Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 3rd, 2016, 10:07 AM
pashtett
Pasha K
None

D90 for city driving?

Hey guys,

I'm going to buy D90 to for daily city driving. Am I totally mad or not?

I don't really plan to drive off road a lot, but I'm just in love with the truck.

Does anyone have experience like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2016, 10:17 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Make sure you put a good set of sliders on so you have at least a little side impact protection for if/when you get T-boned. But at the end of the day they are a semi-pain in the ass, leaky English vehicle that requires a lot of attention, money and patience. Think high maintenance girlfriend.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 10:24 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Mine has been my daily driver in NYC with no complaints.
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2016, 10:31 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
it depends on the height of your truck and where you are driving to and from.. my business required driving to alot of offices in Hollywood/BH with parking garages. My 110 and 90 were too tall to fit into most of the garages so the defenders became a pain the ass.. Having to leave early to find on street parking.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 10:33 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
In the beginning you'll be jacked up on adrenaline so you'll not notice the noise and discomfort. As you go through all the usual trials and tribulations you'll bond and nobody will be able to pry it out of your cold dead hands. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 10:37 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Buy a 5 year old Jeep for half the price and spend the rest of the money on chest waxing and a few gold neck chains. .
BTW living in LA you will need to buy a North American Spec D90 or 110. A ROW truck won't cut it with your DMV so double or triple your purchasing budget.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:01 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
You might want to get an automatic. With air conditioning.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 08:56 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
You might want to get an automatic. With air conditioning.
x2 especially on humid days with suit and ties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 09:33 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
X3 on the auto in stop and go traffic.
Keep up on the oil changes and other maintenance items.
The Defender will make you a mechanic, electrician, and have patience of a saint!

Old January 3rd, 2016, 10:25 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Get a slush box if you are worried about getting a callus on your hand from changing gear and developing asymmetric legs through pressing the clutch down ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 3rd, 2016, 10:29 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Totally agree on automatic + A/C for LA driving. So a 97 D90. But still, won't fit in most garages as pointed out, and awful on gas. Probably 10 mpg or worse in stop n go.
Old January 5th, 2016, 11:00 AM
pashtett
Pasha K
None

Thanks for responses guys. A/C should be there for sure. I'll think on automatic as well.

With regards to safety: Daddymow mentioned that sliders are the must. So there's no real protection for the sides right? Does it relevant to all models?
Old January 5th, 2016, 11:12 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pashtett View Post
Thanks for responses guys. A/C should be there for sure. I'll think on automatic as well.

With regards to safety: Daddymow mentioned that sliders are the must. So there's no real protection for the sides right? Does it relevant to all models?
No real side impact protection on defenders, so the rock sliders will help deflect/absorb impact from a car, a pickup truck or larger will probably not leave you in great shape. They make rock sliders for a 90.

Transmission is all preference, I have no problem driving in city traffic with a manual transmission (and manual steering in mine), much like "leastonce" has pointed out.
Old January 5th, 2016, 11:36 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I find it odd that folks care so much about crash safety in a city car. in DC, who cares about crash safety? You're rarely going over 30, most people are on bicycles, pedestrians are jaywalking everywhere. People are aggressive, angry, and tragically pissed off.

Advantages of the 90 in the city for me:

1. Short wheelbase and overhangs = fits in small parking spots
2. Trail armor (rock sliders, corner guards, and massive bumper) will protect against any and every door ding, and discourages other aggressive drivers.
3. Brakes are decent
4. You're pretty tall on the road, so everyone sees you.
5. If you are RHD, you exit on the sidewalk.

Big downsides are:
1. Too tall for some / most parking garages
Old January 5th, 2016, 11:39 AM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
I commuter drive my 97 D90 in LA traffic 2-4 times a week. South Bay to Beverly Hills or Hollywood... that's a real commute.

Manual in LA sucks... try driving it through Hollywood or W. Hollywood with all the stop signs. Or sitting on a 20 mile commute for an hour and half.

AC is useless in my truck. It's not terrible in LA just rolling the windows down... a dry heat as they say. You might be moist in the back 2 mo of the year. But the AC will not really cool you down, make the truck run 15 degrees warmer on an already hot day and drip water inside the truck.

The garage height is livable. I have a 1.5 in lift so I'm at about 6'7". Don't believe the markings on decks... they are not accurate. Warn the valets. Drive slow into all garages until you know them. You'll quickly learn everywhere you can park. Yes, street's a pain but if you know you are going to be there a while, there are EXPENSIVE outdoor parking everywhere. But you get used to it. And you'll do some good walking.

I get 11-13 mpg.

Otherwise, it's pretty fun. Good thing about LA traffic is you rarely have a need to go faster than 65 and typically you are going less than 45mph. I sit in the right lane and grandma it most of the time. Keeps my blood pressure low.
Old January 5th, 2016, 11:46 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronlam View Post
I commuter drive my 97 D90 in LA traffic 2-4 times a week. South Bay to Beverly Hills or Hollywood... that's a real commute. Manual in LA sucks... try driving it through Hollywood or W. Hollywood with all the stop signs. Or sitting on a 20 mile commute for an hour and half. AC is useless in my truck. It's not terrible in LA just rolling the windows down... a dry heat as they say. You might be moist in the back 2 mo of the year. But the AC will not really cool you down, make the truck run 15 degrees warmer on an already hot day and drip water inside the truck. The garage height is livable. I have a 1.5 in lift so I'm at about 6'7". Don't believe the markings on decks... they are not accurate. Warn the valets. Drive slow into all garages until you know them. You'll quickly learn everywhere you can park. Yes, street's a pain but if you know you are going to be there a while, there are EXPENSIVE outdoor parking everywhere. But you get used to it. And you'll do some good walking. I get 11-13 mpg. Otherwise, it's pretty fun. Good thing about LA traffic is you rarely have a need to go faster than 65 and typically you are going less than 45mph. I sit in the right lane and grandma it most of the time. Keeps my blood pressure low.
Aaron,

Might be time to bring it in of the AC is making the truck run hot. As for the leak inside its a clogged drain.

You are right though about stick sucking in la. Drove stick my entire life, then had to commute to miracle mile from mb. I last two months in the defender before I got an lr4.
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:07 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Aaron,

Might be time to bring it in of the AC is making the truck run hot. As for the leak inside its a clogged drain.
Psyching myself up for being Defender-less for 3 mo
Old January 5th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Ai91
Anthony
97 defender 90

I daily drive my d90 sw in the nyc area. Ac and automatic. When it's really hot out the ac is useless to me. Never blows cold enough for it to really matter. Also on really hot days it would cause the truck to run hotter which can get annoying. On those days I sometimes wish it would just burn to the ground but once I'm out of the traffic I love it again. Also have a 2" lift so parking in some lots are not an option. I think it comes down to if you enjoy the truck enough to be in it everyday and to deal with things that come along with owning it. Only way to find out is to try it.
Old January 6th, 2016, 07:30 PM
coffee
John Oates
1993 NAS Defender 110 #367/500

Registry
I drive my 110 on the daily and have for the last 4 or so years. I had a second car, but found the defender did better when driven as a DD, so I sold my primary. Plus, it's hard to walk outside and see your defender and not be drawn into it - my other car just sat and farther rd dust til I sold it. I think they get a bad wrap. Don't get me wrong, there are drawbacks, but if you keep ahead of maintenance they are fine. I also appreciate the stress reduction factor. I never drive fast or get in a hurry...because I can't. I'm a much more chill driver as a result. Go for it
Old February 26th, 2016, 03:53 PM
Shagey71
Sam Hagey
1995 RRC LWB - Alpine White

Registry
Coffee - Did I see you crossing Mopac on Braker Lane earlier this week? White 110 I believe? Straining my eyes on your avatar to see if it could have been...

On topic - I love driving rovers daily, Family defenders, my classics, the more decked out they are the better, people get out of my way and I don't ever get merged into! Parking garages suck, though. I especially like making my own parking at events and not worrying about low water crossings when the rainy season comes.

My suggestion, upgrade the tail lights to higher output, or LEDs... I've been rearended more times than I'd care to think about because tail lights on any old car are typically smaller and dimmer than the way tthey build them now and people are so distracted... Thank goodness my current Rover is a tank, and has taken 3 hits to the back with only scratches in the chrome bumper... A third brake light is always good also, make it bright.

'95 RRC CountyLWB - dripping all over central TX
'83 110 HCPU - in piceces, all over central TX
'90 RRC Truggy - loud and proud
'95 RRC CountyLWB Beluga Black - SOLD
'01 P38 - POS Leaked Electricity - SOLD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90, vin