cup holders and introduction - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 25th, 2008, 05:21 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

cup holders and introduction

'Lil old Beast-Lee came into my life a few months ago. She came bare bones (no rear seats, running boards etc). Having 3 kids and being a "short shit" (not tall) as I was called in my younger days, these items were important. WIth the help of some members here, I was able to locate the goods needed to turn Beast-Lee into my perfect new life long best friend. I took out the console and put in a center seat. Of course this meant the ever so important cup holders were no longer Anyway, I sent the rig in for a mini "face lift", moved the radio and buttons on to the dash, removed the console and replaced it with the center seat. I also put in 2 inward facing bench seats with harness safety belts for the big kids. Beast-Lee can now safely accommodate 7 people which is a good thing since she is a neighbourhood favourite and all my kids friends call me mom and want to go for rides.
Back to the cup holder problem...As a cyclist I came up with the idea of using bike bottle cages for the coffee, beer and soda cans - zip tied them to various parts of the dash and front seats (see pics and note beer is on passenger side). These work great as you can bend the cages to desired size and nothing falls out, wriggles or squeaks. I picked these up at Performance cycles of $3.99 each - zip ties came free
I also found some running boards and now no longer need to pole vault myself into my seat. Beast-Lee is a work horse - carts horse hay and grain around, has had 3 sheep (all at the same time) in the back. I also had a break box installed for pulling trailers so she will be safe (i read all the trailer postings!!!!) She takes us to the mountains to our favourite swimming hole and she is now helping to teach my 15 year old how to drive a manual - now there is a scary thought. Sad to say I also use her for those dreaded Costco runs. She is a part of the family and my partner in crime I love my lil' Beast-Lee!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 (3).JPG
Views:	164
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	14932   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 (2).JPG
Views:	216
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	14933  

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	14934   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	14935  

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	14936   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	14937  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2008, 05:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Lets see a pic with the sheep!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

She had to trade the sheep to me when she got a center seat.

Looks good Lee!

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

I have seen the pics with the sheep in the back! It is pretty cool to see a Defender in the States used like it would be in bloody England!

By the way, I think Len at American Dirt Roads was making a stainless drink holder that "clipped" onto the dash.

D
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:34 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

as requested pics of the sheep! they travelled in style...after the trip i put the hose to the back and vwoala, Beast-Lee was clean.
My kids all love the center seat. THANKS Jim (i trust you enjoyed the chops ). my youngest thru oldest take turns (fighting over) sitting in the middle to change the gears so even though BL is manual she has her automatic moments - helpful for when i'm eating and hands are occupied. The kids are getting quite good at shifting and my oldest got to drive around the block late the other night - he did great. No grinding or stalling I think he knows that if he messed up he'd be banished to sitting in the dog box.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	14938   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	14939  

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	14940  
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Lee those images are too cool. Dale showed the pictures to me when he sent you some parts.

Those images could have been shot in England or Scotland, ... or even Seattle!

Dendy
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:59 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

That is F-ing Great... Great job on the conversion.

Old August 25th, 2008, 07:36 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

Dendy, i gotta tell you...i LOVE your trailer. Where did you get it? I WANT ONE!!!
On a tow note: I work on my family's sheep farm on the Isle of Man (UK) every year and they throw up to 4 sheep in the back. Instead of fancy bench seats they have lamb boxes for the wee ones. Hell, we've even had some rather nasty smelling dead bloated sheep in the back!!!!!! add to that a huge friggin trailer with up to 4 full sized cows and a couple of calves or 40 to 60 sheep. Hauling such loads is done with ease and all in a days work - up tiny narrow country roads, up hill and down, to town for slaughter or moving livestock from one field to another and all done without fancy break boxes in a diesel D90. not once did i give it a second thought....until reading all the towing threads. Now fear has been struck into my being
Old August 26th, 2008, 11:19 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofman
. THANKS Jim (i trust you enjoyed the chops ). .
The chops are on me, Lee. Everyone around here thinks I am a sheep farmer because of George at RDS. Glad the kids are having fun. Any bikini shots with your defender? Thats a chop, feel free to return the favor

Thing is, any sheep, I have been around- faint like I am Elvis walking in the room! Maybe its the stand up hair-

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Dendy, i gotta tell you...i LOVE your trailer. Where did you get it? I WANT ONE!!!
Well it is, or at least was for sale...

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16897

Old August 26th, 2008, 01:06 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

Jim, sheep farming is a noble career and the sheep are probably falling down as a sign of respect (they see the stand up hair as your crown). I'll be able to tell for certain though if i see a pic of hair? as for the bikini - what bikini??? she's a "hard top"!!!!! I myself don't own a bikini How on earth did this thread go from beverage holders and seats, to chops and bikinis??? By the way, I see you're in Andover... a die hard Landy fan living in Andover...there's a L and R missing in there somewhere.
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleRover
I have seen the pics with the sheep in the back! It is pretty cool to see a Defender in the States used like it would be in bloody England!

By the way, I think Len at American Dirt Roads was making a stainless drink holder that "clipped" onto the dash.

D
That is a great idea to use water cycling bottle holders for your cup holders. If you would like me to fabricate some stainless steel dash clamps to hold them inplace rather than zip ties let me know. In the mean time I have a couple of loose aluminum water bottle holders I can experiment with. I currently use Resin based bottle holders on my mtn bike. At one time I had a titainium bottle holder.... If I used that one I could make the worlds most expensive cup holders!!!

here is a url to my cup holders...

http://www.americandirtroads.com/catcupholders.html

Old August 26th, 2008, 03:54 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Pendy, I'm afraid that sheepfarming was not what George implied you were into.

Old August 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Len you are making some really sweet stuff for the Defenders, keep up the good work
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:50 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Pendy, I'm afraid that sheepfarming was not what George implied you were into.
Does Pendy where his pants tucked into his cowboy boots??

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Len you are making some really sweet stuff for the Defenders, keep up the good work
Thank you, the idea is to make up for the shortcummings of the plastic "release to market quick, fast & cheap" components on the truck and invent some new stuff along the way.

Old August 26th, 2008, 05:06 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

Len, did you just call my cup holders "quick, fast and cheap". That hurt BIG. Actually I do like your cup holders. Very cool. I think you should come up with a black cup hugger to blend in with the dashboard. The shiny cup just doesn't do it for me. The sheep and horse shit will show up too easily.
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:30 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett

Registry
Quote:
Len, did you just call my cup holders "quick, fast and cheap". That hurt BIG. Actually I do like your cup holders. Very cool. I think you should come up with a black cup hugger to blend in with the dashboard. The shiny cup just doesn't do it for me. The sheep and horse shit will show up too easily.
No, Actually I was referring to all of the plastic OEM stuff... you have a very good innovative idea.... I wish I had thunk it first! Alot of my stuff gets painted flat black per customer requests.... but flat black does not photograph well and you don't see the detail in the product so .... I show most of it in buffed stainless finish.

Old August 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
You got any ideas for a cupholder for the non soft/DiscoI dash RRC's?
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM
isleofman
Lee Davis
'95 D90 "BeastLee"

send me some pics of the dash (haven't taken a close up look at one lately). i'll see what my al cheapo brain can come up with until Len designs something fancier for you!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat