Cross country road trip in a D90 with four people - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 14th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

If you need a place to crash or stuff in Elko, NV let me know.

Taking Chris's suggested route (the south route) and go through mountain home, ID to Elko, NV and get on I-80 from there. Then take secret pass over the Rubies to Ely, NV and continue through to Caliente, NV to get over towards Zion. Lots of old neat mining relics there near Caliente and also cathedral gorge is near there. Nice camp spots and some cool walks that are short at cathedral gorge and they are near the camp ground.

Welcome to stay in Elko (if we are around when you come through) and turns out I have lots of 1994 3.9 spare parts at the moment.
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2014, 04:16 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Hell, if you pass through the Memphis or North Mississippi area, we can go have a throw down at my hunting cabin. Might even get a chance to shoot some hogs!
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
If I were doing this drive (and I did the part between Seattle and Texas), I would do it like this:

Seattle -> Enterprise, OR -> McCall, ID -> Boise, ID -> back roads to... -> Salt Lake City -> Moab -> Telluride via Hwy 46 -> Silverton -> Durango -> Pagosa -> a bunch of boring shit -> Virginia
That sounds like an awesome route, except that would take us wayyy longer. We had planned on making it back to Richmond friday night, but we could be back as late as sunday afternoon. We all have work, and I've taken most of my vacation already this year for a European trip.

I'm looking more into a more southern route now...

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Lots of good info for me to take in. I'll keep everyone up to date with my planning as it continues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2014, 07:42 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Some slightly more southern routes suck in winter. I like I-80 better than I-70 in winter. Mostly because I-70 has higher elevations, it seems to get more snow even though is further south.
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
defender.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001KY...ef_=pd_sim_t_6

Dont forget this!!
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:23 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Jimmy this is awesome! Wish I had the time and nuts to do this in my D90. Looking forward to seeing picture updates along the way. We will have to plan another happy hour soon.
Best of luck on the adventure, travel safe!
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:43 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Go south. I've done Denver to Spokane in the winter. Cold, dark and dreary.
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:04 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Go south. I've done Denver to Spokane in the winter. Cold, dark and dreary.
You must have taken the secret route through Mordor and Middle Earth.
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Some slightly more southern routes suck in winter. I like I-80 better than I-70 in winter. Mostly because I-70 has higher elevations, it seems to get more snow even though is further south.
I think I read that they frequently shut I70 down all together. Is I70 bad east of Denver?

If we go a southern route, we would likely want to spend two nights is Nashville. I have a family friend there, and we are all musicians, so it would be a good place for us to visit.

What do you guys think of this route? Our goal would be to make it back by Friday, or Saturday if needed.
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

That's a much better route...and lots of D90 guys on it!
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:30 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
WIPERS! Make sure you have a back up plan for wipers. My ds wiper completely failed in route to Wintergreen this weekend during blizzard conditions. No fun. I'd bring a set of wheel houses, brake clean to get rid of old factory grease that has turned to wax and spindle thingamajigs.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 15th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Yeah but don't call them "thingamajigs" they'll charge you more...I speak from experience! http://www.roversnorth.com/Items.aspx?code=195&key=cat
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:02 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

last time i did the northern I-90 route (in a 92 Porsche) it snowed in Montana about 18" overnight. That was in may. March is prime winter time so just to be not he safe side i would throw in a set of chains with your gear. You may not ever need them but some of those passes get snowed in.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
WIPERS! Make sure you have a back up plan for wipers. My ds wiper completely failed in route to Wintergreen this weekend during blizzard conditions. No fun. I'd bring a set of wheel houses, brake clean to get rid of old factory grease that has turned to wax and spindle thingamajigs.

Clay
The current owner is taking the Defender to Lamorna Garage in Seattle to have it looked over and fluids changed. He asked what I wanted done, and checking wheel bearings was on my list.
Old February 15th, 2014, 11:30 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Id take the cut off from Laramie, WY down through Fort Collins and Denver if you have time to stop in the area.

Having driven every route that runs laterally across CONUS too many times to count, theres not much scenery on the plains so Denver is like the last Rocky Mountain hoorah before miles of boring.

And take up Chris Snell's advice! The back route into central Idaho offers once in a lifetime scenery and big country. You go through the deepest canyon in North America (whitewater river jet boating if you can get the chance), skirt around the largest wilderness in the lower 48, skiing around McCall (ive got a cabin there) skirt along the home of whitewater rafting on the Payette River, to Boise (decent downtown), and then back on track to either from Salt Lake City to I80 or I70. Oh, and you could visit Park City there as well as the Browning headquarters in Morgan, Utah. Youd see a loy of Big Game along this route, but it should only be done in good weather.

Good luck with the trip. I only did Tampa to central Georgia on my "pick-up" trip and I was nervous. And that was with a chase vehicle.

Definitely take 10 extra gallons of gas for west of the Miss!
Old February 15th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Any pics of the truck?

-Jeff
Here is the original for sale ad.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=35731

------ Follow up post added February 15th, 2014 12:31 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
Id take the cut off from Laramie, WY down through Fort Collins and Denver if you have time to stop in the area.

Having driven every route that runs laterally across CONUS too many times to count, theres not much scenery on the plains so Denver is like the last Rocky Mountain hoorah before miles of boring.

And take up Chris Snell's advice! The back route into central Idaho offers once in a lifetime scenery and big country. You go through the deepest canyon in North America (whitewater river jet boating if you can get the chance), skirt around the largest wilderness in the lower 48, skiing around McCall (ive got a cabin there) skirt along the home of whitewater rafting on the Payette River, to Boise (decent downtown), and then back on track to either from Salt Lake City to I80 or I70. Oh, and you could visit Park City there as well as the Browning headquarters in Morgan, Utah. Youd see a loy of Big Game along this route, but it should only be done in good weather.

Good luck with the trip. I only did Tampa to central Georgia on my "pick-up" trip and I was nervous. And that was with a chase vehicle.

Definitely take 10 extra gallons of gas for west of the Miss!
I would love to take Chris's advice, but we just don't have that much time. I get three weeks of paid vacation, and I've already used two. We basically will have time to spend a full day in one place. We're open to options other than Nashville, but I think everyone would enjoy it, and we have a free place to stay with lots of guitars.

------ Follow up post added February 15th, 2014 12:34 PM ------

Also, anyone have any recommendations for Jerry cans? I saw some at Harbour Freight today, but then looked at Amazon and saw they had all 1 star reviews.
Old February 15th, 2014, 12:59 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Nice!

I assume you are flying into SeaTac and buying some cans in Seattle? Id just get cheapos that dont vent in bags so that you dont have to smell fuel unless you have a plan on strapping them to the outside. Or have some non-CARBs imported from 4 hours north and waiting for you somehow!

I dont know if you are into the grunge rock scene, but Seattle is pretty cool nontheless. Nashville was amazing when I lived there as well. You probably have that angle figured out though.
Old February 15th, 2014, 01:11 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Not that any seat is particularly comfortable for a cross country voyage, but I feel sorry for the rear seat passengers!

Wheres the luggage and fuel cans going with that many bodies?
Old February 15th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymmiejamz View Post

also, anyone have any recommendations for jerry cans? I saw some at harbour freight today, but then looked at amazon and saw they had all 1 star reviews.
rotopax!
Old February 15th, 2014, 03:19 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
Yeah but don't call them "thingamajigs" they'll charge you more...I speak from experience! http://www.roversnorth.com/Items.aspx?code=195&key=cat
Just did a little price checking and found Rovers Down South has much better pricing. Genuine wheel boxes for $30/each vs RN $80
and thingamajig a for $7/each vs RN $17.

Calling George Monday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90, trip