Current Market Price Stickie? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old October 12th, 2015, 04:22 PM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Online
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,783
Registry
Johan I think your asking prices tend to be the most aggressive on this board so give or take a couple grand are good indicators.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #22  
Old October 12th, 2015, 04:43 PM
jason1st
Status: Offline
Jason Crandall
2006 LR3 2012 SC 1983 110
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The whole concept of this thread promotes the position of lazy cluelessness. The info is out there for those that seek it. It will only encourage more flipping, and I'm of the buy and hold mindset.

-Jeff
+1

Why should I give away my hard work and hard won information?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old October 12th, 2015, 04:52 PM
mgreenspan's Avatar
mgreenspan
Status: Offline
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nevada City
Posts: 1,719
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmountainrover View Post
I sold the 109 pick up for 6,500
That nice 90 ex mod hard top for 11,600
That really nice ex mod 12 miles 110 for $20k

Lost lots and lots on 109, broke even ish on 90, made $1,200 on 110.
The top two are priced in line with their equivalent vehicles in the UK plus the rough cost of importing. The last one I'm not sure about but possibly so. Do you think the market for ex mods has equalized?
__________________
Do not read the next sentence.

You little rebel, I like you.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #24  
Old October 12th, 2015, 05:33 PM
vasily's Avatar
vasily
Status: Offline
Vasily
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 732
Registry
If this takes off, it will probably going to be the most watched, least participated in thread on the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old October 12th, 2015, 05:41 PM
greenmountainrover's Avatar
greenmountainrover
Status: Offline
Derek Chace
84 Lightweight FFR
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlotte VT
Posts: 1,656
Registry
The last one was the nicest ex mod I have ever seen. 12k miles never left London its whole life. That was a once in a life time find. I dont think that will ever happen again. I think ex mod market is healthy between 14-17k for a nice one. Lower then 14k no one will bring them in. Its hard to find a nice running under 5K-6K GBP these days and thats before import all the other shit never mind and profit. Any more then 17K i dont think they are out of most peoples entry ex mod price range.

NO SERIES EVER AGAIN! I know I say this every time but I always lose shit loads on them. I love them for myself but just no meat on bone for them state side. Also screwed and all profits gone is they need fixing like what happened with the pick up.

Its 5 door prices and 200tdi that I think have gotten the craziest. Also 101 prices in the UK are nuts right now. I wish I could just sell ex mod stuff but demand is for the 5 door.
__________________
Green Mountain Rovers your Defender/Series sales and importation specialist.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

802-655-4874
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old October 12th, 2015, 05:52 PM
asif k.
Status: Offline

Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 162
Mine always seem to sell for 14k, give or take a few hundred. All have been LHD 90s in average condition, not rusty. 88-89 model years. A LHD 110 late 80's model would probably be about 23-25k in similar 'average' condition, no TDI.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old October 12th, 2015, 09:05 PM
JohnsD90's Avatar
JohnsD90
Status: Offline
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 2,282
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The whole concept of this thread promotes the position of lazy cluelessness. The info is out there for those that seek it. It will only encourage more flipping, and I'm of the buy and hold mindset.

-Jeff
This and patience for a buyer, the right truck at the right price will come along. Or if it doesn't, go source one yourself, again the information is out there, for someone willing to go through the process to find it!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old October 12th, 2015, 09:10 PM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Online
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,783
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The whole concept of this thread promotes the position of lazy cluelessness. The info is out there for those that seek it. It will only encourage more flipping, and I'm of the buy and hold mindset.

-Jeff
thats b.s. ... the "craigslist finds" thread is far worse for promoting flippers, highlighting deals lazy folks wouldnt have seen otherwise.. i hate that thread..nothing worse than thinking you have found a smoking local deal only to see the link posted in there..

. this is just letting you know what a realistic price is for a truck.. where is the harm in that?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old October 12th, 2015, 10:10 PM
cbfritz_03
Status: Offline
Carmen
none
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 1,520
oop...my bad. I posted one in that thread today but was just trying to help. I've gotten 3 of my rovers off of CL and am very happy, but I see what you're saying because I've also had one sold out from under me and another close call with that. It's heartbreaking to have another buyer get to a truck you want knowing it's going to be re-sold, but because I have friends who do that I understand.

iow... If I find one I like and am able to get my hot little hands on it...I'm keeping it!!
__________________
Car Camping Collective founding member - Badge #88 ...with 4 whole fried chickens and a coke.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old October 12th, 2015, 10:21 PM
mmgcny
Status: Offline
Michael
None
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Garden City, NY, USA
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
oop...my bad. I posted one in that thread today but was just trying to help. I've gotten 3 of my rovers off of CL and am very happy, but I see what you're saying because I've also had one sold out from under me and another close call with that. It's heartbreaking to have another buyer get to a truck you want knowing it's going to be re-sold, but because I have friends who do that I understand.

iow... If I find one I like and am able to get my hot little hands on it...I'm keeping it!!
In the data that I am compiling I have come across a few flips. All great trucks that were picked up by luxury car dealers. Taken to the dealership and detailed. All probably to be sold to someone who has little appreciation for the heritage and capabilities of the truck. Someone with deep pockets who came across a cool looking truck and had to have it.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old October 12th, 2015, 10:26 PM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Online
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,783
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
oop...my bad. I posted one in that thread today but was just trying to help. I've gotten 3 of my rovers off of CL and am very happy, but I see what you're saying because I've also had one sold out from under me and another close call with that. It's heartbreaking to have another buyer get to a truck you want knowing it's going to be re-sold, but because I have friends who do that I understand.

iow... If I find one I like and am able to get my hot little hands on it...I'm keeping it!!
You're forgiven Carmen.. You posted a discovery...no one is flipping those
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old October 12th, 2015, 10:43 PM
cbfritz_03
Status: Offline
Carmen
none
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgcny View Post
In the data that I am compiling I have come across a few flips. All great trucks that were picked up by luxury car dealers. Taken to the dealership and detailed. All probably to be sold to someone who has little appreciation for the heritage and capabilities of the truck. Someone with deep pockets who came across a cool looking truck and had to have it.
That's exactly what could have happened to my newest little girl...a dealership flip. Clouds parted...rainbows, prancing unicorns, wonderful seller and now at home with me...

------ Follow up post added October 12th, 2015 09:48 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
You're forgiven Carmen.. You posted a discovery...no one is flipping those
Lol... yet. I figured it would make a nice transplant vehicle for someone and I don't have room for another...yet
__________________
Car Camping Collective founding member - Badge #88 ...with 4 whole fried chickens and a coke.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old October 13th, 2015, 12:41 AM
WBSurfer's Avatar
WBSurfer
Status: Online
Chris
1995 RRC
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,214
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
thats b.s. ... the "craigslist finds" thread is far worse for promoting flippers, highlighting deals lazy folks wouldnt have seen otherwise.. i hate that thread..nothing worse than thinking you have found a smoking local deal only to see the link posted in there..

. this is just letting you know what a realistic price is for a truck.. where is the harm in that?
True ass shit John!!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old October 13th, 2015, 01:00 AM
D90Overkill's Avatar
D90Overkill
Status: Offline
David Frank
1995 ST #2615
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Napa, CA. United States
Posts: 4,864
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBSurfer View Post
True ass shit John!!
Quite an edit! ;-) I liked your unedited post.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old October 13th, 2015, 01:21 AM
TELOS's Avatar
TELOS
Status: Offline
Nate
LHD 110 SW - 300Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 188
The economist and perspective Land Rover buyer in me couldn’t keep quiet on this thread. It’s a very interesting topic… just a few cents to add. Transparency can either be a good thing or a bad thing, and it just depends on the market. Price transparency can result in disintermediation which cuts out the middle men because buyer’s are more informed about the supply chain. Basically put, you have to then add value in order to flip a vehicle as it becomes harder to buy and sell for a profit by simply taking advantage of the lack of transparency and information about the supply chain. In my opinion, this would be a good thing. Buy the right rig and hold onto it, or buy a rig and put some value into it with hard work and get compensation for your effort.

The problem with using the real estate market to compare with transparency on a Land Rover forum is that real estate uses comparisons as a big part of valuation. Truecar works for the same reason because new vehicles can easily be compared across dealerships. After Truecar changed their method to cooperate with dealerships and not reveal whenever someone got a great deal, which encourages people to constantly undercut the lowest recorded deal, the method works. With used vehicles, especially vintage vehicles which vary greatly in condition, age, mileage, features, etc cannot be compared so easily. In order to generate valuable comps, you need a much larger sample size.

All that to say, it should work in theory and should result in people buying vehicles for the right reason at fair prices, but I don’t think it would work in this situation. There is not enough volume, too much variation in the vehicles, and too many people trying to flip old Land Rovers by taking advantage of lack of information. Believe me, as a perspective buyer I would love for this thread to exist, but I don’t think it would work as well as we might hope.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old October 13th, 2015, 07:57 AM
mmgcny
Status: Offline
Michael
None
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Garden City, NY, USA
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by TELOS View Post

All that to say, it should work in theory and should result in people buying vehicles for the right reason at fair prices, but I donít think it would work in this situation. There is not enough volume, too much variation in the vehicles, and too many people trying to flip old Land Rovers by taking advantage of lack of information. Believe me, as a perspective buyer I would love for this thread to exist, but I donít think it would work as well as we might hope.
The data that I have supports this. There are two few vehicles on the market, huge variations in the vehicles in terms of condition and specs for the data to be used for anything but reference.

I also think that the types of people who flippers are selling to have no interest in researching the market.
I know lots of people who will overpay just for the convenience. For them doing the research to save 30k or so is not worth it. Same for doing their own work to fix up the truck.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old October 13th, 2015, 08:18 AM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 6,075
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TELOS View Post
The economist and perspective Land Rover buyer in me couldn’t keep quiet on this thread. It’s a very interesting topic… just a few cents to add. Transparency can either be a good thing or a bad thing, and it just depends on the market. Price transparency can result in disintermediation which cuts out the middle men because buyer’s are more informed about the supply chain. Basically put, you have to then add value in order to flip a vehicle as it becomes harder to buy and sell for a profit by simply taking advantage of the lack of transparency and information about the supply chain. In my opinion, this would be a good thing. Buy the right rig and hold onto it, or buy a rig and put some value into it with hard work and get compensation for your effort. The problem with using the real estate market to compare with transparency on a Land Rover forum is that real estate uses comparisons as a big part of valuation. Truecar works for the same reason because new vehicles can easily be compared across dealerships. After Truecar changed their method to cooperate with dealerships and not reveal whenever someone got a great deal, which encourages people to constantly undercut the lowest recorded deal, the method works. With used vehicles, especially vintage vehicles which vary greatly in condition, age, mileage, features, etc cannot be compared so easily. In order to generate valuable comps, you need a much larger sample size. All that to say, it should work in theory and should result in people buying vehicles for the right reason at fair prices, but I don’t think it would work in this situation. There is not enough volume, too much variation in the vehicles, and too many people trying to flip old Land Rovers by taking advantage of lack of information. Believe me, as a perspective buyer I would love for this thread to exist, but I don’t think it would work as well as we might hope.
If I'm following your logic would that also suggest that current owners are likely to suffer from a "market" correction?

That would kinda suck for the guy that did everything he could to find and negotiate a price he was happy with.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old October 13th, 2015, 10:05 AM
vasily's Avatar
vasily
Status: Offline
Vasily
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 732
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
If I'm following your logic would that also suggest that current owners are likely to suffer from a "market" correction?

That would kinda suck for the guy that did everything he could to find and negotiate a price he was happy with.

I love my defender but I don't think of it as an investment. Sure the market might correct and what I thought was a great deal might turn out to be something else, but that's not the point.

I'm happy with my d90 and happy with how the transaction went down. It's a sunk cost now, and since I'm not planning on selling, it doesn't matter anymore.

Sure, I want it to maintain its value or to appreciate, but that's not why I got it.

Having all that said, compared to what happened to my portfolio since I got the defender, not investing those funds does make me feel like a genius.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is Fair Market Price for a Parts D1 ? WBSurfer Misc. Chit-Chat 11 September 8th, 2015 03:59 PM
Opinions Wanted On Current Market Value Mark Anderson Defender Technical Discussions 7 May 28th, 2009 10:55 PM
The Current Defender Market boshea Misc. Chit-Chat 11 August 23rd, 2006 01:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Copyright