D90 had to get towed :( - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:45 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

D90 had to get towed :(

She blew the hose from the intake to the heater pipe. Tried topping her up on the side of the road (with fresca) but I could not find the leak because it ruptured on the bottom of the hose out of view.

Oh well, spare from the donor 110 motor (which looked relatively new) went on as soon as she got off the roll back and the brief overheat does not seem to have hurt her. *knock on woodtrim*

Check those hoses now that the weather is hotter. I need to order them all in duplicate. A nice tip is to rub the inside of the new hose with gojo or goop and it will slide on easier as the intake side is tough to get to with the distributor in the way.

Ron
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Where was your duct tape Ron?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
This is the only failure Ive had on my Classic so far.
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:24 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
You got towed for a blown hose? I'm dissapointed! Bah, who am I kidding, that's why we have AAA :D
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I'm disappointed too. I once repaired a radiator hose in the middle of the night down town with a couple zip ties and a ziplock bag. It worked surprisingly well and we made it home without any more problems.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
evilfij
evilfij

I know!!!!! I had left the bag of goodies in the range rover including the duct tape. I was left driving with the factory tool kit (which annoyingly happened to be missing the screw driver) and some diet soda (and spare ignition parts including some electrical tape). If I could have seen the hole, I would have patched it with some fabric and electrical tape topped up with diet soda until I got home, but it appeared to be the intake manifold so I just hopped in the back and lit up a cigarette and called the tow truck and enjoyed the sun while I waited. It also did not help that the hose is located in such a position that it would have meant burns on my hands to get at it.

PS I did fix hoses on both my disco and RRC with duct tape.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
evilfij--
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Yes cgalpin?
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
cgalpin-- too
Old May 24th, 2009, 05:35 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Sadly I definitely have you beat now. Last night I had to have our BMW towed (it's basically brand new - '08 w/ 8k miles).

Why? Well, it won't come out of park. Even with the car off it the light next to park stays on, and when the car is on it alternates between 2 yellow warning signs - a gear with an exclamation point and a foot on a brake pedal. My wife chooses to keep some "crap" in the glove box instead of the manuals, so I googled it from my phone and the best I could find was to disconnect the battery for a half hour which to be honest scares me with this thing

So I figured it was time to try out the BMW assist. Was rather surprised that with an entire country of BMWs they couldn't have someone on duty who could answer the question of how to tell the stupid thing to reset whatever software state it was in that was preventing it from getting out of park. I got transferred to their towing department and then had to wait a few hours for a tow since the first truck they sent was a rollback....

While I'm very understanding when my Rovers crap out, I was a bit miffed about the beamer. Let's hope this is an anomaly else this thing is getting sold when the warranty runs out!
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij

"While I'm very understanding when my Rovers crap out, I was a bit miffed about the beamer."

Don't get me started on bimmers. My 04 530i was the biggest POS I ever owned. It spent more time in the shop or on a roll back than any rover I have owned ever has and I only had it about 10k/1year. The last straw was when the trunk seal failed and the computer shorted cause a small electrical fire. Unfortunately it did not burn to the ground. I refuse to own any new car that I can't do all the work on myself. This limits me to new lotus, morgan, things like that. If I can, I try to avoid anything OBD II or later. If the right 1995 911 or 1995 XJR comes along, I would probably pick up them too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90