Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Costco Tire Jackassery

So I am at Costco today pricing some BF Goodrich Mud KMs in 255/85 for my 90.

I knew I was in trouble when the guy asked me what vehicle they were for so his computer could help him. I told him it didn't matter as all I needed was the price. So he proceeds to tell me that they need to verify if they can actually install them on my vehicle. Okay, whatever. So his little glowing box tells him that the 255/85s are not the recommended tire and they CAN'T and WON'T install them!

"Why not" I sez?

"Because the computer says we can't" replies the counter dude.

"What?, are you kidding" was my reply

"So how are you installing those 35" boggers on that Ford with the 2ft lift right now," as I pointed to the truck sitting in their bay.

"He has a lift. But we are not supposed to install tires if the computer says we can't." replied the guy.

"What about that Caddy with 22" Dubs sitting out there, does your computer say those are recommended?" I sarcasticly replied.

I just gave up and walked away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2009, 02:06 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
i feel your pain. I had the same exact experience trying to buy a battery at Sears for the 46 Chevy. The guy asks what year is the vehicle and I tell him not to worry about i just need a battery but he insists. Ok its a 1946. Oh well my computer doesnt got back that far. Exactly.
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:24 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

I simply brought in my steelies, told them that the Rover these go on was built in England, (duh) so it wouldn't match what the computer says should go on it. Good to go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Same thing happened to me with walmart repairing a valve stem. They wouldn't pull the tire off the truck themselves. I had to use their floor jack and yank it myself and bring it in.
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:30 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Yeah, Costco is notorious for that... has always been their policy. I found the best bet was to find a local shop that'll do it, and then drop ship tires from an online store to the tire shop if they allow it.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:04 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Ditto on all this. So funny looking for tires or anything for the Defender.
Costco only had 3 tires on line and would do nothing else. Sears was a joke, they had lots of tires but stressed a $240 tire as the only fit. I had a Sear.com print out in hand with different pricing. Reply said the Sears man, "Well, those tires not in stock here and would have a fee added if delivered. And Sears wanted to include a $26.00 a tire installation fee.
I ended up at American tire. They matched the Sears web price, installed it for less than 1/2 the price, and key - the guy on the phone and at the counter did not have his head up is arse (ala Sears). For good friendly, competent service I will pay a bit more.
Costco - lost; Sears morons
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:17 PM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

Be careful with Costco tires. We had a bad experience where they would not honor the tire warranties because we did not rotate/balance the tires EXACTLY to their schedule...

Discount Tire is still the best in my experience.
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:55 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Tires

Nothing but good things to say about Discount Tire........
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:28 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Or NTB

But if you really want to use costco, try another store, or roll the wheels in...
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover
Nothing but good things to say about Discount Tire........
I LOVE Discount Tire and have purchased all our tires from them, but since moving to VA, there are no stores here. We have Merchants tire here. Oh, THAT'S another hilarious story:

So I take the spare tire from my D90 in to Merchants Tire to have a matching size tire mounted. I ordered the correct size online and only needed them to swap it out. When I go to pick up the mounted tire they offer to throw it in the back of my Durango. Sure! So he puts it in there. Thanks! Then the guy walks away and doesn't come back. I go inside to ask about the old tire (BFG MT) - which had 100% tread left mind you, the guy had the nerve to say "oh, you wanted it back?" Then goes OUT TO HIS CAR to retrieve it!!!!!

What are people thinking?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:52 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

If you are in the Redwood City CA area you cant beat Five Point Tire. Had me in and out in less than 40 minutes on a Saturday and were cheaper than Costco and only 5 bucks more per tire than Four Wheel Wholesale.
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:55 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Ive had good luck with Discount Tire.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
I simply brought in my steelies, told them that the Rover these go on was built in England, (duh) so it wouldn't match what the computer says should go on it. Good to go...
Another way to do this is to bring only the wheels and say they go on a Hummer (or whatever truck runs the size of tires you are trying to fit).
Last time, I went to get a quote, the guy mentioned something about not being able to honnor the warranty. But I can't see how they could not if you just bring the wheels in. Anyway, with mounting, etc, so far I could not beat Costco's prices on the tires I was looking to put on (which I ended up not buying) [I think I was looking for BFG ATs and MTs KM].
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah thats always been the issue for me. I'd love to get my truck tires are Costco but they only sell sissy tires.

/me ducks and runs
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Yeah thats always been the issue for me. I'd love to get my truck tires are Costco but they only sell sissy tires.

/me ducks and runs
Whooooshh! (The sound of my shoe being hurled at you)

They actually quoted me $20 more per tire than the other local shops, so I just left....

Semper Fi!
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
Whooooshh! (The sound of my shoe being hurled at you)
I think you missed him.... 2nd shoe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Rescue
They actually quoted me $20 more per tire than the other local shops, so I just left....
Interesting.... So insurance, mounting and all included, the local shop was still cheaper than Costco? I've got to ask: where did you go? I have two tires to replace on the LR3 and Costco does not want to sell [sissy] tires for it, so.... I need to start looking (seriously.... it's becoming urgent).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:09 AM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
Tell them the tires are for a Land Rover Series. I bet it isn't in there computer so they won't know.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonLand
Interesting.... So insurance, mounting and all included, the local shop was still cheaper than Costco? I've got to ask: where did you go? I have two tires to replace on the LR3 and Costco does not want to sell [sissy] tires for it, so.... I need to start looking (seriously.... it's becoming urgent).
I actually just came from Merchants Tire and they wanted $20 MORE per tire than Costco. I am still checking around.

Semper Fi!
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Ya I am in the same boat I need two BFG MT KM's 33x10.50 and they are pretty pricey all around VA. I was going to try Costco, but evidently that seems to be a bust although a buddy of mine got his done their for his 85 CJ7 and they were about the same size.
Old January 24th, 2009, 04:45 PM
D90DRC
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW

I always tell them its for a Custom Application / Race Truck....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, tire