D90 galvanized chassi questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 27th, 2007, 05:05 PM
ccalado1
Cristina Calado
94 D90

D90 galvanized chassi questions

I am thinking of getting a D90 that may need a new chassi. Is there any rules against changing the entire chassi on a NAS defender? I am new to defenders, but I do have a couple of series.

Thanks
Cristina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2007, 06:36 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Just curious why you want to do a chassis swap ?

You have an extra galvanized D90 chassis ?
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:24 PM
ccalado1
Cristina Calado
94 D90

Galvanized chassi

I do not have a defender or a chassi, just checking what the options are in case I get one with a rusted frame.

Cristina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccalado1
I do not have a defender or a chassi, just checking what the options are in case I get one with a rusted frame.

Cristina
be ready to part with lots of money. because if the frame is rusted and you open that can of worms be prepared.
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:49 AM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I just gotta take a minute to vouch for Cristina.. she's rebuilt many series from ground up, so she knows what she's getting herself into.. I think her questions are more directed towards the possible legalities of swapping a d90 frame (?), and the availability of galvanized d90 frames.

Damn NJ salt belt we live in... there are d90s available but with frames on their way out..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Willard
David
1974 Series III

Yep Cristina is in just about every Rover board i can think of and when it comes to rebuilding them, i would not hesitate to ask her for help.

As for the Chassis, and the legality of it, i asked the same question on my Series. Never did get an answer from anyone. But i cannot repair mine so i will still do it, and i will be keeping front section the original chassis (where the serial number is). I can alwasy say the military did it.

As for the chassis avaliablity RN has them, looks like about 3K for one.

Not sure about anywhere else, i check RN as it was in the RN News i just got.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reconditioning a '74 Land Rover Series III 109 Ex Norwegian Military.
Right now the only thing holding it together are a few rust gremlins holding hands
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

If you want to be completly by the book then you should have your vehicle inspected after the modification is made, by the state authority, just like you would if you had a salvage title.

I had my 110 inspected after I repaired it following the accident that it was involved in, to my surprise, the inspectors in Georgia were quite knowledgable about Land Rovers. One asked me if it was a CKD. I showed him the US stickers in the door jambs and that cleared up any controversy.

You are allowed to modify your vehicle in any way you want provided it passes safety inspections. This is how ECR does their 110 conversions, from NAS D90 vehicles. It is the only completely legal way of building a non NAS 110 in the US.
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:33 AM
ccalado1
Cristina Calado
94 D90

Galvanized chassis

Thanks for your help guys. I guess I better call motor vehicles just to make sure. But having said that, every time I call to ask questions I get 10 different answers from them depending on what time of the day I called. I also think that if it passes safety inspection it will be ok. I only get odometer readings on my ground up restoration 109 but its the original chassi so it would not be a problem. I don't even think they know where the number stamp on the chassi is. Thanks again. I am just dying to get a defender.

Thanks
Cristina

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90