Crazy defender prices???? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 26th, 2015, 08:42 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Id agree with Bill. Id rather an unrestored clean titled NAS then a restored salvage.. You can aways restore it later but a salvage title is forever compromised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2015, 10:11 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
This is kinda funny since this board pretty much was originally dedicated to people cutting wheels arches, opening up hood holes, installing three-link units, etc. basically anything but keeping NAS trucks original...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 26th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Huh...I always thought there was a healthy mix of both. Most days it's a healthy balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2015, 10:34 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
What was the average price of an NAS truck back then? I think its like any classic vehicle... people modified the hell out of them years ago but now when you see the prices unmolested examples bring its not in your best interest to mess with them.. thats what ROW trucks are for.
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:01 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
What was the average price of an NAS truck back then? I think its like any classic vehicles... people modified the hell out of them years ago but now when you see the prices unmolested examples bring its not in your best interest to mess with them.. thats what ROW trucks are for.
This - think of what guys did to muscle cars in the 70's.
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:02 AM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
What was the average price of an NAS truck back then? I think its like any classic vehicles... people modified the hell out of them years ago but now when you see the prices unmolested examples bring its not in your best interest to mess with them.. thats what ROW trucks are for.

haha, untill the ROW trucks are getting 'grazy' prices... and then we are back to where this topic started with.
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:23 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

There is obviously a cost/benefit line with regards to clean versus salvage on NAS trucks. Sure anyone can find exceptions, but pulling selling info on an ECR full rebuild and a well maintined, limited number Beluga ST are those exceptions. I don't even know why some are arguing why a salvage is just as valuable as a clean title. At a certain point, of course a well rebuilt, documented, and maintained salvage NAS is going to be worth more than a clean titled Alpine White SW NAS with high miles and issues. Both of those example trucks would have sold for considerably more had they not had a branded title. File this under one of those "no sh!t" folders....
Old May 26th, 2015, 11:36 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
you mean this folder?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captain Obvious HotelsCom.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	121601  
Old May 26th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1st View Post
That's an extreme example. An ECR NAS 110 probably has no original parts on it and spent 2 years getting restored.

Take a 2 identical, non restored 1993 NAS trucks. One has a Salvage title and the other clean and see which sells for more. I'll take the clean title.

My preference is a clean ROW truck. Then I can do whatever I want to it. If I had a clean NAS truck I'd want to keep it original. The only caveat to this is a salvage NAS truck. Then you can do whatever you want also like what you posted.
I agree. Between similar condition trucks I think we can all agree the one with a clean title is worth more, but regardless of title status a nice truck is still valuable.

I also agree a clean titled NAS truck should be left alone, or at least not receive too many non-reversible modifications. That is what's appealing about salvage titled NAS trucks, since it's already taken a hit you can do pretty much whatever you want to it, like have ECR turn it into a 110 beach runner or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I could be wrong but I think that was his point. A well documented clean build can still sell for high dollar even if the title says salvage.

And I totally agree on your thinking about the UK/ROW trucks and doing as you want. I also feel like at this point the NAS vehicles should stay original or close to it.
Totally my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I agreed to disagree, many here would rather a "proper" NAS titled no fuss in need of love D90/110 than a primo restored salvage for similar money. Do a poll, I may be wrong...

(or I maybe am confused about your point. I've re-read and can't thumb down what you're saying. I attribute it to weak coffee...)
Don nailed it. No offense Bill I hope.
Old May 26th, 2015, 12:44 PM
whitelandy33
Pecos
hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
This is kinda funny since this board pretty much was originally dedicated to people cutting wheels arches, opening up hood holes, installing three-link units, etc. basically anything but keeping NAS trucks original...
Agreed...back in the day.
Old May 26th, 2015, 01:06 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
I miss those days. Not that the value of NAS trucks is gonna stop me from hacking mine up.
Old May 26th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Yeah, why not? There's no reason we should all be purists and title snobs, unless we're so shallow that our prime objective is to get rich selling an all-original truck for a million dollars in the year 2050. I say it's your truck so do whatever you want to it, and if someone gets their panties all in a wad, who cares. Besides, these trucks in stock form do have some shortcomings, so if you can improve it, all the better.
Old May 26th, 2015, 01:17 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Yeah, why not? There's no reason we should all be purists and title snobs, unless we're so shallow that our prime objective is to get rich selling an all-original truck for a million dollars in the year 2050. I say it's your truck so do whatever you want to it, and if someone gets their panties all in a wad, who cares. Besides, these trucks in stock form do have some shortcomings, so if you can improve it, all the better.
Exactly, by the time I were to sell my NAS truck, find a decent LHD ROW truck, or convert a RHD over, I'm basically right back where I started.

I've often said the NAS trucks were the worst of the Defenders made.
Old May 26th, 2015, 02:34 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle View Post
I've often said the NAS trucks were the worst of the Defenders made.
Interesting comment.

Is it the 3.9/4.0 V8 or the unobtanium soft top roll bar material that does it in?
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:13 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
If you'd like to talk facts, we can. This salvage NAS 90 recently sold for $34,803. This salvage NAS 110 is currently listed at $184,999 with bids currently at $110,100. Clearly people don't seem to mind a little title blemish on an otherwise nice truck.
Just who is the domestic market for the NAS 110 rebuilt as a Puma and for all practical purposes IS a Puma with a SD cage and NAS plaque?
Safe to assume the original VIN melted. I wonder how common it is for LRNA to pump out replacements.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Puma NAS110.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	121635   Click image for larger version

Name:	NAS110.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	121644  

Name:	NAS110 VIN.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	121645  
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:19 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It only takes a handful. I find I don't really know anyone like that, but this stuff ends up being low-end play money compared to the prices that these people are paying for their toys.

Old May 26th, 2015, 03:22 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
It only takes a handful. I find I don't really know anyone like that, but this stuff ends up being low-end play money compared to the prices that these people are paying for their toys.
And just how does it get registered without threat of being scooped up by the Feds?
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It never makes sense to me. If you are rich, go over to Europe and by a brand new truck. Bring it over on a one year permit, then send it back to your Chateau.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
And just how does it get registered without threat of being scooped up by the Feds?
It was built from parts. Not necessarily legit from an EPA stand-point, but neither are a vast majority of hot rods built here in the US. There are still many jurisdictions who do not even enforce emissions rules of any kind, not even safety inspections. Some even have rules which run counter to EPA. Washington state allows you to fill out an affidavit at the DMV and change the type of engine on your title for gas to diesel.

Old May 26th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Just who is the domestic market for the NAS 110 rebuilt as a Puma and for all practical purposes IS a Puma with a SD cage and NAS plaque?
Safe to assume the original VIN melted. I wonder how common it is for LRNA to pump out replacements.
I bet if LRNA knew it was rebuilt as a Puma they would revoke it...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender