D90 - Daily Driver - Yes, No or Maybe? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 28th, 2005, 04:29 PM
uzj100
Andrew
2000 UZJ100

Talking D90 - Daily Driver - Yes, No or Maybe?

I am considering a d90 soft top as a daily driver. I would like to get some real owner insight to this. Also, I have 2 small children and wanted to know if 2 baby seats would fit buckled in the back of the d90?

I live 12 miles from work. So about 25 miles round trip. I live in Raleigh, NC and gets pretty hot.

I am considering a 94 with 100k miles, AC and a 5 speed.

Thank you for assistance,

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well my 90 is sort of my daily driver, round trip for me is about 22 miles and 2 car seats just fit in the back. No AC for me, just take the top off and I am good, although the back seat is much worse to sit in when the top is off then the front seat wind wise.

Now I say Sort of a daily driver because I regularly abuse mine and it ends up sitting in the drive way for periods of time while it gets repaired and waits for parts. So remember it has 100k on it, it will need repairs every now and then.

Yeah the baby seats fit but it's a pain to try and get baby's in and out of them, but from 3 on up the kids can get in and out on there own. With a top on it gets even worse. I would not have any kids out back for long rids without at least a surrey top.

Hope that helps!
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:46 PM
uzj100
Andrew
2000 UZJ100

That does help. I would more than likely run some sort of canvas over the top of the roll cage all the time. My oldest is 3 in August and my youngest is about 16 months. This d90 would be for around town only. We have a highway vehicle. I would drive the d90 back and forth to work and then back and forth to the swimming pool (less than 2 miles away).

Thank you for the assistance,

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzj100
That does help. I would more than likely run some sort of canvas over the top of the roll cage all the time. My oldest is 3 in August and my youngest is about 16 months. This d90 would be for around town only. We have a highway vehicle. I would drive the d90 back and forth to work and then back and forth to the swimming pool (less than 2 miles away).
You failed to mention if you'd actually be using it.

My situation is about the same as Mike's. It's a daily driver that I also offroad on weekends. It breaks and sits waiting on parts(like it is now. Anyone know where I can find a new/used/cheap ignition? Hotwiring my car is getting old.). With 100K miles it's gonna be starting to need lots of little things to keep running. Get to know your parts suppliers. I'm in Texas and have A/C but I never use it. I run with a surrey in summer and a full top in winter. Occasionally I'll even put in my doortops if it looks like it's gonna rain more than a bit or be colder than 40degrees for more than a couple days. I think you'll find that with a softtop and surrey you really don't need A/C.
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Been driving mine as my primary vehicle for more than a year and a half now. About 8 miles each way to work, 5 days a week. If you'll be doing the daily driver route, I don't recommend a flowmaster muffler and aggressively treaded tires. Some days it can get a bit hot for my taste, 90 degrees, 90% humitidy. But I have SW, not a soft top, so I don't get the same breezy feelings the other guys do.

I had some decent expenses to catch up with from previous owners that didn't quite maintain things properly, but once I got it all back into proper order, it's been nicely reliable.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:51 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

I actually have both a 3.5 and a 1.5 year old, and before I got the D90 I entertained thoughts of traveling with the whole family in the 90. My truck came with 2 Exmoor folding forward facing seats, instead of the factory rear seat. They are more comfy for adults, but a car seat still hangs over the front edge of the seat by 4 inches or so. The safest spot for kids is in the front seat (search for car seat - there are lots of posts on this topic). Now my opinion is that if you want to take 4 people in a 90, get a Station Wagon - not only is it possible to hear what the kids are saying, but flying objects from outside have a real barrier to entry, vs. the soft top which prevents nothing but rain from entering the vehicle (yes, my Bestop doesn't leak a bit - and it's the only one that does that I think I drive every day about the same distance and it's fine for a daily driver - compared to the Series truck I used to have. If you sit in stop and go traffic you're going to get a really strong left leg. Anyone that says AC is not neccessary doesn't have to show up looking/smelling professional unless you commute in the dark.

My son still refers to the 90 as the quiet truck, rather than the "noisy truck" that was the Series.
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I bought my D90 new in Feb '94...so it has been my daily driver for 11 years, 165,000 miles. I've had lots of other cars as well in the last 11 years but none as much fun as the D90. I've tried on several occasions to make it not my daily driver to keep the miles down, but after a few days I miss it and start driving it again. I finally gave up and decided not to worry about the miles, and just drive it and enjoy it.
Rob
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

I will join the chorus of daily drivers. Mine's been a daily driver for 6 years, and I like the 5-speed. Before the Defender, I was buying and selling cars way too fast. Now there isn't anything that gets my interest like it.

That said, be prepared for repair costs. I have found my truck to be fairly reliable, but you can't expect the routine replacement parts like starters and alternators to last forever. Regular service intervals can get a little pricey at this mileage. At over 100k, there always exists the possibility something major could need overhaul within a year or two due to lack of prior maintenance or just bad luck. For instance, if you couldn't afford a head gasket job, what would you drive? Budget realistically, though, and this isn't a deal killer.

Some may disagree, but I strongly suggest the A/C for a daily, as these trucks get pretty hot inside. Like someone else mentioned, a primary car will require arriving in decent shape. Safari in a suit and tie gets old fast. It will also make it more palatable for the family.

Hope it works out. Defenders don't seem like another car, but a new member of the family. Your kids should love it.
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:39 AM
uzj100
Andrew
2000 UZJ100

This is really helping. I have gone through a ton of vehicles (14) in my 19 years of driving.

The vehicle will be used at Uwharrie, Outer Banks and up in VA.

Thanks,

uzj100
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:30 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
I too use mine as my daily driver. You are not going to be dodging in and out of traffic on the belt line at 5 o clock, but other than that I haven't had a problem as long as she is running. Get real used to checking alot of fluid levels!

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old June 29th, 2005, 02:50 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

1994 ST daily driver. 1 kid- she loves it and preferes it over the Lexus. My wife sits in the back, side facing seat if 3 of us go out. I think of the D90 as a 2 seater only. Noise is a real issue - yell. If you want 2 kids in the back, getting in and out is a challenge. You will want easy to get in kids seats/ bench. Expect to pay $1000.00 extra to make it safe (safety is an issue for me) with solid anchors and bench structure - I suggest hunting down Yousef on this site. He is an increadible resource and has 2+ {?at least 2?} kids.
The short of it -
- great daily driver if milage is low (less than 50m)
I just averaged an all time high 13 mpg hway, get 10 mpg street (gas here $2.39 g).
- really a 2 seater
- noisy (upgrade the stereo for 50+ watts. I get to lissen to ABBA and Jungle book all day!).
- Creature comforts decline with age - 97 loaded, 95 little less, 94 for real men .

And finally, no matter what you say/think, you will end up with pieces, spare parts in the yard and garage so the Mrs MUST MUST be tolerant.

And really finally, I will fight to the end to keep my D90 even if I need to buy and drive a minivan when family comes over. I will prostitute myself for this addiction.

The end - Note to all, I am thinking of asking Mike to set up a new forum for self help, or a Dr. Phil clone on this topic.
Old June 29th, 2005, 05:29 PM
uzj100
Andrew
2000 UZJ100

Not going to go over 30 mph with kids in the D90. It is exactly 1.5 miles of neighborhood streets to the pool and about 2 miles of neighborhood streets to the park. Thank you for all the insight.

uzj100
Old June 29th, 2005, 06:38 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzj100
Not going to go over 30 mph with kids in the D90. It is exactly 1.5 miles of neighborhood streets to the pool and about 2 miles of neighborhood streets to the park. Thank you for all the insight.

uzj100
If it's just 2 miles, get one of these and take the whole neighborhood:

Truck
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:38 PM
javelinadave
-
-

ST daily driver in AZ. I don't mind the heat, the A/C works pretty good in my rig. I drive about 10K a year; including my off roading...........
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I did not read the other posts but I would not get one of these as a daily driver. Especially with kids. They are cumbersom, roll easy, uncomfortable, bad gas milage, and very unreliable. Plus, with no crumple zones, even a small impact is very jarring. They were ment to be offroad, or military and were perverted into road rigs. Buy a grocery getter, and the D.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:22 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I did not read the other posts but I would not get one of these as a daily driver. Especially with kids. They are cumbersom, roll easy, uncomfortable, bad gas milage, and very unreliable. Plus, with no crumple zones, even a small impact is very jarring. They were ment to be offroad, or military and were perverted into road rigs. Buy a grocery getter, and the D.
Come on David, the crumple zones are built into the other car!
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Buy a grocery getter
I have too agree, my D doesn't get groceries all that well! On the last Grocery getter trip I broke the T-case And Dave I was expecting you to warn him about the panties as he would have children in it with him. I am not all that sure his wife would like that.
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Oh Sh*t, I totally forgot. Good catch. I should have warned that the constant panties that will be thrown at you really is a safety hazard. One time I had the window down and one landed on my head, I nearly died.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:26 AM
uzj100
Andrew
2000 UZJ100

Guys, I have been given the go ahead to get a D90 by the wife. I am not sure what she wants but she has taken my 100 series and I am now driving her mb wagon. I do not like driving the wagon at all. My two choices of vehicle are a REALLY old g wagen convertable and a D90. I would not even consider a heep.

Yes, it will be a daily driver for about 1 to 2 years. Then it will be the third car. I think I can tough it out.

Thanks for all the insight,

uzj100
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:50 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

In 2 years check this post again and see if it ACTUALLY turns into a 3rd car in that time or if your trying to find even more time to drive it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90