Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:47 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
VirtualBox, homie.
This. Works just fine on my MBP in a debian VM.

I looked at getting it to compile on OS X, but it's just not worth the effort when it runs fine virtualized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:24 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90_982 View Post
Down_shift - done. Let me know if you want to size up.
Sure thing, I'm game to size up. Just sent you a PM. Let me know.
Jimmy, will need a picture of four birds crossing the Mississippi when r00ling into Chicago, please. .
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:16 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

I'm in for 20 bones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
To make it more interesting, the 4 of you should go out on the town and to a party it up tonight. Most hung over drives the first leg.

-Jeff
We are all flying to Seattle tomorrow after work (leaving work a little early. We'll be getting to Seattle around midnight pacific time, so we'll probably go straight to bed. We decided to spend a full day and second night in Seattle, so I imagine we'll be doing a good bit of drinking on Saturday night!
Old March 6th, 2014, 08:48 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Doesn't a board member out there own a distillery or a pub of some sort?
Old March 6th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Doesn't a board member out there own a distillery or a pub of some sort?
Close, but you are thinking of Ryan in Portland.

Though if they want to come over to Gig Harbor we can introduce them to the local brewery, burger place, and a shop full of Defender parts and projects…

The weather should hold out for the next couple days with a "dry" spell, so it should be a good day in Seattle at least.
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Close, but you are thinking of Ryan in Portland.

Though if they want to come over to Gig Harbor we can introduce them to the local brewery, burger place, and a shop full of Defender parts and projects…

The weather should hold out for the next couple days with a "dry" spell, so it should be a good day in Seattle at least.
I would love to do that, but I think its going to be too far out of the way. I actually was going to try to get you to look over the truck, but Lamorna Garage was much closer and already used by the seller.
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
I would love to do that, but I think its going to be too far out of the way. I actually was going to try to get you to look over the truck, but Lamorna Garage was much closer and already used by the seller.
We are less than an hour out of Seattle - but that said Lamorna is a good shop.

Snell and a couple other guys will be out working on the Tithonus project this weekend if you are so inclined to swing over. If it's nightlife and sights you are after downtown Seattle is the right way to spend the day, we are more of the quiet scenic small town kinda place. Enjoy Seattle and email me if you need recommendations or help with anything.

brian@defendersnw.com
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Squaretyre
Landan
94 d90

Registry
Weather is looking better on this end, last week was miserable. More snow tomorrow but warm and rest of week good.
If passing through this way, let us know, well either way it would be fun to track your trek.

Best of luck regardless!
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:09 AM
SURVEYOR
Dennis Saltys
97 D-90 LE #290

Seattle watering holes, restaurants and clubs.

Pioneer Square area
Belltown area

For an eclectic crowd

Broadway on Capitol Hill
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:20 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I'm on the plane to Seattle right now. Our flight from Richmond was delayed, so we ended up with a 10 minute layover in Chicago. We sprinted for what seemed like 5 miles in the Chicago airport, but we made our flight. In hindsight, beer and nachos was not a good pre-flight choice in Richmond. I'll post some pics of the truck once I have it tomorrow!
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:45 AM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

Feeling good on my bet.
Old March 8th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Not a good pre-flight choice? Are you kidding me? That sets the tone for the trip!

-Jeff
Maybe they can convert the 90 to run on "natural gas"??

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:23 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Awesome
Old March 8th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I picked up the Defender around 11 this morning. It was better than I expected. I didn't look around it too much since its been pouring down rain all day. We had to drive all over the city to get an extension for the trailer hitch rack, but finally got it. It has two issues that could become bigger problems. The first one is that the starter is making some funny noises, but I have a spare, so I'm not too worried about it. The second, which is a big one, is the coolant temperature gauge doesn't work. I'm not going to try to diagnose it in the rain, but I'll look at it tomorrow evening in Idaho. Here's a crappy rainy pic I took in the Walmart parking lot.

Old March 8th, 2014, 09:12 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I picked up the Defender around 11 this morning. It was better than I expected. I didn't look around it too much since its been pouring down rain all day. We had to drive all over the city to get an extension for the trailer hitch rack, but finally got it. It has two issues that could become bigger problems. The first one is that the starter is making some funny noises, but I have a spare, so I'm not too worried about it. The second, which is a big one, is the coolant temperature gauge doesn't work. I'm not going to try to diagnose it in the rain, but I'll look at it tomorrow evening in Idaho. Here's a crappy rainy pic I took in the Walmart parking lot.
Two things:

1) I'm *pretty* sure I told you to get an extension for the hitch basket...in fact, I showed you mine her at the house and told you the length! Wait, that doesn't sound right - but it is the truth .

2) I literally just had an issue with my temp gauge being intermittent (more often not working than working). Keep in mind the dash gauges all share the same ground, so chances are that if the other gauges are working than it's not the ground - though worth pulling the gauge cluster out a bit and looking at it (ground is on the middle thumb-screw thingy). There are then 2 other wires on the back, the driverside wire on the gauge is the sender wire, and the driverside wire is the 12v. See if you have 12v, and if you do I'd just check the wire at the sender unit under the hood. That's where mine went bad, ended up being a break in the wire...I spliced it (this afternoon as a matter of fact) and it's back in business. Honestly it's rare for the gauge or sender to go bad.

Really doubt it's going to be a show-stopper and I'm sure you'll get the gauge back up and running. If you have a multimeter with you, you can put a probe on the end of the wire at the cluster and there's enough slack to get it on the end of the wire at the sender (which is what I did with mine). When it toned out it mine was in-and-out so I knew there was a connection issue. Very worst case scenario, pick up some extra wire (if you dont have any with you) and run a new lead either from 12v to the gauge or the gauge to the sender to test (or both).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 8th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Two things:

1) I'm *pretty* sure I told you to get an extension for the hitch basket...in fact, I showed you mine her at the house and told you the length! Wait, that doesn't sound right - but it is the truth .

2) I literally just had an issue with my temp gauge being intermittent (more often not working than working). Keep in mind the dash gauges all share the same ground, so chances are that if the other gauges are working than it's not the ground - though worth pulling the gauge cluster out a bit and looking at it (ground is on the middle thumb-screw thingy). There are then 2 other wires on the back, the driverside wire on the gauge is the sender wire, and the driverside wire is the 12v. See if you have 12v, and if you do I'd just check the wire at the sender unit under the hood. That's where mine went bad, ended up being a break in the wire...I spliced it (this afternoon as a matter of fact) and it's back in business. Honestly it's rare for the gauge or sender to go bad.

Really doubt it's going to be a show-stopper and I'm sure you'll get the gauge back up and running. If you have a multimeter with you, you can put a probe on the end of the wire at the cluster and there's enough slack to get it on the end of the wire at the sender (which is what I did with mine). When it toned out it mine was in-and-out so I knew there was a connection issue. Very worst case scenario, pick up some extra wire (if you dont have any with you) and run a new lead either from 12v to the gauge or the gauge to the sender to test (or both).
I knew I needed an extension, but my plan was to buy one in Seattle when I bought the hitch rack. The Walmart in Richmond has trailer hitch extensions, Seattle Walmart did not. In fact, no trailer hitch store had one. Thankfully, Harbor freight did.

I'm going to try to get that gauge fixed tomorrow. I'd be surprised if the gauge was the problem. I haven't looked at the wiring diagram at all, but doesn't the temperature sending unit go through the fuel injection ECU?
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:31 PM
jrose609
Jason Rose
1983 110 County 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
I'm not going to try to diagnose it in the rain, but I'll look at it tomorrow evening in Idaho. Here's a crappy rainy pic I took in the Walmart parking lot.

Looks great.

Still going northern route to Idaho or southern route?
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Really good looking truck I'll be following along, have a great trip!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90, trip