Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 27th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Cross Lander Hits Import Snag

Quote:
Weíve been waiting for the Romanian Cross Lander SUV to hit the states for years. That it was the favored ride of an ex-(ecuted) Eastern European dictator, or that its technologies havenít been current since Wolfman Jack last guest-hosted the Dick Cavett Show are less important to us than its sub $20,000 price tag and English-country looks. Weíre also touched by a company whose employees are so loyal, they offered to donate their sperm in exchange for money to pay back millions in company debt. Unfortunately, with the SUVís importer having trouble getting the four-wheeled time machine federalized for the US market, thereís never been a better time for a sperm drive than right now.
From here

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/ne...rt-snag-105164

More info here

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...uto-194513.htm

Doesn't look like it will be hitting the streets in the US any time soon. And I didn't think they could get away with not having air bags even with a weight over 5500k? But it looks like they can as long as production is under 10k vehicals a year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2005, 09:18 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

It's no problem Mike, Just go buy an early 80's Land Cruiser and you have the exact same vehicle.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL ther's an old FJ sitting on the side of the road from me for $800, but I think I'll pass
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:44 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

from the second link:
"...I don't see why hunters or anyone else would use this. Those are dangerous driving conditions (off road). You can easily hit a tree or roll the vehicle. You want air bags to be available," said Laura MacCleery, Public Citizen's counsel for auto safety..."

You gotta have airbags offroad... gotta have 'em.

Fellow D90 members... Please watch out for trees.

Nicholas

Old May 27th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yeah I hit a tree once, it was awful! The situation ended with everyone laughing when I came out of the mud a little too fast, slid into a tree and pivoted around the tree on the ARB comming to a stop.
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by norros

from the second link:
"...Laura MacCleery, Public Citizen's counsel for auto safety..."

LOL... I wonder if she's ever been off-road, outside of fire roads and the occassional mall parking lot curbs?

Old May 27th, 2005, 12:53 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

Hitting a tree would be minor compared to that wonderful smack in the face from the air bag, it would end the laughter real quick!! I think air bags are great, at highway speeds. I have a few relatives that would probably not be here today if they did not exist, but who barrels through the woods at 65mph.
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

I dunno guys...I feel pretty touched that somebody like Laura with Public Citizen is looking out for me. I mean, I never really noticed before just how dangerous those trees have become lately.
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:52 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
We can either sit idly by while trees get bigger and bigger every year - or we can take action - automotive safety technology is mainly driven by the ever increasing size of trees.
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Boy, and everybody always thought loggers were the bad guys. Turns out they were the army of jedi protecting the safety of the rest of us.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 29th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
We can either sit idly by while trees get bigger and bigger every year - or we can take action - automotive safety technology is mainly driven by the ever increasing size of trees.

I very rarely laugh outloud at something I see online. This one made my wife come in and ask what I was laughing at.
Old May 29th, 2005, 01:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm just thankful that people like Laura MacCleery provide a blanket of safety for slugs like me to sleep under. Never before in human history have so many uninformed morons owed so much to so few agenda driven activists.

If they really want to import the Crosslaner, Wal-Mart should make it a store-brand. It would fit right along with all the other off-shore shoddy goods that they sell, and Wal-Mart could import it with impunity as the corporate demons danced little hulas all over Federal Law, grass-roots do-gooders, and moral-ethical standards.
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:39 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Those trees just sneak right up on you don't they? If somebody isn't wearing their seatbelt and manages to hit a tree off road fast enough to kill himself, I have no sympathy for him or her. I think tank-like structural integrity will save you more than airbags, at least off road.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:30 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
This is all odd, as I received an email update from Lokey Crosslander last night with this:
Quote:
We just returned from the National Cross Lander Dealer Meeting in Key Largo, Fl. While there we had the privilege to see and drive the exciting new Cross Lander 244X model. Let me just say that we are extremely happy with the vehicle and the Manufacturer. We should be receiving our first shipments late November or early December, so get your name on the list if you havenít already. They will sell out fast each month. If you would like more info on this Vehicle, Contact Randy Welter in our sales department at 813-879-5637. He would be glad to talk with you much more in depth about the vehicle.
And the enclosed pic:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Cross.bmp (402.7 KB, 112 views)
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:37 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Man that thing looks like a Land Cruizer Gwagon!
Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Agreed. If the people in the background weren't wearing what they are, I would think that picture was taken in the 70's.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 10:01 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I also see a little bit of Bronco and an early Jeep Grand Cherokee. Nevertheless... I think it's fugly.

Old July 8th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

More news

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...90410&DARTmail
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:41 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
mall parking lot curbs?
lol Glenn. I think my wife Curb crawles at the mall in her car sometimes. She has taken out the underside of her BMW 330 front bumper twice already Maybe Matt at Rockware can build me a front bumper for it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
import