Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 15th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Not that any seat is particularly comfortable for a cross country voyage, but I feel sorry for the rear seat passengers!

Wheres the luggage and fuel cans going with that many bodies?
Backpacks will go in the Pelican case on a trailer hitch rack that I'll buy once I'm in Seattle. I'm not sure about the Jerry can. I just bought a NATO Jerry can and spout from the military surplus place in town.

The back seat is going to suck, but fortunately for me, I won't be spending much time back there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2014, 04:11 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Backpacks will go in the Pelican case on a trailer hitch rack that I'll buy once I'm in Seattle. I'm not sure about the Jerry can. I just bought a NATO Jerry can and spout from the military surplus place in town. The back seat is going to suck, but fortunately for me, I won't be spending much time back there.
You might try to buy an extension for that rear hitch rack otherwise it's going to tough opening the back door for your buddies to get in.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 15th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
You might try to buy an extension for that rear hitch rack otherwise it's going to tough opening the back door for your buddies to get in.

Clay
I figured I would need one anyway to clear the spare tire, especially since it is a wider than stock tire that has been mounted backwards on the rear door. Those tires are going to have to go as soon as i get back. I've also got a set of Boosts waiting for it when I get home.

------ Follow up post added February 15th, 2014 04:18 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Im telling ya, a super siphon is way easier and cleaner than any spout.

-Jeff
I think I'm going to need one of those. Looks like a pretty cheap and clever piece of kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 15th, 2014, 04:42 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

The main REI in Seattle's pretty neat; might pick up your hitch mounted rack there.
Old February 15th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:

...I've also got a set of Boosts waiting for it when I get home....
Dear God no...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old February 15th, 2014, 07:19 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Dear God no...
Take solace in the fact that he may be moving to NYC, and of course Boosts are a prerequisite.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 15th, 2014, 10:00 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Take solace in the fact that he may be moving to NYC, and of course Boosts are a prerequisite.
He'll be attending boost club inauguration on Tuesday ..
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:57 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Sounds like an epic trip and one you'll always remember! Be sure the guys riding in the back bring plenty of warm clothes and boots!! We drove our 110 up to Alaska a couple of years ago and the cold temps really kill the heaters ability to keep the back of the cabin warm - The front was tolerable, but certainly not very warm! I could set a drink just behind our center console, and it would almost freeze!

Extra relays for fuel and wipers are good to have. Fuel stops aren't a huge problem, as long as you don't pass to many by. The extension for your hitch is definitely a must have so you can get into the back easily while the hauler is on the back.

Lots of photos are a must for a trip like this, so be sure to have a decent camera with you, along with a smartpone, for easy photos to download along the way for us to see!! i love a good roadtrip!!!
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:23 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
And here i was thinking good thoughts and trying to help him.... -Jeff
We are giving him the motivation to get here safe and sound ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:28 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Try this on Google Maps:

Boise -> Albuquerque, NM -> Little Rock -> home

That takes you through SLC and Moab, along with the Four Corners area. It also takes you on I-40 which generally is very clear in the winter east of Albuquerque.

Now, if you drive that route and you're doing well on time, consider some of these detours:

1. From Salt Lake, head up to Park City, UT and then east on US 40 through Vernal. Head south on CO 64 -> CO 139 through Rangely to Grand Junction. That's a really neat road through some pretty high desert country around the Uintah Basin.

2. Or, go from SLC to Moab as normal. Stop at Milt's in Moab for burgers. Almost no tourists know about Milt's because it's not on the main drag but it's totally awesome. South of Moab on 191, turn at La Sal Junction onto UT 46 -> CO 90 -> CO 145 to Telluride. Moab to Telluride via this route is my single-most favorite paved road drive in the US. From Telluride, you can either book it south to Cortez via Rico or for an adventure, drive US550 over the passes through Ouray and Silverton. Bring your bathing suits and stop at the awesome hot springs in Ouray (open year round). Dinner at Serious Texas BBQ or Steamworks Brewery in Durango, CO. From Durango, go east to Pagosa Springs, up and over Wolf Creek Pass and on to Walsenburg, CO where you can haul ass east on US 50.

3. Take the time and figure out how to go through McCall, ID. If you take I-84 through Idaho, you're doing yourselves a disservice. It is an incredibly gorgeous state but I-84 is the worst.

4. When you go through Albuquerque, you absolutely must stop at El Patio De Albuquerque for dinner or lunch. Best NM cooking in town.

/
/
/
/
Old February 16th, 2014, 08:56 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
WIPERS! Make sure you have a back up plan for wipers. My ds wiper completely failed in route to Wintergreen this weekend during blizzard conditions. No fun. I'd bring a set of wheel houses, brake clean to get rid of old factory grease that has turned to wax and spindle thingamajigs. Clay
Here's what happens to factory installed wiper wheel boxes over time. The grease turns to a tacky waxy substance. Especially when the temps are low. I'm pulling mine and replacing them but before doing so I am going to clean out all factory OEM grease and replace with something more reliable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1967184754.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	477.9 KB
ID:	89762  

Old February 18th, 2014, 10:47 PM
D90_982
Chad
1994 ST #982 (SOLD)

Is there a Vegas line yet on how many of the 4 make it east of the Mississippi in those jump seats?
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90_982 View Post
Is there a Vegas line yet on how many of the 4 make it east of the Mississippi in those jump seats?
I'll be impressed if the truck makes it that far!
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:30 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I'll be impressed if the truck makes it that far!
Curious, what spare parts are you bringing?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 19th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Curious, what spare parts are you bringing?
Only things that would be relatively easy to change on the side of the road in the cold that would likely not be available at Pep Boys ect.. I'm bring silver relays, a starter, and an alternator if I still have a spare. I'm also going to bring whatever random 14CUx sensors I have lying around. I may bring a spare water pump, but I don't think I'd do that on the side of the road, I hate doing those at the dealership... I'll have to go through my spare parts bin and see what else I have that I may need. I don't mind buying new parts if something breaks, but after being a mechanic, I don't know if I can justify paying someone else to fix my truck.
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
are you back yet or what ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 20th, 2014, 12:09 AM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

I'd take fan belts with me.

Also if you need anything in Chicago let me know I live in the NW Burbs and work on the Northside. Be glad to lend a hand or meet up for lunch.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old February 20th, 2014, 06:09 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90_982 View Post
Jimmy looks like a resourceful guy and thinking he would not hang with dudes who would wuss out. Here is $20 that the group will make it east of the Mississippi intact. Any takers?
Old February 20th, 2014, 08:34 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

I hope they're going south. We're expecting 10" of new snow west of Des Moines today.
Old February 20th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
are you back yet or what ?
We're flying out to Seattle March 7th to start the journey.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90, trip