D90 or rock buggy or D90 rock buggy? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

D90 or rock buggy or D90 rock buggy?

You guys have seen the decade long progress of my defender, and I thought it may never come to this but I am contemplating selling it to buy a dedicated rock buggy. Have a look at the poll I posted and give me some feedback...this thread may wind up in the "for sale" section or at least some parts that I will be discarding for possible revision 5.0.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=661229

Tis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2008, 01:51 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Man Tis, what Witt gonna do if you sell that thing? He'll be heartbroken!

This kinda relates to a conversation I had with a guy one time. When I was building my defender, a guy with a Ferrari 348 Challenge would come by every now and then to check my progress - just out of interest. We'd talk cars, he loved my Alfa GTV, and had had one at some point in the past. After driving the Ferrari one day, and being suitably smitten, I mentioned that it sure would be cool to have one someday. He said something to the effect of "don't do it, this stuff becomes like an arms race, the Ferrari costs 10 times as much, costs lots more to maintain, and you are left being sentimental for the days when your cars were more simple and more fun."

Of course he didnt offer to trade me the 348 for the GTV to satisfy that longing, but I see the point. The bigger/better/faster/more thing is easy to get caught up in. One of the coolest things about your truck is that it still looks like a defender, so please dont chop it up. And I think you'll regret selling it once you get tired of the rock buggy. So my vote is, if you must do something, just build something from scratch.

Follow-up Post:

Oh, if you sell your truck, whoever gets it will be stealing it - so you'd better like them a lot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
I like the comment in the Pirate link, about "once you lose the body and get over 40" tires, 75% of trails become easy and hence boring" Not sure if its 100% true, but its a good point.

Keep one more Defender alive. Either just stretch it out a bit, or sell it and scratch build something. don't buggy-fy it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2008, 08:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I say keep the D90 and build a cheap buggy. The options are unlimited when you can just pick and choose components. Start with an old rangie or jeep or zuk or something.

If I had a tow rig and trailer (and somewhere to keep them), I'd build a buggy. Building it would be half the fun!
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would have to say, build a buggy. Don't sell the 90. You know what you are after, right? You are itching to keep building--that is the sweet spot for you. So go do that. I built a 68 convertible firebird. Lovely car. Sold it. regretted it. Built a 90. Love the 90. And am keeping the 90--why? 'cause lesson learned. I should NEVER have sold the Firebird. I just wanted to keep building...didn't realize I could do both... Find a way. Be the master. ;-)
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Don't sell the creature.

(plus it's white!like mine! )
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Make it a d100.
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:02 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Man Tis, what Witt gonna do if you sell that thing? He'll be heartbroken!

This kinda relates to a conversation I had with a guy one time. When I was building my defender, a guy with a Ferrari 348 Challenge would come by every now and then to check my progress - just out of interest. We'd talk cars, he loved my Alfa GTV, and had had one at some point in the past. After driving the Ferrari one day, and being suitably smitten, I mentioned that it sure would be cool to have one someday. He said something to the effect of "don't do it, this stuff becomes like an arms race, the Ferrari costs 10 times as much, costs lots more to maintain, and you are left being sentimental for the days when your cars were more simple and more fun."

Of course he didnt offer to trade me the 348 for the GTV to satisfy that longing, but I see the point. The bigger/better/faster/more thing is easy to get caught up in. One of the coolest things about your truck is that it still looks like a defender, so please dont chop it up. And I think you'll regret selling it once you get tired of the rock buggy. So my vote is, if you must do something, just build something from scratch.

Follow-up Post:

Oh, if you sell your truck, whoever gets it will be stealing it - so you'd better like them a lot!
Jim-

As usual you are right on, the main reason I have loved wheeling the defender on the trails I do is because it does still look like one and it can go places many people believe it can't. It never fails, at the Chili Challenge I just got back from, there were several people standing around the trailer when we pulled up talking about how the last time they saw a land rover it couldn't do this or that and wasn't trail worthy. I listened with amusement as I hear this comment regularly. The satisfying part was when we were on the trail on an obstacle I cruised up first try and the same guy came up to me saying he meant no disrespect after his flailing attempt with rear steer in a highly modded rig got him nowhere. We talked and joked, but I always get a kick out of that sort of thing.

I am hung on the sentimental thing too...don't worry about Whitt; when the 110 finally shows up I think he'll be smitten with that.
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:26 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh, the 110 isnt there yet? Then you may as well just put all your plans aside and get ready to bump money into the 110. I just spent 3 grand on a brake job. Sux being overseas...

Old March 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

Jeff,
Are you sure that is an 88 tub? or a 109/110 tub sectioned down to 88 length? It appears that there is more length between the door and the rear wheel opening than a stock 88/90 tub.
Old March 8th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

do you have a higher res pic you can email me?
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Tis - you could always start hacking together a project like the 100 inch hybrid in "A 4x4 is Born" - but obviously without the scorpion racing produts. You don't even need a title to run it like you run the white one.

Hell, migrate the white one back to stock and start doing something more wild with another!

Old March 12th, 2008, 01:15 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Tis - you could always start hacking together a project like the 100 inch hybrid in "A 4x4 is Born" - but obviously without the scorpion racing produts. You don't even need a title to run it like you run the white one.

Hell, migrate the white one back to stock and start doing something more wild with another!
All of the memories of the places I've been in the white one, plus it seems like you either got a good one or didn't and this is a good one.

I've been following that 88" on 40s thread, those rear corners look like what I'm after. Maybe some of those challenge fenders tubed up higher in the front?
Old March 12th, 2008, 01:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteD90
I've been following that 88" on 40s thread, those rear corners look like what I'm after. Maybe some of those challenge fenders tubed up higher in the front?
I know man, and I'd hate to see you slice those fenders! That's why I'm back over here suggesting other options! Definitely got with the challenge fenders before you cut, but what about those rears?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90