D110 on EBay - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 27th, 2005, 09:32 AM
EndlessEarth4WD
Grant Guilbeault
1998 Rangie/1994 D90

D110 on EBay

The description of this truck reads like it was written by a lawyer. Of course, when you think about it you can see why the seller needs to cover himself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3ASS%3AUS%3A1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2005, 10:23 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Funny how they changed their Ebay identity yesterday.
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:45 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Now lets all say together now trouble in the making.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2005, 11:59 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

my eyes glazed over while reading that. The house in the back ground looks like it belongs to an attorney.
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:07 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I suppose they think thats better verbiage than:

For Sale, one illegally imported and titled 2002 TD5 Land Rover Defender 110. I bought the truck because because I have personal problems with regulation and authority and I derived tremendous ego satisfaction from flaunting the rules and exercising my prerogative. Now, several months later the emotional high has worn off and the extent of my personal liability has set in, so I want to try and recover some of my cash outlay and get out from under this white elephant. I'm demanding an exhorbitant price because my aforementioned ego prevents me from selling at a loss; additionally, my target buyer is one with more money than sense. Aside from being impossible to legitimately insure and operate on public roads in the US, this is a very nice truck. It will look great sitting in your driveway, on the trail, or your local customs impound lot. Despite the fact that I have already submitted fradulent customs documents, dodged the NHTSA, and violated the Clean Air Act, I'm willing to engage in interstate commerce to unload this truck and all its associated problems on you. All this being said, I do not warranty the truck in any way and I would like you to believe that getting service on a TD5 will be the only difficulty you face during your period of ownership.
Old September 27th, 2005, 02:45 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I suppose they think thats better verbiage than:

For Sale, one illegally imported and titled 2002 TD5 Land Rover Defender 110. I bought the truck because because I have personal problems with regulation and authority and I derived tremendous ego satisfaction from flaunting the rules and exercising my prerogative. Now, several months later the emotional high has worn off and the extent of my personal liability has set in, so I want to try and recover some of my cash outlay and get out from under this white elephant. I'm demanding an exhorbitant price because my aforementioned ego prevents me from selling at a loss; additionally, my target buyer is one with more money than sense. Aside from being impossible to legitimately insure and operate on public roads in the US, this is a very nice truck. It will look great sitting in your driveway, on the trail, or your local customs impound lot. Despite the fact that I have already submitted fradulent customs documents, dodged the NHTSA, and violated the Clean Air Act, I'm willing to engage in interstate commerce to unload this truck and all its associated problems on you. All this being said, I do not warranty the truck in any way and I would like you to believe that getting service on a TD5 will be the only difficulty you face during your period of ownership.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 27th, 2005, 10:04 PM
jabber
m j

Funny, I saw that truck a couple months ago at some "auto-consignment" dealer. They were asking 70K for it. Nice looking truck over all.

Of course, he's probably trying to get rid of it before he gets pinched.
Old September 28th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL! Nice Jim!

But it does look like it was registered at one point as it has a plate on it, and how else would you get 15kmiles on it if it wasn't road leagal?
Old September 28th, 2005, 03:08 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

plate dosn't mean a thing he could of taken it off another truck just for the picture

Old September 28th, 2005, 04:11 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

If this is the 110 that I heard about then it is legally registered 110 in the state of CO. I heard there is some company that would do it for you but will cost you $$$$ just like the company in NM that will charge lotís of money for a gray market G-wagonís. However, they could be lying but anything is possible I guess. Just like a friend of mine that brought his Smart from the Middle East and got it registered in the state of CO but it did take him few tries to get it done, and I have seen this car and title in person and it is the only one in the state that is legal, right now the car is in Kentucky and itís yellow just in case someone seen it.
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:14 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
LOL! Nice Jim!

But it does look like it was registered at one point as it has a plate on it, and how else would you get 15kmiles on it if it wasn't road leagal?
You either drive it anyway, or depending on your jurisdiction - you dont have to legally import a vehicle to get a title.

In SC, when I brought in my Euro-spec BMW 540 (which I had recently imported legally) the DMV didnt care where the car came from, they just needed to verify that it existed (which they did by looking at it in the parking lot). When they punched the VIN into the computer, it spat out all kinds of errors, which they just ignored. Title does not equal legal oddly enough.
Old September 28th, 2005, 05:25 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

D110 on EBay

As Jim C alluded, many states CO included don't care where a vehicle comes from to provide a title. A state title does not provide any assurance that the vehicle has been legally imported i.e. EPA and NHTSA compliance. Besides, being a Td5 its a lot of headache for a rig that is still ECU impaired...

cheers,
Paul
Old September 28th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

So the real question is weather the government cares enough to come after you for having 1 Illegally imported vehicle. I am sure there are hundreds of inspectors just sitting around with nothing better to do but chase after illegally imported Defenders. I'm not saying it's a good idea by any means, just saying it's not likely he gets caught.
Old September 28th, 2005, 06:24 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

I would be more concerned about personal liability, if/when the vehicle is in a multi-vehicle accident. Would your insurance co stand by you if you're driving a vehicle that was not legally imported in the first place? Does Customs go after illegally imported vehicles? Yes. Can you get away with it for a while? Yes. Is it worth taking a $50k roll of the dice for a nice 110 (despite the Td5)?

"A fool and his money are soon parted."
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Insurance may be dropped. Depends how the underwriter has structured your insurance. Mine become void if the vehicle is proven not to comply with DOT safety regulations, regardless of legal title. So basically if I import a grey market vehicle and something happens, I can loose the farm. . .
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Cool

If you had the dough though, it would be nice to break it down and rebuild it as a kit car, just like those fake Shelby Cobras.

Brand new 110 I may lay awake dreaming tonight!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, d110, ebay