D90 - Daily Driver - Yes, No or Maybe? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 30th, 2005, 09:53 AM
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000
Originally Posted by uzj100
Guys, I have been given the go ahead to get a D90 by the wife.

Just do it before she changes her mind! You won't regret it.

:O [==] O:
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:04 AM
2000 UZJ100
I know. Anyone want a MB wagon?

Old June 30th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605
I bought my D-90 as a second car and everyday I went out to go to work I ended up getting in the D-90. It is now my daily driver and only car. I wouldn't have it any other way. I drive about 300-400miles per week and have put over 35K miles on it in the 1 1/2 years I have owned it.

The only time I get nervous about using it as a daily driver is when I'm on the trails. You never know when something serious is going to break and I'll be stuck getting a rental car to get to work the next morning.
If the truck makes it - the trail wasn't tough enough.
If the truck doesn't make it - the truck wasn't tough enough.
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:27 AM
m j
Honestly, I've been struggling with this for some time now. The D90 is my daily driver, and only driver for that matter. I've been thinking of selling her and getting a disco or rrc.

It's a definite commitment to drive all the time. Maybe I got a bad egg, but honestly, this thing has been sucking me dry financially. Of course some of the stuff was self induced.... Like the trashed steering linkage two weeks ago (replaced thanks to Rovertracks). Part of my thinking of selling is the nice thought of not having a car payment.... Yeah not all of us can layout the cash for a decent 90.

But then there's the maintanence stuff.... Like I said I may have gotten a bad egg. Most of the simple maintanence projects turn into week long events. My 94 was orginally an east coast beach cruiser.... So needless to say all those projects involve broken bolts and nuts. I'm getting really good at the easy-out and tap & die set!

If you get a good one, she'll treat you right. If you get a bad one, you'll be cursing it for all of your ownership. All in all, it might not be so bad if I had another vehicle. But then again, I don't want two car payments.

I LOVE driving it and wheeling it!!! But she's been such a bitch to me over my ownership. An expensive whore that keeps luring me in!
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576
Well done laddie, buy the D90 now while the iron is hot. And post pix. The kids will LOVE IT!

Funny thing, this very week my wife had a hissy fit cause I told the staff at my kids summer camp I would not sell my truck and would keep it to pass onto my 6 yr old girl when she goes to college. Now, I do not know if the hissy was over keeping the D90 that long, or it was the fact that inside a week, every female staff member knows my name and talked to my wife with great familiarity about me. Oh, and the guy staff, one 16 yr old in particular, really wants to buy it.

On the other side, my wife really likes the full safari rack that just "showed up" one day. 'Cause I had to sell a few odds and ends that were lying about so everyone won.
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)
Originally Posted by jabber
Honestly, I've been struggling with this for some time now. The D90 is my daily driver, and only driver for that matter. I've been thinking of selling her and getting a disco or rrc.
Don't do it Mike! It's those leather seats...trade 'em out and you won't have any more problems
"Pump one is on for the black Jeep"
"It's not a Jeep"
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104
Originally Posted by DaveHuny
If it's just 2 miles, get one of these and take the whole neighborhood:

Thats great...LMAO
"tell them to phucough"

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:18 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
My advice is to buy a D-90 worth about $3-4000 less than you can afford and buy a 93-95 RRC as a companion vehicle for--you know--winter and such.
*not legal advice*
Old July 1st, 2005, 12:47 PM
Rover- Girl

I live in Florida , not only hot down here, but wet and sticky as hell...
I drive mine daily.
I took the soft top off and bought a surrey top, took the window tops
out aswell. I have a/c but don't use it, unless I sit in traffic with no breeze !!
Driving without the full top and windows is actually cooler than I thought
acctually its very enjoyable.
I love it.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:14 PM
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST
Personally i dont find my 90 very cumbersome. In fact, the square corners and overall box-shape make it really easy to park and the like. Also, I would not claim that it rolls easily. I dont know how you drive yours david, but i dont have any sway bars and probably drive a little more aggressivly than i should at times and i have never put it in a situation were i was worried about a roll while on the pavement. As for reliability, I haven't had a single situation where the rover wouldn't start or get me where i wanted to go in the past 2 years of owning it ::knock on wood::. All of that being said, the 90 is not a sports car and will get crappy milage.

To give some perpective, I go to school at UNC Chapel Hill where i use the rover as a "daily driver." But i only really drive a couple times a week during the school year. During the summer I work at a summer camp in the mountains and teach offroading to teenagers everyday. The 90 gets a pretty good workout and just blew past 100k miles on a beach trip this past week. I dare say that it is more reliable than my old 2000 jeep cherokee which at only 70k miles is currently having troubles starting.

When i'm not in the mountains or at school i live in Cary. I find the climate around Raleigh to be great for owning the 90. It's not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter. I do have AC in my rover, but i do not use it all the time in the summer. It's great just to take off the top. My one complaint in the summer is how hot the floor and the seats get due to a lack of insulation. Other than that I love the rover and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Old July 24th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Keith Duckett
90 V8 Import
If you are driving any distance the economics don't add up - cheaper to buy an extra car which does 30+ mpg. My kids love going in the rover, and the attention it gets from everybody, but not on long distances.
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw
I guess I chould Knock on wood here and I am, but I have been driving my d-90 to work and back as my primary car. My fuel consomption is not bad considering how much I drive and the traffic conditions. If I take it easy on the ac i can get almost two weeks on 15 gallons of gas. I also have not experienced any mechanical failures (the Auto tranny is nice) 76,000 miles and no mechanical issues big enough for a visit to the shop. Change your fluids, check your oil, and go easy on the ac and the Gas pedal and a d-90 could work for you. Im going to knock on wood again

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

90, d90