Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 13th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Gummernaut
Gummy
1995/D90

D90 insurance

Defender Source Family,

I have a question about vehicle insurance for my completely restored 1995 D90.

What is the best type of coverage for my now classic truck that I use as a daily driver?
I don't want USAA to tell me that I'm going to get the Bluebook value for my vehicle if something ever happens to it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2017, 04:32 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummernaut View Post
Defender Source Family, I have a question about vehicle insurance for my completely restored 1995 D90. What is the best type of coverage for my now classic truck that I use as a daily driver? I don't want USAA to tell me that I'm going to get the Bluebook value for my vehicle if something ever happens to it. Thanks
Please search... honestly I'm sick of seeing this question
Old May 13th, 2017, 05:13 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

When searching, use the google search bar at the top.
I find it typically returns more useful results.
I did agreed upon value with progressive and have been happy with the outcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Factoid
Mark
Three criminals seeking revenge

Registry
You can do agreed value with USAA. They use a third party, but it is a competitive rate with USAA service.
2015 MB CLS63
1975 Porsche 911 hot rod
1964 Porsche (Beck) 904
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:20 PM
DiscoDavis
C Davis
1990 110, 1995 Disco

The search function is hit or miss. I had to use google and 'defendersource' 'insurance' etc.

Yes USAA will try and shaft you with the Actual Cash Value line... some have had success with the third party/agreed value option but they told me flat out no when I asked... Your mileage may vary.

Some collectors insurances will cover it but with very bad mileage restrictions, no off road use etc.
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Chowbird
Tim
'84 D90

State Farm stated value. No prob.

(When I told him the stated value, his response was "no way, really...what kind of truck is this?"

I told him to do a little research... Now he wants one)
Old May 14th, 2017, 02:28 PM
uc4me
Kevin
1997 D90 Wagon

Registry
One long thread among others is 'Agreed Value Insurance'. It has plenty of info to chew on.

Regarding State Farm..they will NOT insure your defender properly especially if it's a NAS. Again 'Stated Value' can revert back to book value at the insurers discretion. You should be looking at 'Agreed Value'. I currently have SFarm for one of my defenders (switching to Safeco Agreed Value to get it on the proper policy) and had a little battle with the agents who are only an intermediary with the corporate underwriters. I had to educate them on the Defender and supply plenty of support as they kept referencing Discoveries.

I finally received a call back from a State Farm underwriter and he explained to me as they have a 'classic car' program they cannot write the Agreed Value for my Defender nor will it qualify for the 'classic car' program, among other reasons, because they want "to keep the integrity of the classic car program intact" Basically they don't want to write for a higher valued NAS Defender. They said while they value me as a long time customer-- i should be looking for another option to cover my D90 NAS properly. Straight talk was appreciated.
Old June 7th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Gummernaut
Gummy
1995/D90

There is a lot of inaccurate or outdate info on this topic. If you want to actually drive your vehicle I have yet to find an insurer. So far I've been in touch with AllState (Haggerty) and USAA (Classic Car). The classic car companies only want you to drive it to shows so that's out. USAA & AllState won't do Actual Cost. Anyone else have any recommendations?

Thanks
Old June 7th, 2017, 02:41 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummernaut View Post
They is a lot of inaccurate or outdate info on this topic. If you want to actually drive your vehicle I have yet to find an insurer. So far I've been in touch with AllState (Haggerty) and USAA (Classic Car). The classic car companies only want you to drive it to shows so that's out. USAA & AllState won't do Actual Cost. Anyone else have any recommendations?

Thanks
My SafeCo policy is agreed value, no mileage restriction, no garage restriction, and pretty cheap.
Old June 7th, 2017, 02:57 PM
DiscoDavis
C Davis
1990 110, 1995 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 View Post
My SafeCo policy is agreed value, no mileage restriction, no garage restriction, and pretty cheap.
what do they say about off road?
Old June 7th, 2017, 03:06 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDavis View Post
what do they say about off road?
Not sure.
Old June 7th, 2017, 03:59 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Only reason I have insurance is because it's required by the state.
I have been buying it since the mid '80's and have yet to file a claim. It's scam living off of YOUR fear.
If you're a decent attentive driver and keep your vehicle in good condition, I consider insurance nothing but a sinkhole for cash. They make money off of you because you're afraid something "might" happen.
Same with home owners, if you own your home outright and are careful with your behavior, nothing but a scam and they are always wanting to increase the value of your home so they can raise your rates.
For me usually about every 6 years I change insurers because a better rate is usually available somewhere else.
Old June 7th, 2017, 09:24 PM
RoverNY
Darrell
1987 Defender 90 ex-MOD

Registry
Just weighing in here….I am an Insurance Agent and a Defender owner…..I have helped out a few of our members with questions specific to this topic….There are two “loss settlement” options available to personal auto insurance and/or collector car insurance customers….they are “Stated Value” settlement and “Agreed Value” settlement.
“Stated Value” settlement as the name indicated is the value that is stated by the customer to the insurance carrier/company. This option is typically “capped” to that limit “at the time of loss”and also typically includes a depreciation calculation. Conversely, “Agreed Value” settlement is the value of a vehicle “at the time of loss” and includes provisions for restoration/modification. This option typically does not include a depreciation calculation. Both options are subject to a deductible.
IMHO….I would not insure a vehicle that I value at a “Stated Value” settlement, because I would not receive the full amount for the vehicle with the inclusion of restoration. Our vehicles are becoming rarer and examples “of like kind and quality” to what we own currently are in very short supply…
Please PM me is you have any specific questions/concerns that I can help you with….
Old June 7th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Billy
Mark Egner
1997 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viton View Post
Only reason I have insurance is because it's required by the state.
I have been buying it since the mid '80's and have yet to file a claim. It's scam living off of YOUR fear.
If you're a decent attentive driver and keep your vehicle in good condition, I consider insurance nothing but a sinkhole for cash. They make money off of you because you're afraid something "might" happen.
Same with home owners, if you own your home outright and are careful with your behavior, nothing but a scam and they are always wanting to increase the value of your home so they can raise your rates.
For me usually about every 6 years I change insurers because a better rate is usually available somewhere else.
The state only requires you to purchase minimum liability insurance on cars which is fairly cheap. You should cancel the physical damage and make sure you have state minimum limits. Get rid of the homeowners insurance too. The Red Cross will bring blankets for you if anything ever did happen, so you'll be all set.
Old June 7th, 2017, 10:53 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the out-of-line prices of our beloved NAS's once they are 25 years old and then the ROW units can be brought in at a fraction of the price. It must be the remarkable fit 'n finish, interior & exterior, that makes them command such a price.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90, insurance