D90 long haul OTR - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 4th, 2008, 11:20 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Seattle to Palm Springs. Longest leg from Southern Oregon to Buttonwillow, CA. Approx 16 hours. California is one long state to drive from top to bottom...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

So far, just six hours non-stop; however, I'm heading out to Columbia, SC from Portland on Sunday so I will let you know.

Actually, tweleve hours. I forgot about another trip I had taken a few years back.
Old June 4th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
Denver to LA and Back, Denver to SLC and back, Denver to Chicago and on the way back towed a boat. Denver to Santa FE and on the way back towed a trailer with a lawn tractor and various tractor parts. You have to stop every 3 hours to get gas, so you get time to stretch your legs. On the way back from Chicago my wife read a Harry Potter book out loud. She was plenty hoarse after that excursion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Cool you guys have a lot of faith in these things, not that I dont there is always that thought in my head will I make it? I spent about 6 hours behind the wheel on the interstate, its not to bad other than the hot feet in the summer.

DJ hope you have an uneventful trip out east, we need to get together and make a run out to Uwharrie or up to Caney Fork.
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Noah
Noah
95 D90 TDI

Maine to that other coast and back again! I'm never going to do it again with anything resembling a mud tire though... WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP...
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Nevada Trophy: 9 hour+ drive to get there on a Thursday, 15 hour+, each day for two days competition in the saddle with no only short breaks (meals on the run) on both Friday and Saturday and then a 9 hour drive back to L.A. on Sunday. Have done this 4 times now and will go again this September. http://www.offroadexperience.com/nvtr08info.htm

DW
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:46 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Cool you guys have a lot of faith in these things, not that I dont there is always that thought in my head will I make it? I spent about 6 hours behind the wheel on the interstate, its not to bad other than the hot feet in the summer.
Don't get me wrong, I either check the Rover myself or have my mechanic give it clean bill of health. I've choosen the later for my next trip.

Quote:
DJ hope you have an uneventful trip out east, we need to get together and make a run out to Uwharrie or up to Caney Fork.
Sure. I've left the "organized" Rover community for the obvious reasons, but day or camping trips with another Defender would be great.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Nevada Trophy: 9 hour+ drive to get there on a Thursday, 15 hour+, each day for two days competition in the saddle with no only short breaks (meals on the run) on both Friday and Saturday and then a 9 hour drive back to L.A. on Sunday. Have done this 4 times now and will go again this September. http://www.offroadexperience.com/nvtr08info.htm

DW
Doug,

Does your son still have his LE? I haven't seen him post in quite some time.
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

DJ,

Yes, Wicks still has the LE. Busy times here -- we work together and our business has been sucking up all our time. But we'll run the NVTR together in Sept.

DW
Old June 13th, 2008, 05:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
DJ you make it yet.
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

I'm in Louisville. I just installed a new fan clutch and should be in Columbia either tomorrow or this Sunday.
Old June 13th, 2008, 09:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
godspeed.
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Tampa FL to CO and back 2-3x
Tampa FL to MT and back 2x
Tampa FL to UT and back 3x

But the longest (worst on my back) was FL to Rapid City SD in 48 hours almost non stop. Even slept in the truck! Then to WY, MT, ID, UT, NV, AZ, UT, CO, TX and back to FL. (yes I couldnt walk when I got to SD)

That trip convinced me to put in a Steelhorse Superseat and made all the difference in the world!

I will never trailer it, loses all the purpose of having something different, plus my trips wander as you can see.
It never broke down even once. The headlights decided to stop working on a dark highway, in the rain, at 2 am, when I had little sleep.... but who needs lights? ;-)
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:59 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Just got home from UT, WY, MT, ID, UT, CO, NM, and back to Beaumont, TX. (in that order) No problems at all. Last leg was Silverton, CO to Beaumont, TX 25 hours straight....I am dying, but I made it all the way....only stop to fill up, wife grabbed food while I filled up. My 6 year old daughter slept about half of the time, but was awake for at least 12 hrs of this marathon. Just got home 45 minutes ago....going to hit the bed.
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:06 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Last week I spent 10 hours on the road and in the dirt. Drove from Los Angeles to the Saline Valley by way of several side roads. Temps ranged from 80 to 124 degrees. I have no AC but did use a swamp cooler from www.swampy.net That made all the difference. Made driving in the 120 degree heat tolerable. The truck had no issues.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive my truck anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saline08 034.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	14050  
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:13 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I drove from Telluride CO to Park City UT once, in my ST without the top on, in the middle of the night in early May. On the way down, temps were in the high 90's in Moab. While in Telluride, a cold front came through. It snowed on me. On the drive back, temps got down to ~20F. I put on every article of clothing that I had, including OR mittens, but it was still the coldest, most miserable drive I've ever done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90