Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:07 PM
ionfender
IO
94 NAS D90, #1379 (SOLD)

Registry
Do you know this NAS D90?

Hi - I'm new to Defender Source, but I'm here because a reputable person I talked with highly recommend that I post my question about a D90 I'm looking to purchase.

The vehicle is an Alpine White 1994 NAS soft top. Currently has 92,000 miles.
The VIN# is: SALDV2286RA942863
Badge# is: 1379

Could you please message me if you know anything about the history of this vehicle?

So far everything about the vehicle seems to check out properly. Clean Carfax and Autocheck report. I've looked at the vehicle over FaceTime...observed all of the typical problem areas and everything looks good so far. BUT I still need to see it in person.

For the first 10 years of its life it lived in Utah, then a about a year in Georgia (sold at auction), then to California for about a year, and since 2008 has been in Pennsylvania.

It doesn't appear to have been off-roaded, but it currently has a 4 inch lift. So the 4 inch lift has me scratching my head a bit.

Again, anything you know about the history of the vehicle would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my long rant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:41 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Post some pics. 4" sounds like a bit much but wouldn't necessarily deter me.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:42 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Ahh... we just spoke on the phone haha. If you want to post some photos of the suspension on here we may be able to figure out what they have under it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:48 PM
ionfender
IO
94 NAS D90, #1379 (SOLD)

Registry
Great suggestion, Josh! I should have done that right away. Here are the pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhiteD90.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	122176

Name:	2WhiteD90.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	122177

Name:	3WhiteD90.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	122178
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:49 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Truck was on craigslist awhile ago. Truck looked clean except for the retarded lift.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:50 PM
ionfender
IO
94 NAS D90, #1379 (SOLD)

Registry
Hey Zach! - Unfortunately I don't have pics of the suspension parts. I might be able to get some though.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:52 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I cannot understand that much lift on an otherwise very stock truck...
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:00 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If you buy it, please don't ruin it by ditching the tickford.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:10 PM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
That is in the Pittsburgh / Western PA region. Has been on and off CL for a year. I agree that once you ditch the lift, you have a very nice truck.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:42 PM
ionfender
IO
94 NAS D90, #1379 (SOLD)

Registry
Barry f - Please help out a Defender newbie...why do you like the Tickford?
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:52 PM
vtlandrover
Frank
1991 200Tdi 110 Hicap

I'll chime in here about the Tickford... for me, I was introduced to the soft-top Defender in Land Rover Owner magazines and the like and they were all ROW trucks with canvases just like my '70 IIA. Then, when the '94 was introduced to the U.S., it was unlike anything else I had seen. The soft-top had elements of the ROW trucks (alpine windows, roll-up sides), but - at the time - a modern look. Still my favorite top and why I sourced a NOS for my '94 this past winter.

Having said that, if you're looking for ease and convenience over aesthetics (i.e. function over form), it's *p r o b a b l y* not the best choice. Especially if you're going to run it in cold weather. Nothing more of a thumb-breaker than trying to snap the top down on a raw, cold, rainy day.

P.S. That's a fine looking '94!
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:23 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
With these trucks you are supposed to buy then learn. What's the fun in learning then buying?
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:30 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Truck values are going up and originality is key. Only 94 had the tickford and most have ditched it.

To find a truck that hasn't had a belt rail installed is really nice. If I could find one like that I would rather it then my set up which is badger.

With that said if you have a belt rail kit the badger top is your best option.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what is the suspension a 2" with spacers? im not as good as i used to be but that looks like my truck did when i did the OME suspension and 265's maybe those are 285's but its a little deceiving with those tires.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:48 PM
ionfender
IO
94 NAS D90, #1379 (SOLD)

Registry
All - Appreciate the thoughts on the top. I didn't realize the tickford was specific to 94.

Phillip - Yes, the tires are 285. Not sure yet about the make-up of the lift kit.

Raub - You're probably right that I should jump and then learn to swim. However, I have this uncanny ability to analysis something to death. I'm working on that...
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:53 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionfender View Post
All - Appreciate the thoughts on the top. I didn't realize the tickford was specific to 94.

Phillip - Yes, the tires are 285. Not sure yet about the make-up of the lift kit.

Raub - You're probably right that I should jump and then learn to swim. However, I have this uncanny ability to analysis something to death. I'm working on that...
If you analyze the Defender purchase, you will decide against it. Better to just buy it and then learn as you go. Of course, good value/price goes without saying....

Good Luck!!!!!!!
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:59 PM
wmatos1001
William
1994 NAS Defender 90

Registry
The truck looks great from those pics but there could be a LOT more going on there that you need to investigate. I also have a 1994 soft top that came with a fiberglass factory option hard top. As for the Tickford, not the most practical but original to the truck and hard to come by so keep it if you buy it (even if you get a more modern top). I agree with everyone on the lift. If you buy it get rid of it. Rovers North has the stock suspension components you would likely need if you want to go that route.

Assuming you check it out in person look under driver and passenger floor mats carefully for rust on the bottom foot panels, look at bottoms of all doors for rust (especially driver and passenger), look carefully at the rear cross member (what you might think is the rear bumper) particularly look at it from inside the rear wheel well, look at the entire rear frame while you are back there for excessive rot as well. That and look at the bottom of the roll cages where they tie into / bolt to the body all around the vehicle for rust as well. You may also notice rust on the bolts of the door hinges or the hinges themselves rusting. This is common and an easy fix with replacement hardware/hinges readily available. I did them myself and wasn't more than a weekend job.

After that look for leaks underneath, I know everyone says all Rovers leak and all old cars do, but that does not mean you should be okay with noticeable or excessive leaking. Mine has 121k miles and more "weaps" some oil on the pavement as opposed to leaks (mine weaps through the oil cooler braided hoses a bit). As for starting, some take a bit to crank but it should not be more than 3 seconds or so. Also check idle when running. It should be solid and not volatile/up and down or certainly not running high (should run just under 1,000 rpm or dead on it). Any of those signs could be as simple as a tune up or more of an issue like a throttle positioning sensor (TPS) At least that was the issue with my 1994.

I hope it works out for you, my 1994 is my first Rover that I bought last July and I love it.

Last piece of advice, do not buy this unless you have a good amount of discretionary income to spend on it. You will always find things to enhance, restore, just plain fix, or add to it. It will never end, it is like a disease but a good one. You will love having it!
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:11 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Why does yours weap at oil cooler lines? Aren't they compression fittings?
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:03 AM
gilby
Chris
1994 Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionfender View Post
Great suggestion, Josh! I should have done that right away. Here are the pics:
If you get it and want to ditch the Tickford, I'll take it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
d90, nas, 90