04 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Since there are frequent requests for shops in ______, perhaps we should add a section listing member recommended shops, searchable by City, State or Zip. Has this been proposed before?

Was it just proposed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2006, 03:37 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
AK is worth going to, I just would not go Dec-Feb.
For some reason I`d really like to see Alaska in the winter. No clue why, but I have wanted to for a long time. I guess it`s the masochist in me. I`m planning on doing Central America probably June-July of next year.
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Right on---just don't forget to go back in the summer/spring--it is an amazing piece of country!
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:07 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
For some reason I`d really like to see Alaska in the winter. No clue why, but I have wanted to for a long time. I guess it`s the masochist in me. I`m planning on doing Central America probably June-July of next year.
You should definitely read this book. Very entertaining as well as informative.

Quick summary: Tim Cahill and a professional adventure racer set the world record (23.5 days) for driving from Tierra Del Fuego at the bottom of South America to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Hilarity ensues.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Peter
Peter
1997 D90

We could put something together like the BMW MOA Anonymous book.
Old September 7th, 2006, 02:12 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
They have done just that here: http://www.bushducks.com/search/search.asp

Eric
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Hillbilly Raider
MANDY STRINGER
Tombraider90

Wont be of any helpwith this thread, but if you guys are ever in the UK you are always welcome at mine.
Mandy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90