I need some education on Roadsters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2014, 12:00 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Robert Davis knows a thing or two about MG's.

He has a really old one in his garage...at least he said he does; it was underneath a lot of stuff.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 31st, 2014, 12:17 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Thinking this type of thing.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/4447593666.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 31st, 2014, 01:02 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

I made a living out of it for a while. Worked full time a British only shop. I even had a '58 MGA for a while.

That one looks pretty clean but like all MGs, you need to get up close and personal with it. The bonnet, doors, and boot lid are aluminum and hand made to each specific car as it came down the line. The first thing I check is alignment of all of those pieces. Replacements stick out like a sore thumb as they almost never fit like the factory ones. Next, check all of the places where water will splash up in the wheel wells. The floors are plywood so check their condition. All of the packing pieces are supposed to be felt so check where the outer panels meet with the chassis (the A was the last body on frame car MG made). There are splash panels to protect water getting into the body from the wells but the seals sometimes rot (they are rubber). I have never seen a rotten frame (unlike TRs that are guaranteed to rust) but check it. Be wary of too much undercoating. Definitely poke gently with a screwdriver. Bring a filler depth gauge (or magnet) to check for Bondo. The part of the body where the bumper attaches and the sheetmetal bends under the car is a very common area for filler as proper body pounding is difficult to do. Check the chrome. Aftermarket is garbage and has a TON of imperfections. You will be able to tell a new grille right away. Also, he looks like he painted it correctly. The silver beading between body and panels is the way it is supposed to be. I hate the "resale red" color though, personally. There are far more red MGs than ever left the factory.

It should be peppy but not fast. The early cars have no sway bars (you can replace the front horns for a front) so they are a LOT of fun to toss around. Gearbox is bolt action. If it feels sloppy, there is a little poly bushing where the lever slips into the rails that is an easy replacement.

I regret selling my '58 but school needed to be paid for. I dislike the 1600s and after because of the stacked rear tails. The earlier cars have a cleaner rear. He also has a non original dash. It should be metal. He had a piece of wood cut and laid on top. Hate that. The MGA is one of the prettiest cars ever made. Pull the windscreen off (very easy), and it is even better.
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:17 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Wish you were closer!
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:34 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Call the werewolf...

Too soon?
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:05 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Jeff Aronson keeps mentioning a place in Maine.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:32 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Jeff Aronson keeps mentioning a place in Maine.
I saw Jeff just made a purchase maybe I'll hit him up. Now to find some $.

------ Follow up post added May 31st, 2014 03:33 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Call the werewolf... Too soon?
????
Old May 31st, 2014, 04:04 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I don't have much to add on what Viggen said. They are dead simple to work on, the electrics can be just as weird as Land Rovers, normal wear item parts are fairly reasonable, body panels are expensive as hell.

I've had a MGB for quite a few years and it still puts a smile on my face every time I head off down the road. They are great fun, to drive, just don't expect it to be fast unless you do a engine swap.

I'll add that in the decent months I Daily Drive mine, and like a land rover maintenance is the key to happy living.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old May 31st, 2014, 04:31 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

My 72 BGT was my DD every day, unless there was snow on the ground. Again, sold this one too.

Do you want an MGA or do you want an MGB? The B is a far easier car to own. More parts are available. I like to think of the MGB as the '32 Ford of the British car world. There is literally nothing that has not been done. Want to turbo the stock motor? Done. Want a Miata drivetrain? Done. Want a Jag V12 (yes, you read that right)? Done. IRS? Bolt in kit available. Modern ball joint with coil over front end (loosely based on M3 geo)? Bolt in crossmember available. With the MGA, it is much harder. A great MGB is also half the price of the A.

If I were asked which to get, the MGB would be my suggestion, unless you truly want an MGA. I will get another A to mess with and hopefully keep forever.
Old May 31st, 2014, 04:49 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I'd love to get a MGB GT to be a stable mate to the MGB. My wife actually wants a B GT but she wants a/c cruise control, and a auto trans in it.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old May 31st, 2014, 05:10 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
I'd love to get a MGB GT to be a stable mate to the MGB. My wife actually wants a B GT but she wants a/c cruise control, and a auto trans in it.
Cruise might be difficult but MGCs were available with a 3 speed auto and air conditioning. My dads '79 MGB had factory air. You can retrofit a/c pretty easily now. The GT did get pretty warm inside. Did not help that it was a dark BRG with black interior.
Old May 31st, 2014, 05:13 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

To me the auto is blasphemy it just ruins the car.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:44 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Neat info Viggen.
My mom drove a 76 B for a few years when I was kid; I loved riding on the shelf.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:51 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Do you want an MGA or do you want an MGB? .
I'm totally in love with the lines of that Roadster. Sounds like the B is a more logical choice but I'm also not logical lol.

Any decent forums out there for these things?
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:22 PM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
I'm totally in love with the lines of that Roadster. Sounds like the B is a more logical choice but I'm also not logical lol.

Any decent forums out there for these things?
MG Experience is a good one. I almost never go on it but I have heard good things. British V8 is another cool forum.

In my opinion the MGA is one of the sexiest cars ever made. I completely understand your wanting the MGA over the MGB but if you are looking for a more comfortable driver, and one that you can play around with, the MGB is the way to go. More room, more comfort, more parts available, and less of a chance of pissing people off when you modify things.

This was my inspiration for my MGA. If I kept it long enough, I would have loved to see it evolve into something like this Le Mans tribute. I remember when this came out and was making the rounds in the magazines. It was polarizing to say the least. Some loved it (me), some hated it because it was no where near original.

Old May 31st, 2014, 08:18 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Be sure to check the rocker panel areas for rust - there are three layers in there that really like to rust.

MGA's are pretty:

But a MGB in Dove blue is very pretty too

Old May 31st, 2014, 09:27 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I love the roadster in the summer you just want to get in and drive. Either is a great choice. I'd love a MGA but don't have the time and money. The MGB and 110 take care of all that for me...

Unknown Author

716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat